1maidenfan

416-8 good or not?

1maidenfan

Looking at purchasing a wheel horse 416-8 for $300 has the twin onan engine with a 42" deck.

I own nothing but D wheel horses and I need some thing a little smaller to get into tight spots.

Not sure of the hours (if it even has an hour meter).

Found on craigslist in fort wayne , in.

Any thoughts on if this is a good purchase?

Thanks.post-4490-0-59171300-1334001825.jpg

leeave96

The 416-8 is a very good tractor. If there is a "weak" link, it is the Onan engine. Not that Onan is bad, I've got two 520H tractors with Onans. They can be a bit of trouble at times, if the valve seat comes out due to over heating, most reading I have done says the engine is cooked. However, the Onans are very smooth, have plenty of power and sound super cool.

Having said that, if it starts and runs, you would have a very good tractor. Also for $300, a good buy too.

Good luck,

Bill

1maidenfan

Thanks.

Owner says it runs good and found out it has around 480 hours.

I am wanting something with a manual trans also and this fits exactly what I am wanting.

I have a twin 16 onan in my D160, so I am a little familiar with the onan engine.

boovuc

I'll chime in that the 416-8 speed is a great worker. Your Onan on the D series isn't quite the same as the P216 on this tractor though. D series ran the older BF's I think and they didn't suffer from the exhaust valve seat failures of the P's in the 300, 400 and 500 series Toro/Wheelhorse. That's a good price if everything is functional on it!

1maidenfan

I'll chime in that the 416-8 speed is a great worker. Your Onan on the D series isn't quite the same as the P216 on this tractor though. D series ran the older BF's I think and they didn't suffer from the exhaust valve seat failures of the P's in the 300, 400 and 500 series Toro/Wheelhorse. That's a good price if everything is functional on it!

So whats a good way to know if the exhaust valve seat is bad, will it smoke ?

Thanks

Yes, my D160 does have the bf engine, good call

boovuc

You'll know if it goes bad. technically, it's either functioning as in the valve seat is secure or you will have a multitude of problems with the most obvious being it won't run or it barely runs. There are many topics on this issue but again, I don't want to belabor the chatter about it, If you maintain these Onan engines by changing the oil often and keeping the rear cylinder cleaned out of any debris, you'll be good to go with it.

Here is a link from the "Engine Forum" called "Onan" from just a few days ago that will give you a broad view of the Onan engine. Likes, dislikes and many opinions.

I own two Onan powered horses including a 418-8 Speed. This tractor is my go-to tractor for all four seasons.

Good Luck!

Foozerush

I saw that ad also.... I want to jump on it and have twin tractors, but space in garage sorta stopped me from calling. I see it has the rear discharge deck that i would like to have for mine, I have the 42 side. Anyways offer him 200 and see where it goes too... I love the power of mine, I mowed the back yard ( I let it get tall, wanted to see what it could handle) and mowing 9-12 inches in most of it with throttle only about 3/4 and handle it no problem.....

Sparky

I agree that the valve seat issue is present with the ONANS.....but its usually the 20hp motor and not the 16. I think the 16, 18 and 20 share the same block and the 20 has more block material removed and thats why they are more apt to loose a valve seat from overheating.

That machine has low hours (although the way it looks I would have guessed much more, no offence) and if it starts and runs good you should go for it. It'll feel like a go-cart compared to those "D's".

Mike..............

can whlvr

it is a problem with the 16,s too,just ask gary from orillia,his let go and it was the 16 and from what i see in his posts he takes care of his equipment,but maybe its the gaurd not letting the air flow

1maidenfan

I agree that the valve seat issue is present with the ONANS.....but its usually the 20hp motor and not the 16. I think the 16, 18 and 20 share the same block and the 20 has more block material removed and thats why they are more apt to loose a valve seat from overheating.

That machine has low hours (although the way it looks I would have guessed much more, no offence) and if it starts and runs good you should go for it. It'll feel like a go-cart compared to those "D's".

Mike..............

I said the same thing. :huhs: Looks like it has not been well taken care of. :dunno:

It'll feel like a go-cart compared to those "D's".

Mike..............

:woohoo: love go carts.

Thanks

You'll know if it goes bad. technically, it's either functioning as in the valve seat is secure or you will have a multitude of problems with the most obvious being it won't run or it barely runs. There are many topics on this issue but again, I don't want to belabor the chatter about it, If you maintain these Onan engines by changing the oil often and keeping the rear cylinder cleaned out of any debris, you'll be good to go with it.

Here is a link from the "Engine Forum" called "Onan" from just a few days ago that will give you a broad view of the Onan engine. Likes, dislikes and many opinions.

I own two Onan powered horses including a 418-8 Speed. This tractor is my go-to tractor for all four seasons.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the info. :handgestures-thumbup:

1maidenfan

I saw that ad also.... I want to jump on it and have twin tractors, but space in garage sorta stopped me from calling. I see it has the rear discharge deck that i would like to have for mine, I have the 42 side. Anyways offer him 200 and see where it goes too... I love the power of mine, I mowed the back yard ( I let it get tall, wanted to see what it could handle) and mowing 9-12 inches in most of it with throttle only about 3/4 and handle it no problem.....

Thanks, will try and offer him less but seemed pretty firm because of hours. The condition of it is my concern so I will check it out, run it and go from their.

