Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

653 the newest to the rust bucket herd.

rustbucket

i took my dad with me since the round nose more then likely will be his ride next year at the big show and ill be on good old GT-14.

the belt guard reads 653 plain to see but he said it isnt as well instead of the 6 hp Tecumseh but instead we have a 6 hp Kohler minus the electric starter but it dose have a pull starter on it so we will run with that and later add the starter and keep the pull start on it for just in case events.

070408_1410a.jpg

rustbucket
070408_1409b.jpg

rustbucket
070408_1409a.jpg

rustbucket
070408_1409c.jpg

HorseFixer

Did I here the word "ROUNDHOOD" :whistle: nice lookin one there! Me dont have one of those! Only in that year its eldest BIG BROTHER the 953 would like to have one of those or the 753. Nice find! B)

Duke

rustbucket

duke your going to hate me. i got her for 175.00 and spent another 25.00 on a extended frame 42" plow for my GT-14.the plow has seen alot of use and abuse and the bottom of the blade and cutting edge are well um ground away and the whole pivot section is sloppy loose but nuthing that cant be shimed bushinged or redone fully. the plow was ment for a small short frame and someone hacked it and added length to make it fit a long frame. need to also fab the blade angleing rod as mine dosnt have one.

BPjunk

Jason,

The 1963 model 653 is one of the harder Wheel Horses to find as most with the aluminum block engine tended to wear out faster then the 7hp Kohler counter part the model 753.

At the Wheel Horse one of the best examples of a model 653 I have ever seen was in attendance, I believe this 653 had less then 50 hours of non hard use.

Another interesting fact about the Tecumseh H-60 ( a H60-75009) on a 653 is that it used a bolt on type fuel lift pump like a Kohler.

Can you post the serial numbers off the Tecusmeh in the last picture and off the tractor?

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

rustbucket

bill ill get you the info when i can get her here but till then im in the dark fully to the numbers on tractor and engine even though i went and seen it twice now and paid for her.. right now she sits in the guy im buying her froms shed safe from the elements. next years show she will be there with my GT-14.

HorseFixer

duke your going to hate me. i got her for 175.00 and spent another 25.00 on a extended frame 42" plow for my GT-14.the plow has seen alot of use and abuse and the bottom of the blade and cutting edge are well um ground away and the whole pivot section is sloppy loose but nuthing that cant be shimed bushinged or redone fully. the plow was ment for a small short frame and someone hacked it and added length to make it fit a long frame. need to also fab the blade angleing rod as mine dosnt have one.

Hate NO!!!! Envious YES B) No really thats A Good find and I'm glad ya got it! Lemme tell ya with metal going at $300.00 a ton there are going to be alot of these Lil honeys finding their way to the crap dealers! B) I heard of a guy that trashed a D-250 last week and gave her a good crunch B) People don't know what they got and the allure of some quick cash usually wins out sorry to say! :whistle:

Cheers DUke

rustbucket

the guy had a load of other wheel horse tractors he is trying to part ways with but isnt good at listing them so i may help him. alot would make great parts machines for others with already working ones to be honest and heres the kicker he lives literaly within spitting distance of me. i mean that in a good way. he lives off 191 in bangor PA like 3 towns over from me to the south.

rustbucket

bill would an HH60 work in the h60's place or do i honestlyneed the aluminum block i do plan on useing this little tractor and am honestly thinking of keeping the small 6 hp kohler on her. i know its not true to form but as said the little aluminum ones wore out fast leading to the demise of the tractor.

ill also have to get you the tractors serial code when i go get it and bring her home i didnt think to get it when i was down there this time sorry. it starts with a 62 thats all i know so maybe early 63?? i been told it might be that watthat they made the first 653's at the end of 62.

BairleaFarm

original or not it looks like a complete tractor. Good find for the price.

rustbucket

yeah i agree with that david it is a good find and will be at the show next year after a full year of tinkering on it and the GT since i need the GT to look show ready next year hehe maybe the 653 will be like the gt this years show rough around the edges but in the works.

TT

Jason.....

The engine you posted the picture of is a Tecumseh, not a Kohler. B) (like Wild Bill said too)

rustbucket

okay okay ill have to look when i get her home and going over her a bit better then ill get numbers and post sorry. hopefully she will run cause that engine has awsome compression. heres hopeing that its just something simple like points are wore out or something else like that.

rustbucket

also think this tractor will be reaping the benifits my blue jacobsen own's going to give the 653 my jacobsend dual rear ag's since the jacobsen has its old turfs back on it. cant run the bigger deck with the ags they grind the deck and dont clear anything. ah wells they will be used.

CHARGER9AUTO

RustBucket , Good Score on the round hood tractor you picked up . B) Ben

rustbucket

thanks ben the fun part will be takeing her apart fixing all the little holes and getting her show ready for next year also.

CHARGER9AUTO

thanks ben the fun part will be takeing her apart fixing all the little holes and getting her show ready for next year also.

Your welcome Bud I decided to take a break from the show next year it's a haul for us to attend the show and money it costs alot . in a few year I will attend I know how much fun I'll be missing . Ben

Jim_M

the fun part will be takeing her apart fixing all the little holes and getting her show ready for next year also.

Jason,

Don't fix the 2 holes on the sides of the engine fan shroud, the fuel line runs through there.

I might have a starter for you, does it need a four bolt starter? If I'm remembering right, it does, but I don't have a Tecumseh sitting here right now to look at.

Jim

rustbucket

i wasnt planin on fixin the holes thought they might be there for a reason thanks for the heads up and yes i will be needing a starter hopefully after we get her tinkered with and remounted in her home under the hood. ill let ya know and keep ya in mind thanks jim.

rustbucket

so i finaly went and got her yesterday fully and truely in my posetion now.

bill here are those numbers you been looking to get from me off her

tractor serial# 62-8840

engine model# h60-75009

engine serial# 3120 04465

rustbucket

from what i can see everything is there solid and strong just small surface rust and like one or two holes in the deck side skirts. its missing the drive belts to the deck but has the drive from the engind down to the triple pully for the deck to run off

DMESS

62-8840. That's earlier than the one I had. (the one Bill has now B) ) A pretty good find. Just don't see the 653's as often.