Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Pond Project

Suburban 550

Hey Stephen,

Nice old tractors. Good luck with the restoration and can't wait to see them finished.

T-Mo

Stephen,

That is a nice find, but now, all finds will be judged by Ken's Jackpot Thread. You just gotta look harder, man. :D

Rollerman

Now Terry are we talking qauntity or historical qaulity. :D

For now I'm just concentrateing on one..I may find a new home for the other.

Only so much room in my shop for show queens & the Levers a lot like a D with no attachments...takes up a lot of space. :P

T-Mo

You got a point there. Okay, Ken wins for quantity and you win for the historical find. :D

I can't wait to see the pictures of the "one" when you're finished. As for the other one, why not keep it and just cover it up if you don't have room. But, I guess, it would make sense to let someone else restore it. It would be a waste to let it just sit there. :P

Rollerman

The other one is sitting in the shop nice & dry....preserved at this point preventing further rust or rot.

I'm not in a hurry to send it packing either.

Hopefully I pick up my gear sometime next week & start makeing progress on the 1st one again. :D

Rollerman

Another update with pics this time!

I picked up my new gear today at Friskney Gear & Machine Corp. in Corunna, IN.

I want to give my compliments to Randy Thomas at Friskney...I doubt he will read this thread but want to voice my appreciation for the work he did. :D

I would highley recomend them for anyone needing machine/gear work in the tri state area.

Anyways I'm back on track & in the process of primeing & painting.

I hope to have it back on 4 tires soon.

The next step will be the engine....I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this B&S ZZP has the same reputaiton as a Kohler. :P

"New gear"

0129081505a.jpg

"New gear along side the good original"

0129081505.jpg

"Progress so far...primeing & painting the small parts"

0129081631.jpg

combatmp29r

Stephen, It looks good, the new gear looks like it will work great. I am curiouse though, The primed and painted parts don't looklike enough to build a pond :D

You should have had them all ready for paint waiting on the gear right? :( :P

Greg B.

Stephen,

Congrats on your progress on these unusual machines. :D Are you going to mill the web of the new gear to match the original?

Greg B.

Rollerman

Greg there were 2 differant types of Gears used in the Pond Levers...one was cast like my original...other Ponds had them made out of plate steel much like the duplicate I had made.

It was more a matter of what was available for the cheapest price I'd guess?

This weekend I will weld it to the axle & hope to have the tractor painted by then so I can put the gears back on.

Ones the bull gear covers are on it won't make any differance. :P

Joel there really isn't a lot to a Lever Steer & I did put it on the back burner for a bit while I waited on parts.

With the parts in I am motivated to get it on all fours again. :D

combatmp29r

I remembered you saying that you were taking abreak from it while you waited on the gear, but I had to poke at something :D

chevelletown

It looks like they did one heck of a job on that gear. :( Was it expensive? Did they machine each tooth or did they cut it with some hi-tech system? A buddy of mine works in a machine shop and they have a water jet system that cut up to 3" thick steel :( May be you'll have it on all fours by the time I stop back trough with that D250 :D Great project (just for the record I think it was a better find than mine :P ) Keep us posted.

Rollerman

Ken to be honest my heart sank when I pulled the bull gear cover off the 1st time. :P

I just thought it was gonna be crazy expensive to have one made...& I'd heard a few stories of other guys restoreing levers with broke or missing gears.

Anyways I made some phone calls includeing Schafer Gear where the Ponds had the originals made..."yes there still in business"...they quoted me close to $5000...yep thats right a 5 with 3 zeros. :(

I stoped in at a local "Amish" tractor repair place asking if they knew of anyone.

They gave me Friskney's number...after talking to Randy "owner" on the phone & telling him what I had & was doing he told me $150!!!!!!

Friskney Gear is an interesting place with old school equipment...no CNC or water jet stuff.

Randy ordered the blank to size & hand cut each tooth. :D

Rollerman

Been busy tonight...seem to have Pond insomnia. :D

Here's a shot of the frame being painted tonight....just so Joel won't poke at something. :P

0130080041.jpg

T-Mo

Stephen,

That new gear looks real good. Sometimes the old shops are the ones to go to. Don't have as much overhead. They might be slower and have work pile up in front of them, but they're less expensive.

Your last post, that is starting to look nice. Not having much experience with Ponds, I'm curious on it's set up. With this picture I'm starting to get a better idea on their build. :D

WheelHorse_of_course

Amen Treed,

I am learning a lot too. Now that I see that most recent picture I understand what the bull gear is!

This will be highly edumacational for me :D

Greg B.

Stephen,

Is that a Model A Ford rear end?

Greg B.

kpinnc

Stephen,

Beautiful work on the Pond! :D

Can't wait to see the rest!

Kevin

Rollerman

Thanks guys for the comps. :D

Greg it is a Ford Model A rear end...cut down drive shaft & transmission too

Little bit of history...the Speedex company were able to obtain the same parts right from the Ford factory untill Ford stepped into the tractor business & cut them off.

Where as the Ponds "Cecil & Elmer" sourced there parts used in junk yards around South Bend....so there were a lot of various combinations.

Both of my 2 Pond Levers have a differant type of Ford Model A tranmission even though they were both produced in 1946.

Okay here's tonights teaser pic of todays progress....the steering is back together & I will have the rear end back together tommorrow.

Those tires are just temporary.

0130082014.jpg

kpinnc

Stephen, what kind of paint are you using?

Rollerman

Valspar IH Red Restoration series...rattle can.

I'm still gun shy. :D

kpinnc

Looks good in my book. Nothing wrong with being gun shy. I hear good things about the Valspar.

I got some Valspar- both mix to use and a rattle can for touch ups. I haven't used it yet, but am itching to do so. Got a couple gift cards to TSC for Christmas, so I had to get some!

Keep the pictures coming!

Kevin

T-Mo

Stephen,

Rattle can or not, it looks good. It wouldn't make any difference what kind of paint I was using, quality or not, as I'm a poor painter, even with the rattle cans. :D

I like to see a project like this, in it's stages. It almost makes me think I can do it. :P

Rollerman

A little more of last nights progress.

Installed the bell housing, grease zerks, painted the bull gear covers & started tearing into the Briggs ZZP engine.

I don't suppose anyone here knows the specs for the valves on a Briggs ZZP engine?

0131080147.jpg

0131080146.jpg

Buzz

A little more of last nights progress.

Installed the bell housing, grease zerks, painted the bull gear covers & started tearing into the Briggs ZZP engine.

I don't suppose anyone here knows the specs for the valves on a Briggs ZZP engine?

Is this what you're looking for? Tractor looks great :D , all the Deeres are turning green with envy..............

http://www.brownandwiser.com/pdf/antique_e..._spec_chart.pdf

nylyon

I would have said we can take a good guess on the valves, and my guess would have been WAY wrong! Great find Buzz.