rmaynard

Will Gas Prices Keep You From The Show?

rmaynard

With less than 100 days until show time :wh: , and the average cost gas creeping higher every day :angry-cussingblack: , will the cost of gas keep you from attending the show? I know that last year it was a factor for some.

whfan74

Well since we have been planning on attending this year's show for since late 2010, we will be there but of course aren't thrilled with the gas prices right now. We have been anticipating the high gas prices and have been saving a little money here and a little money there to alleviate the costs. If we were to leave today and return today we would spend $446.81. You can go to www.gasbuddy.com and click on "trip cost calculator" Since we are going to be pulling a 7x17 enclosed trailer we know that we will be getting around 9 miles to the gallon. :eek: We can go to the tab where we enter our own information and then hit calculate. The nice thing is that it shows our route as well as where we should stop for gas and how much each stop will be. I would highly recommend this site, if you haven't found it already, and see what your trip might cost so you can plan ahead.

So to answer the question.........yes. This will probably be a one time thing for us. It has always been my dream to take dad out one time so he can experience it. We are still looking forward to the trip and won't allow gas prices for one year from messing up our plans. The hotel is booked and all we need to do now is hop in the truck and go.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Fortunately for me, I am only 45 minutes away from the fairgrounds. Even at 8 MPG puller the trailer with 3 horses, fuel is not going to be an issue.

jimt1971

We bought a diesel truck this year to pull big red and of coarse fuel is an issue but we enjoy the show so we will be there. It also does not hurt that we are about 2 1/2 hours from the show.We have several other shows in that area later in the year that we still plan to go to.

Jim

rmaynard

Jim,

Glad to hear you and Karen will be there. Wouldn't want to think about missing the "goodie" that travel with you two. :D

specialwheelhorse

Have been there off and on for the last 4 or 5 years and would dearly

love to go but even at 25 mpg for our Tacoma we cannot justify 6 or 7

hundred plus overnighting. Looks like we have seen our last show in Pa.

Maybe the show in Pawnee Ok. will be an option for us.

JIM @ DEE in Texas

SALTYWRIGHT

I WILL BE THERE. HERE GAS IS OVER $4.00 NOW AND STILL GOING UP .....RUSS

Butch

Nothing can keep me from Pandoras Box!

SousaKerry

Hmmmm Dart has a plant in Leola, PA.....I wonder if the boss would let me go on a plant trip that week and I could just happen to schedule the flight back a couple of days late.... :eusa-think:

MalMac

Just can't justify the 400.00 + cost in fuel this year. Having to choose more needs than want's this time. Unfortunately the show is a on the want list. Hope lot's of people can go and take lots of Pictures for us that have to stay behind.

Jim_M

Diesel is at $4.25 here today, gas at $4.09. I was planning to skip the shoe this year anyway and go next year, but those fuel prices will have me skipping a lot of things.

buckrancher

we'll be there

VinsRJ

As of right now gas prices will not keep me from going. Its the weather, afternoon showers.... not a problem.... a weekend of rain.... no can do. :angry-nono:

stevebo

I plan on attending the show as well. Spoke with another and we may "truckpool" and split the costs.. Every little bit helps. Last year I drove down myself with my fuel hog 9-10mpg truck and that did not make sense. If that ends up being the case this year then I may spend the money to get a hitch installed on the wife's Honda CRV and pull the small trailer and just one or two small roundies down... I think that i will save money that way (in both directions since I have limited space to haul stuff back).

DoctorHfuhruhurr

It's only money and I'm making more every minute. I'll be there again.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

It's only money and I'm making more every minute.

From your lips to Gods ears.

rmaynard

I'll be there again.

If you are there, don't forget to show up for the group picture.

Fun Engineer

Stevebo's got an idea there. I never thought of putting a hitch on the wifes car. Hmmm.. :eusa-think:

I'm planning on attending no matter what the price. Well there is a limit :crying-blue:

MikesRJ

Me and Girlie will be there. Wifey and boy will follow.

Sparky

We did the car thing with no tractors to tool around on last year and it wasn't as much fun, so this year I'm in my truck with my landscape trailer and two tractors for my son and I. It'll set me back around $300 for fuel round trip with the truck.

I have been squirelling away a few bucks here and there for awhile now so I'm ready financially for the show.

Mike............

stevebo

Mike,

What day are you planning on going? We usually leave on Thursday morning.

Sparky

Your a full day ahead of me Steve. I'm planning on hitting the road at 4am Friday, should be there at around 10:30am.

Mike.........

Docwheelhorse

Hello Bob,

well I usually travel with Sparky and his son, my son tags along too. But this year my daughter (who has been asking for several years) is going. I haven't decided whether I am going to load up a pair of my Commando's onto my 5x8 and tow it with my Buick/3800 V6 or whether to take my 2500 Chevy Crew Cab and 6x12. The Buick pulled 20 mpg just pulling the empty trailer and I figure it would be doing 15 dragging a 1300 pound load of tractor and trailer. The truck would pull 10 mpg and I'm looking at roughly $300 to run the truck or $200 running the Buick. Maybe less if the Buick does better than 15.... it normally gets 24/25 just running by itself. Either way I will be there.

Tony

jdog_kustoms

i will be there with my uncle this year and my wife and probelly my 3 boys ( 1 son and 2 dogs)

KC9KAS

It is not so much the gas prices, but the long distance.

Maybe one of these days we will schedule our vacation to include "The Big Show".