rmaynard

Will Gas Prices Keep You From The Show?

VinsRJ

Hello Bob,

well I usually travel with Sparky and his son, my son tags along too. But this year my daughter (who has been asking for several years) is going. I haven't decided whether I am going to load up a pair of my Commando's onto my 5x8 and tow it with my Buick/3800 V6 or whether to take my 2500 Chevy Crew Cab and 6x12. The Buick pulled 20 mpg just pulling the empty trailer and I figure it would be doing 15 dragging a 1300 pound load of tractor and trailer. The truck would pull 10 mpg and I'm looking at roughly $300 to run the truck or $200 running the Buick. Maybe less if the Buick does better than 15.... it normally gets 24/25 just running by itself. Either way I will be there.

Tony

Suck it up and take the truck.... the 3800 is not a pulling machine. And you know I have one too.

Docwheelhorse

Hey Vin....

well the 3800 has enough to get r done.... its the trani that I don't want to beat the stuffing out of. The owners manual says the car will pull 3500 when equipped with trailer brakes. My 5x8 probably weighs 300 and each tractor is maybe 550 so I would have a tow load of 1400 plus me and the two kids which is 400 more plus some tools and clothes. That will put the car around 5500 rolling..... thats alot on 175 hp and a TH200R4. I have to decide if I want to "beat" it for 750 miles... Tony

P.S.----car only has 80,000 miles and runs synthetic oils...

Terry M

I'm just planning to go to Charlotte MI this year. thats about 10 hrs driving and a lot of gas coming from Minnesota. I'm glad, for other reasons, I'm not driving to the PA show this year because that would be a lot of $$$ to get there. I really want to go next year but I'll have to wait to see how gas prices are next year before I decide.

VinsRJ

Hey Vin....

well the 3800 has enough to get r done.... its the trani that I don't want to beat the stuffing out of. The owners manual says the car will pull 3500 when equipped with trailer brakes. My 5x8 probably weighs 300 and each tractor is maybe 550 so I would have a tow load of 1400 plus me and the two kids which is 400 more plus some tools and clothes. That will put the car around 5500 rolling..... thats alot on 175 hp and a TH200R4. I have to decide if I want to "beat" it for 750 miles... Tony

P.S.----car only has 80,000 miles and runs synthetic oils...

Tony, my irregular heart beat kicks in everytime I pull my 4x8 flat bed and one tractor 100 miles round trip with my Poncho. Granted I have 126K and climbing but I've pulled with it since 28K. That 3800 and wrong wheel drive tranny never was comfortable pulling from day one.

Plus..... you're going to a tractor show.... you can't be taking the getto machine (I'm not).... you need to take the "Man" machine. :ychain:

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Planning to combine trips. Grandchildren are in Indiana, so we're traveling from PA to visit them in early June so I can go to the LAGT Extravaganza in Evansville. It's too far and too expensive to haul a trailer and tractors, but at least I'll be there. Also keeps the wife happy because she gets to see the kids.

Sparky

Something else that also factors in and helps ease the pain of the gas bill for me is this. My son is 17, has a job and a car and still wants to go with his 'ol man to the show. He allready told his boss to not schedule him for those dates. He has been with me everyyear that I have gone. I think my first show was 2003 or 2004. We dont do as much together as he gets older but he still says "yep" when I ask if he wants to go and I really cherish that. I dont pressure him to go but keep thinkin every year that this is the last year he'll go. I still remember telling him at our second show how I wanted a pair of ag's and all he wanted to do was find em for me. He musta pointed out a dozen pairs for sale. I did end up with a pair that he found.

So to me its well worth the $300 in gas to have some one on one chatting time in the truck, plus he can share the driving finally!!( so if you drive the same route as me ya better watch out for a black Dodge 2500 pullin a trailer with a crazy 17 year old behind the wheel goosing my HEMI and his dad fast asleep on the passenger side!!)

Mike..........

• Like 1

stevebo

Mike,

Great point. I am on the fence about taking my 5 year old son but I have to say he loves these tractors and hanging out with dad. Ken B was talking about taking his sone Cole and if that is the case then I will bring my boy. My problem is that moma is very nervous about having him spend 2 overnights away from her campiing with me at the tractor show... I am really looking forward to it. He will have a total blast for sure !! My only question is how many hot dogs can a 5 year old eat in 2 days ??

squonk

Something else that also factors in and helps ease the pain of the gas bill for me is this. My son is 17, has a job and a car and still wants to go with his 'ol man to the show. He allready told his boss to not schedule him for those dates. He has been with me everyyear that I have gone. I think my first show was 2003 or 2004. We dont do as much together as he gets older but he still says "yep" when I ask if he wants to go and I really cherish that. I dont pressure him to go but keep thinkin every year that this is the last year he'll go. I still remember telling him at our second show how I wanted a pair of ag's and all he wanted to do was find em for me. He musta pointed out a dozen pairs for sale. I did end up with a pair that he found.

So to me its well worth the $300 in gas to have some one on one chatting time in the truck, plus he can share the driving finally!!( so if you drive the same route as me ya better watch out for a black Dodge 2500 pullin a trailer with a crazy 17 year old behind the wheel goosing my HEMI and his dad fast asleep on the passenger side!!)

