Sign in to follow this  
rallysman

Noob! First Wheel Horse

rallysman

I remember mowing with these as I was growing up, and I just got this one that was my grandfather's. I'll name it George after him (as long as it's not bad luck to name one).

This one is fairly special (for obvious reasons) and I'd like to keep it in use. It has the deck that's not shown, and the spindles/blades/bearings were replaced before it was put out of commission years ago. I know it ran well before it was parked, but the gas that was left in it smelled nasty. I drained the gas, got a carb rebuild kit, and I'm in the market for new tires.

If you could, please give me some tips on where to get spare/replacement parts and and accessories. Also, any tips on getting it running again would be greatly appreciated. I don't plan on even cranking it over until I change the oil and update the fuel system (including rebuilt carb and new air filter).

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Here is a picture I got tonight right after I got in my driveway.

George.jpg

BairleaFarm

B)

To be honest id change the fuel filter and put new gas in it, change the oil, and fire it up. YOu would be surprised that you may not need the carb rebuild kit. Id also change the rear end fluid before I drove it to far.

rallysman

Thanks for the quick response!

I thought about trying to fire it up without tearing into the carb, but after I drained the old gas and put new gas in, it wouldn't even flow into the fuel line. There was a lot of nasty gunk/varnish in the fitting that's attached to the gas tank. I figured if the fitting was that nasty then the carb had to be even worse. If I had to guess, I'd say this thing has been stationary for about 7 years.

Thanks again for the quick response. I love it when a forum is active.

T-Mo

B) That C-120 will clean up nicely. As for parts, a Toro dealer is a good place, there's also some parts sites in the links section on the top of this forum. Ebay, Craig's list, the classifieds here are also good places to pick up parts, attachments, etc. It does sound like you may have some gumming in the fuel lines and carb. But you never know until you get a good look at the carb.

Again, welcome to the site.

linen beige

B) Rallysman!

If this were a machine that you were just planning to resell, then pouring in some fuel adding a battery and firing it up might get her started so you could clean and adjust what you needed to to make her run smooth enough to impress a potential buyer.

But since this one is an heirloom tractor and it sounds like it has been sitting for awhile, I wouldn't be reckless about starting it up.

Gently clean around the top of the spark plug and wet all the connections all over the tractor that you may need to loosen with a good penetrating oil, AND GIVE IT SOME TIME TO SOAK IN! Come back a few hours later or the next day and remove the spark plug, and pour an ounce or so of good engine oil into the cylinder to wet the rings. They are probably dry. This is a splash lubed engine and if started dry it would be dry for a minute or so before the rod could splash enough oil up onto things to really protect them.

While the oil is soaking down around the rings, pull the oil drain plug and drain the sump. Wouldn't be a bad idea to also drain the transmission and replace the filter in it as over time condensation can degrade the fluid. Since you need to check the intake for mice/spiders anyway, remove and rebuild the carb or at least open it up and give it a good cleaning. Replace all the fuel lines and filter while you have the system opened up, and make sure the fuel tank is clean.

Check and clean all the electrical connections you can to avoid later problems. It's common to find grounds that have rusted and don't make contact, and critters love that area between the dash and fuel tank.

Hit all the zerks you can find with a good grease and then search for more, there's always one hiding somewhere.

Replace the oil plug, and fill it with oil. Slowly turn the engine by hand a couple turns to spread the oil you added to the cylinder. Listen for any out of place noises while doing this, and hold a thumb over the spark plug hole to confirm you have compression.

Finally, install a new spark plug, add a good battery and some clean fuel. Now you can turn the switch and bring it back to life. Make the needed adjustments to the carb settings to smooth it out. Now go buy a new muffler, 'cause that one most likely blew away as rusty dust when it fired up.

After you've been around the yard on it many more times than you thought you would, start looking for another 'Horse to use while you restore this one. After all, it was your grandfather's and it should be preserved.

You may have noticed the links section of the forum. It has links to some of the best online places for parts. We also have a LOT of members who really know their stuff and are an invaluable asset.

One thing I wouldn't be too rushed to replace are the tires. If they are still holding air they should last for years. I have several sets of tires ages 40-50 years that are weather cracked but still hold air and are going strong.

