Sign in to follow this  
cheesegrader

Mule drive spring for 60" deck

cheesegrader

I was able to find the proper mule drive with the spring for my 60" mowing deck.

The spring is curiously attached over the top of the housing. It doesn't seem right.

Isn't is supposed to be attached to the 1/4" square opening on the side plate?

Does anybody have a picture of how it is supposed to be, or information about the proper spring size/location?

This just looks screwed up, and I would like to get it right before I launch parts all over the yard!

zieg72

The spring is in the right spot as you describe. As you are looking at the mule it is hooked to the upper left hand side.

DrabHorse

The spring on my mule drive is hooked onto the rod going across the front of the attach a matic hitch. It seems to work without any problems, but I always wondered if that was correct. So now how is it really supposed to be hooked up? A picture would be a great help for this. thanks

tiggercl

The spring on my mule drive is hooked onto the rod going across the front of the attach a matic hitch. It seems to work without any problems, but I always wondered if that was correct. So now how is it really supposed to be hooked up? A picture would be a great help for this. thanks

Here are a few pics..

post-3812-0-85395600-1333531124.jpg

post-3812-0-37982300-1333531135.jpg

cheesegrader

Thanks tigger,

I don't know how a guy in Australia did it,

But I think that is a picture of the exact mule drive that I just bought!

Have you been lurking around my garage?

tiggercl

Thanks tigger,

I don't know how a guy in Australia did it,

But I think that is a picture of the exact mule drive that I just bought!

Have you been lurking around my garage?

Nah.. 'borrowed' the pics from ebay because I didn't know where that spring fitted either...

Dave1966 also sent me a few pics of the 60" mule drive a while back....

FYI building a 60" mule drive from parts costs around $200... don't ask me how I know...

Paul

• Like 1

DrabHorse

Thanks for the pics. I'll be looking at mine tomorrow to put it the correct way.

bluechevy79

Here are a few pics..

bluechevy79

Thanks very much. I just acquired a 60" deck with mule drive and started using it on a 520 this spring. Shredded the belt after 2 mowings, and bought a new belt.Ran it 3 minutes and saw some bad wear on both sides of belt so got on here to investigate. The mule drive that came with the deck is identical to my 48" decks and I had no idea it was the wrong one. Now I need to find the right one but problem solved. thx again