Mike..........

Make sure you clean off that passenger window real good after falling asleep over there! I'll be on the lookout for a black Dodge with someone's face planted on the glass! :ychain:

jdog_kustoms

Mike,

Great point. I am on the fence about taking my 5 year old son but I have to say he loves these tractors and hanging out with dad. Ken B was talking about taking his sone Cole and if that is the case then I will bring my boy. My problem is that moma is very nervous about having him spend 2 overnights away from her campiing with me at the tractor show... I am really looking forward to it. He will have a total blast for sure !! My only question is how many hot dogs can a 5 year old eat in 2 days ??

my 5 year old son will be there for probelly most of the time and if need ne i can have the wife run for some other food for the little ones

and i think it would be cool seeing all the kids there with maxes tractor maybe for a pic with it as a group if the parents werent upset about it

Trouty56

Mike,

Heck Steve, my wife would have told me if your going then take him with ya. I wouldn't have had it any other way. He will remember it just like you will. Kids need a lot of fluid though. It is easy to forget that.

VinsRJ

Looks like things may have changed for me.... the guy I roll with found out yesterday that he lost his job. We'll have to see how this plays out.

krazy_horse

This is my first tractor show. I am looking foward to it and counting the days. This is a business trip for my wife as she buys glass in Ohio and Pa. for resale on fle-bay. This is her fourteenth year doing it. Last trip I pulled my 5 by 10 Landscapeing trailor and the millage on my GMC went from 22 miles per gallon to 16 mpg so you can bet I will remove that big wind catching ramp and throw a couple of 2 by 6s on. Sure looking looking foward to see a lot of horses togother and meeting you guys. Regards, Jim....krazy_horse

squonk

"Seeing lots of Horses" is an understatement. I was amazed the first time I went. All the people and tractors on a Friday no less! :thumbs:

55rj35jr

WE DRIVE 6 HOURS FROM OHIO AND DO NOT LIKE THE GAS PRICES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, BUT THIS IS OUR VACATION WHERE ELSE CAN YOU SPEND TWO NIGHTS FOR $20.00 ?? WE COOK OUR OWN FOOD AND ALSO EAT THE WONDERFUL FOOD PREPARED AT THE SHOWS EAT STAND AT A VERY REASONABLE PRICE, SO IF YOU FIGURE IN WHAT YOU WOULD PAY FOR THE HOTEL AND EATING OUT AT RESTURANTS,THAT REALLY LOWERS THE FUEL COST FOR US,AND THE ENTERTAINMENT AND FELLOWSHIP IS PRICELESS!!! OUR THANKS TO THE MEMBERS AND STAFF THAT PUT ALL THE HARD WORK INTO A GREAT SHOW EVERY YEAR.

MIKE and DEB WALL

WOOSTER,OHIO

• Like 1

rmaynard

Gas prices in the area have actually dropped recently.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

How many days to go? :scratchead:

Hope it's not still snowing then. :dunno:

Trouty56

3.99 a gallon in Biglerville. Jane's Market now sells gas. Chambersburg usually has the better prices in the area. Carlisle has a couple that are a few cents cheaper also. Sheetz has the 3 cents off for the "Sheetz Card" also. I know Ohio has the Sheetz stations. I don't know if they are further west or up north.

rmaynard

I'm only 45 minutes from the show. If you are coming from a southern route, the price for gas in Maryland where I am is currently $3.75.

Trouty56

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Looks like Chambersburg is about 3.85 and so is Carlisle. Us poor 1 station towns are strong armed by the industry....haha. Hopefully by showtime it will be even lower.

Bob, maybe you could start buying gas in Maryland and bringing it to PA and selling it along the roadside for 10 cents more a gallon. Instead of a fruit and vegetable stand sell gas!!! Bring a 1000 gallon tanker up and make a 100 a day.

Ken B

Hopefully I can make it, it will all depend on what night my son's graduation from high school is. If I take my 2003 Grand Cherokee fuel will cost about 70 bucks one way. If I take my 88 Chevy half ton pickup it'll cost about 100 bucks one way. I prefer to drive my truck, whats 30 bucks anyway? I'll just smoke two less good cigars at the show.

Steve, by the time you pay for a trailer hitch for the old ladies Honda (probably a few hundred bucks) you may as well take BIG Whitey. Besides, I've seen how much stuff you throw on a 5x8. I ain't pushin you up no hills. :ychain:

krazy_horse

Gas is $3.48 today in central Georgia. It was $4.00 when Bob started this topic. You do have to look long and hard to find gas without the 10 precent blend. Jim

AMC RULES

:handgestures-fingerscrossed: At this rate, maybe gas will get back down to $2.99 a gallon...then everyone can go. :text-woo:

stevebo

I will be riding in the Diesel Dually - what the hell it is only money !!

AMC RULES

Yeah, well...you're made of money Steve. :ychain:

stevebo

I would not say that ... far from it for sure! I really enjoy being at the show in the past years.