Sign in to follow this  
kadetklapp

Seeking input on what to do with a dying Horse

AMC RULES

Keep the faith...Rooster's gonna hook you up. :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

kadetklapp

Wow thanks Rooster. I talked to three machine shops yesterday and it's pretty obvious that they don't want the work. I was going to just buy the valve and try it, think I ought to just wait?

I don't need to mow with it this summer. Got a free 2004 Poulan rider that didn't run. Was sitting in the woods where it was dumped out the back of a pickup. Intek Birggs motor. I put a new fuel filter on it, cleaned out the tank, new spark plug, aired up the front tire and was mowing with it last night.

SAM58

Fix it, Restore it...

That's what it's all about.

Don1977

There is just one thing to do resurrect that horse.

kadetklapp

I found a used Kohler KT17S locally that came from a C-175 Wheel Horse. Guy wants $200 USD for it.

Says it runs but the carb needs cleaned. What does the brain trust think?

Sparky

Is it a series 1 motor? I think the series 1 motors had their own set of problems that were cleared up with the introduction of the series 2.

I think the serial number is how its figured out which series you have. If you post the serial number someone here will know if its a 1 or 2.

Mike..............

Docwheelhorse

I think the series one versus series two thing is simple to identify... series one no oil filter series two filter because of pump to fix rod starvation issue.... I might be wrong but don't think so

Tony

kadetklapp

Here's the engine info-

Spec# 24223

Model# KT17S

Ser# 12159327

Pic of the motor-

5I75Gb5J33Gd3I33Hcc42dd2ed27c72f71eef.jpg

pfrederi

Based on spec # it is a Series 1. Oil filter or lack of is not a valid identifier. WH used Series 2 KT 17s in 417's they did not have an oil filter. It was an option that the end user had to spe4cify. Some users e.g. JD and others did spec an oil filter. I do not believe any Series 1 had an oil filter.

FYI the Series 2 spec numbers are 24300 or higher

kadetklapp

So should I avoid this engine?

Jim_M

If you don't mow hills or ditch banks and keep the oil clean and topped off it should be fine. It doesn't hurt to run an extra pint of oil in the series ones.

kadetklapp

I do have a hill out back that is short but quite steep. Plus I don't know the real history on the motor, if it's been ran dry in the past or whatnot. I guess I'll pass. At $200 I can't afford to gamble on that.

Jim_M

If you mow up and down the hill instead of sideways you'll be ok, just run an extra pint of oil in the engine. When the engine tips too far to the left or right it will starve for oil, but it can tip foreward or backward much further without starving. $200.00 isn't a lot of money if it's a sound engine.

kadetklapp

After a lot of though I've decided to try and just sell the tractor :(

I simply don't have the money or time it needs put into it. If anyone is interested, let me know.