Hydro

I have written on a lot of posts about my Onan experience. First & only engine I ever lost...450 hours but...since joining this site I have learned so much more about these engines that maybe I could have prevented it? :confusion-confused: For the money if it's running I would offer on it. If you are in doubt do a compression test. If you get it, read boovuc's link and do the belt guard modification and KEEP THE AIR WAYS CLEAN! Good luck with it. I loved mine...til it failed. :deadhorse:

AMC RULES

The eight speed rear makes it fairly rare too, typically the twins are hydro units.

IMHO, if it's running like is should, that's a nice price. :twocents-twocents:

ericj

i think it is a pretty good deal for $300.00 it is worth that in parts. it looks like a 88 or 89. i think some reason the onan get a bad rap for the back cylinder blowing the rod or valve seat is o. e. (operator error ). not keeping the cylinder clean, and not running w.o.t. when working them. i was all ways told by my dads dealer to run all kohler and onan wot because they make just as much heat at 1/2 throttle as wot but don't get as much air flow over the heads from the flywheel. also i have found several onan's that had a lot of oil build up around the oil filter area from when the filter gets changed and not cleaned up. i love the sound of an onan and the power and torque of them. when i mowed my yard for the first time this year i mowed with my 520-8 and a 60" deck in high 2nd gear with high damp grass and she just power right on through, better than a 314-8 with a 48"

eric

tgranthamfd

The 42" RD. deck will not throw as many clippings up around the engine, either, so it may be in good running shape.

1maidenfan

The eight speed rear makes it fairly rare too, typically the twins are hydro units.

IMHO, if it's running like is should, that's a nice price. :twocents-twocents:

That is one of the reasons I wanted it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

smoreau

That will not last long at $300 !! It is actually a steel for that price, If you parted it out you could get over $1000 for it. Not that I would do that but just saying. For me it would be in the shed already :handgestures-thumbupright:

1maidenfan

That will not last long at $300 !! It is actually a steel for that price, If you parted it out you could get over $1000 for it. Not that I would do that but just saying. For me it would be in the shed already :handgestures-thumbupright:

Trying to set up time to look at it, Im busy today (tue.) and he is busy wed. and thur. looks like friday. Fridays are good and this one is a payday friday, even better.

Thanks for all the info, encouragement and helpfull pointers.

John

546cowboy

Just be glad I don't know where it's at. If it was anywhere close it wouldn't be there now. Where I live you have to shell out $300 for non-running Wheel Horses. You guys on the east coast are really lucky you live where you do. Lately there have been some really amazing deals on RS and I am starting to wonder if many of you aren't those fisherman with stories. :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: So when you get that deal you better post the pictures.

tgranthamfd

That is a good deal. 400 series in my area is a no go, and if you find a 500 series it has been severly abused. The 400 series has always been on my wish list, hope you do get it. I'll bet she will clean up nice.

1maidenfan

Just be glad I don't know where it's at. If it was anywhere close it wouldn't be there now. Where I live you have to shell out $300 for non-running Wheel Horses. You guys on the east coast are really lucky you live where you do. Lately there have been some really amazing deals on RS and I am starting to wonder if many of you aren't those fisherman with stories. :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: So when you get that deal you better post the pictures.

I will definatly post pic's if I get it. Looks like Friday before we can both free up time to meet.

1maidenfan

Picked up the 416-8 today. Sat in this guys barn for over a year :confusion-shrug: (it shows). Guy said he ran it out of fuel before he put it in the barn, he didnt want fuel sitting in it and going bad. :eusa-clap: He put a battery in it, added some fuel to it, cranked it 3-4 times and :woohoo: the 16 onan came to life. :happy-jumpeveryone: little bit of smoke but that was from choking it. After it ran for a couple min's it smoothed right out. :wicked: Tried the mower deck and :soapbox: belt started to smoke at the pto. :dunno: looked at the deck a little closer and noticed straw sticking out from underneath, the blades where wrapped tight with field straw :confusion-confused: . Cleaned all that out and hit the pto...mower spins great. No noise or anything. :bow-blue: Owner said spindles were replaced 2-3 years ago. mics. other items were new also.

I did end up paying $314 for it but that did include an extra mule drive and a snow/dozer blade that I didnt know he had.

Will update as I get in to cleaning it and giving it a good service. I was able to get a few pic's and will get more.

It is missing a few items, 1- belt guard for main drive belt. 2- deck belt covers. 3 - floor boards (if thats what they are called on this) Will be in need of these parts. Any one with these and willing to sale, please PM me.

Thanks.

post-4490-0-22631300-1334369738_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-24838000-1334369758_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-21477900-1334369775_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-55277000-1334369793_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sparky

Awsome!! I bet 15 minutes with some soapy water and a sponge would make that look like a totally different tractor.

Mike...........

1maidenfan

Awsome!! I bet 15 minutes with some soapy water and a sponge would make that look like a totally different tractor.

Mike...........

I'm hoping so, it has bird poo all over the top and the seat. So ya a good cleaning is in its near future. Suppose to rain here :handgestures-fingerscrossed: on saturday which will give me the time to get it all cleaned and ready.

Thanks.

can whlvr

seems like a good deal,those parts will be an east find,lots of machines to choose from that will work