Sign in to follow this  
Eric Capozzi

68 Electro 12 project

Eric Capozzi

I found this Wheel Horse Electro 12 for sale. It is definitely going to be a long hard project. I am needing a little help on the electric clutch/pto. It is completely frozen....any ideas???

wh2.jpg

wh10.jpg

bowtiebutler956

I'd start by soaking it down with some PB blaster. Looks like a great project! :WRS:

Matt :flags-texas:

Eric Capozzi

yeah I've been using some Ion activated penetrating oil, liquid torch and PB... Tried using the 5/8" x 11 bolt they tell you to use and so far no luck. This is my first restoration of anything. The metal is pitted real bad so I took the hood off and gave to my buddy to work on, hes a body guy so hopefully it will come out good.

I'd start by soaking it down with some PB blaster. Looks like a great project! :WRS:

Thank you. Proud to have just bought my first Wheel Horse.

bowtiebutler956

You definitely got a good one to start out with. Mine looked about like that before I restored it, right down to the bird droppings all over it. :ychain: I don't have any experience with those electric clutches, but I would continue to soak it, and maybe some gentle massaging with a hammer. Good Luck with your Horse, and keep us posted on your progress. :thumbs:

Eric Capozzi

I will definitely post more pics

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Looking forward to seeing progress on it! Jake

Eric Capozzi

Thank you, looking forward to doing this project. I'm considering a complete rebuild of the k301 that's on it. Original owner used it to mow up until 2010, a guy bought it to restore and never touched it, just left it outside. No deck, no plow or anything just the tractor. I am wondering what the original size deck came on it. I've got the original manual and sales receipt. The guy couldn't find it but has now found it and is mailing it all to me.

jay in nc

for a deck there are i think 3 choices, a 48 in side discharge & 42 in rear & side discharge. all three are reasonablly priced. Jay

smoreau

Also a 36" RD and SD decks were the most popular for that model.

Eric Capozzi

There's a guy here local that has a 41" deck....most likely a 42" deck he wants $150 for it. It is in fairly decent shape.

Lars

:WRS: Looking forward to seeing progress

can whlvr

if the deck is in fair shape thats a fair price

TT

:WRS:

That tractor could have had a 36" two-blade (rear discharge), 42" side discharge, or 48" side discharge deck when sold new. The rest of those mentioned above weren't invented yet.

You may end up needing to press the crankshaft out of the clutch & drive pulley if it's stuck that bad.

Eric Capozzi

well I got the clutch freed up, hopefully its salvageable. Only problem is the clutch still wont come off....I guess time will tell

jusjeepn

My $50 69 Electro started like this,

011.jpg

After fluids changed, fuel pump, carb rebuild, new fuel line and a little wiring,

019-2.jpg

After a little paint,

002-8.jpg

And a few more for good measure,

007.jpg

012.jpg

It sat outside it's entire life before I got it. For 3 years before I bought it, it wasn't even started. Now it's one of my main workers. It does all the ground engaging work so it's getting quite the workout here lately getting the garden ready!

Eric Capozzi

Very nice

farmerall

Looks like it will be a fun project and it looks liek a complete tracotr so you won't need to find alot of parts.

I have a 69 Electro 12. I think it has a 42 inch deck on it but I never measured so I can't be sure. Also I think that they came with hubcaps originally too and If you want to get a pair of them they can be pretty expensive.

100_3827.jpg

Eric Capozzi

So just an update on the Electro. I finally got everything freed up. All the handles work great. Looking to buy a throttle and choke set because the old ones are trashed. Not sure if the hydro works yet but it does still have an original Wheel Horse filter on the Trans. I thought that was awesome. But it's gonna have to be changed I'm sure. The governor gear shaft is bent a little, not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. Computer crashed but I will post more pics soon.