Foozerush

clutch spring on 416-8

ebinmaine

I have two different tractors that I use on a regular basis and one of them is quite sensitive.

Some of us have gotten in the habit of idling way down, engaging clutch, idling engine back up.

123GO

Hello OP' or fellow hoosier, it seems I only missed this tractor deal by a decade and a couple hundred miles, dangit I was so' close man.. lol  You know' I'd even offered to pay you $10 over what you gave him for it too. I mean, I'm a fair guy and honestly wouldn't want anyone here to think I ripped you off or anything buying it from you..lol  You'd make a nice profit and all. Friend!!...lol  Very nice tractor and I hope she's still running/mowing with no issues all these yrs. Its just remarkable how people just discard the best tractors and cars on earth having such little/no knowledge of what they have in their possession.  Like most always seem to do' sell it to buy a shiny new MTD...Geeez!   

Yes' get rid of the p.o.c. dampener for future WH owners!!!   I took mine off my 1988 414-8 last year but' I came here looking for the spring part number again for another tractor. My partimers has kicked in high gear..lol  None of my older Wheel Horses ever had a dampener, only the mentioned clutch spring on the opposite side #108035 thats much more reliable.

fwiw- They installed the dampener for an easier takeoff vs spring but if you simply learn to let a clutch out slowly you never needed it anyway. I didn't like how it operated from the start because I had older horses and standard shift vehicles for years, actually had my first clutch motorcycle at age 10 so at times I hated that dampener.

It may take some getting used to the spring never having a WH without a dampener, she's really gonna take off so hold on to her reins tight..lol  I also run a True Blue belt, they really help put more hp to wheels too.

Thanks everyone~

Peace!

Edited by 123GO
  • Like 1