BadDad

B) Rallysman. Very good post Jim I have made a copy of it & put it with my folder out in the garage. I will keep it for a too do 1st list. Here is just a little funny.

http://www.pigs-of-war.com/baddad/C160.jpg

Just maybe Hank has a Wheel Horse also. Happy 4th of July everyone.

rallysman

Wow! Thanks a lot:)

I just got back in from tearing into this and I'm pleasantly surprised with the feedback from here.

I've already rebuilt the carb, and in the process of removing the tank and fuel lines I found a couple of chewed wires which is no big deal. This thing is pretty simple hahah. Also, the fitting in the bottom of the gas tank fell out when I removed it . I guess pouring gas in would have been a bad idea. I did spin the motor over and it is nice and free and does have compression.

It looks like I've found the place for all of my questions and I thank you all for that.

My father owns and operates a lawn and garden shop so the engine shouldn't be a problem. I'm mostly interested in attachments.

Once again, thanks for the help and advice. I might get annoying by saying it too much, but I know that knowledge is valuable and sometimes people take forums for granted.

linen beige

B) Rallysman. Very good post Jim I have made a copy of it & put it with my folder out in the garage. I will keep it for a too do 1st list. Here is just a little funny.

http://www.pigs-of-war.com/baddad/C160.jpg

Just maybe Hank has a Wheel Horse also. Happy 4th of July everyone.

Neat carton.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I don't want anyone to think I'm the voice of authority on this by any means. I just don't like to see shortcuts taken that lead to later regrets. Guess you could call it a type of mechanic's creed to "First do no harm.".

I've done my fair share of throwing the gas and juice to some old machines myself and even though most have fired right up, the urge to hear one run right away has almost always meant spending more time fixing what I break in a hurry than I would have spent if I had just been patient.

hodge

B) Welcome, Rallysman! Be sure to update your signature, so we can see where you are and what you have! Blessings to you!

rustbucket

B) :whistle: everyone here is very very knowladgable and always ready to help.

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to the forum!

If your looking for parts and attachments then prepare yourself to go to tractor shows and swap meets. As well as craigslist and auctions.

Good luck!

Rollerman

Rallysman glad you have found the site & find it usefull...we will help you as best we can! B)

Your C120 looks like a very nice tractor & like Terry "Treed" said will clean up nice.

It looks like the headlight lense is even still intact.

It looks like Jim "Linen Biege" has come up with a good check list that I think I too will copy & put in my shop...be surprised what you can miss when your distracted. B)

the fitting in the bottom of the gas tank fell out when I removed it

Did the fuel shut off valve pull free from the rubber gromet when you removed it?

If the gromet it dry & cracked it might have leaked anyway & should be replaced...your father should have one. :whistle:

There are plenty of attachments for your model of tractor out there...in fact the C series are one of the most attachment "friendly" models out there.

You may want to start a thread in the "Wanted" section of any paticular attachments you are looking for & be sure to give your location...there are a lot of collectors out there & spread out...you may have one with what you need near by.

Again B) And hope to hear more from you & your fine C 120.

HorseFixer

B) Rallysman welcome to redsquare where you will find alot of usefull information. The most informative group and online forum on the internet.

Believe it or not you can get alot of engine parts thru nappa. Also on E-Bay for original used parts are good for like body and engine parts. And of course you should hit the swap meets or tractor shows.

Cheers Duke

linen beige

...be surprised what you can miss when your distracted. B)

So true...case in point, I have to tell this on myself. Sat. evening I went over to the church, dragged out the community push mower and drained the oil. Then I sharpened and balanced the blade (untouched for at least three years. :whistle: ) and reinstalled it. I then used my trimmer to edge and trim several hundred feet of curbing and sidewalks. I put the trimmer aside and fueled up the push mower, and reattatched the spark plug lead. Then I grabbed the starter rope and was just beginning to pull when I realized I had not refilled it with oil. B) That would have been a very costly mistake. B)

rallysman

Thanks for the warm welcome. I took the advice given here and I got it running. Not running well, but it ran. I went ahead and rebuilt the carb (it was very nasty). Now I'm having problems getting it to crank past the compression stroke. I took the starter apart and the brushes appear to be worn so that's my next step.

jrfan882008

B) bet she has alot of sentumental value to you rallysman it should clean up real nice :whistle: