Sign in to follow this  
gipster

Differences between 400 and 500 series tractors

gipster

Hi All,

Looking to buy another tractor this year and I wm wondering what the differences are between the 400 and 500 series. I currently have a C175 which I like very much, and I want something with at least as much power. Thanks

Jim

Irv

Well if you want something with at least or more power it's going to have to be a C-195, 518, 520 or a big "D".

zieg72

There are subtle differences in the 400/500 series. Up to 1990 or so unless you had the 520HC the 500 series had more bells and whistles. 400 series max'd out with the 17 hp with the excepting of the fancy 420SLE chromed out version. 1992 the 520H and newer has the (my favorite) gear reduction steering which comes in handy when your shoulders hurt. 400's had indicator lights while the 500 series had gauges but there are always exceptions to the rules. I have had several 520H's and have 2 right now. I have had a 416H and a 417-8, both very capable machines.

If I were in your shoes try and find a well cared for low hour 1992-1997 520H. My $.02

CRE1992

400 series max'd out with the 17 hp with the excepting of the fancy 420SLE chromed out version. 1992 the 520H and newer has the (my favorite) gear reduction steering which comes in handy when your shoulders hurt. 400's had indicator lights while the 500 series had gauges but there are always exceptions to the rules. I have had several 520H's and have 2 right now. I have had a 416H and a 417-8, both very capable machines.

If I were in your shoes try and find a well cared for low hour 1992-1997 520H. My $.02

Wasn't there a 418-8? Also, conterary to what many people argue, the onans make more torque than the kohlers stock. I have seen the dyno charts, if I can find them Ill post them. If you went with a 416H with an Onan, or a 416-8 with a Kohler K series or a Magnum, I think you will be perfectly happy. I had a 416H and a 520H. For some reason I liked the 416H more, but that 16hp onan will smoke the belts on the deck before that engine even begins to quiver or bog down.

-Charles

pfrederi

I have a 418A so I know 400s got at least to 18 hp. Power wise no different than my C175-8.

Frankly you would be hard pressed to see a power difference between 17 and 20 hp.. the hydro in the 20 eats up any increase over a 17 8 speed.

Hydro

I had a 520 and a 416H at the same time for about 3 years. I'm with CRE 1992, I liked the 416 better. It was smoother I think. I loved it until the valve seats went now I have a Kohler 16 with 520 features.

546cowboy

The gear reduction steering started in 1991 and I have one. I have owned 4-520's and they are great tractors. I have never owned a 400 series so I don't know anything about those. I do have one for sale. But it would be a drive to get here for you.

Kelly

I have a few 520's and I'm very happy with them, I think they are the smoothest most powerful WH I've ever owned, I like the newer ones with the dash controls, over my 89 with the DCL between your legs, the gear reduction steering is very nice, I like the dash also on a 520, but they are gas hogs. I have never owned a 400 series.

Hydro

I had three mowers all up and running at the same time. A 312H, a 416H and a 520H. The 416 and the 520 both had 48" decks while the 312 had a 42" deck. I cut 1-1/2 acres of mostly flat terrain with long runs of 400 feet or more. Of course the 312 was slower and used a full tank of gas and then some. Neither of the Onan's did. They each used about 3/4's of a tank. I never noticed any real difference between the 16 and the 20 in fuel but yes there was a noticable difference in the two Onan engines especially the way the governors responded to load.

Last fall I bought the 314H with a 48" deck and it was about the same as the Onans maybe a little less but I did not see that much difference yet everyone on this site seems to feel the Onans are much harder on fuel. I have seen that comment several times :confusion-shrug:

can whlvr

i have 2 414-8 and they are also very capable,and probally a little cheaper to buy

kpinnc

Keep in mind the 516-H and 518-H have the weaker tranny pumps, as well as MOST "-A" tractors. Not an issue unless you plan to plow or grade or pull heavy loads.

• Like 1

leeave96

There are subtle differences in the 400/500 series. Up to 1990 or so unless you had the 520HC the 500 series had more bells and whistles. 400 series max'd out with the 17 hp with the excepting of the fancy 420SLE chromed out version. 1992 the 520H and newer has the (my favorite) gear reduction steering which comes in handy when your shoulders hurt. 400's had indicator lights while the 500 series had gauges but there are always exceptions to the rules. I have had several 520H's and have 2 right now. I have had a 416H and a 417-8, both very capable machines.

+1

A nice 520H with the steering reduction gears is very nice. Also, they have a tighter turning radius. I've got one of these with and am thinking about doing the foot control kit.

Good luck,

Bill

zieg72

Right or wrong.... My tach doesn't work on my 92 but I don't run it full throttle, almost but not quite. I also blend regular unleaded and premium 50/50. I have done several tests and I can't explain how better the engine sounds and how much less fuel is used. I also did a time/fuel comparison on the 60" deck versus a 48". I used 1/2 gallon more with the 60" deck and cut it in the same time as my 48". I contribute it to having to go slower around trees and where the grass is higher in spots. My $.02

Hydro

Really it's going to boil down to what you like the best. After all you are the user. The hydros stopped in 97 as did the 520 as did the biggest single Kohler flat head that was avalable at that time, the M14. The Onans are really smooth and strong they also sound great. The Kohler singles are very durable. Half the fun is in the Hunt!

Good Luck :twocents-02cents:

Ken B

Will a 1980's 416-8 have the beefier axles in it? I know where there is a real clean one for sale that I've been thinking about. It has a nice runnin Koher 16 in it. I bought a 518H a few yrs back. I should have done my home work before I bought that one, here I thought I was buying something real beefy only to find out it had the weaker setup in it. Why did they do that? Lame.

can whlvr

yes the 416 will be the heavier rear end if it has not been swapped,its a good machine,1 1/8 axles,and the big single kohler,i think if its an 85-86 it will be a k,later models will be the magnum

Ken B

I do know its not a Magnum. Thanks for the info.

smoreau

I have 2 520h tractors and 2 417A tractors. I like both and find I use the 417A's for certain things and the 520's for bigger things like snow blowing. the 417's have a LOT OF POWER!! but the 520 just blows my mind in the sure power of a small tractor!! Just sucks gas! As for going for witch one I would go to first for a job, it would be my older 85 417A as it was my first twin cylinder tractor I have owned. All have the eaton 1100 trans and I have put them all to the test! and hold up great!

zieg72

yes the 416 will be the heavier rear end if it has not been swapped,its a good machine,1 1/8 axles,and the big single kohler,i think if its an 85-86 it will be a k,later models will be the magnum

According to my info the 416-8 started in 1985 and went to 1988 with the K341 Kohler. In 1989-1997 they had the Onan P216 twins in them.

can whlvr

mine says in 87-88 are m,s,not sure this list i have is not allways correct and if its wrong this time i wont use it anymore

zieg72

mine says in 87-88 are m,s,not sure this list i have is not allways correct and if its wrong this time i wont use it anymore

You are right, I stand corrected...

leeave96

Will a 1980's 416-8 have the beefier axles in it? I know where there is a real clean one for sale that I've been thinking about. It has a nice runnin Koher 16 in it. I bought a 518H a few yrs back. I should have done my home work before I bought that one, here I thought I was buying something real beefy only to find out it had the weaker setup in it. Why did they do that? Lame.

If you got the $$$'s to spare, I'd jump on the 416-8 sooner than later. It will have the 8 pinion rear end and the 1-1/8 inch axles. I've got a 314-8 and other than the 2 hp difference, same tractor and it is a great tractor - bought it new in the Spring of 1998.

Good luck,

The other Bill