Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Red Square Forum Button

Teddy da Bear

I briefly mentioned this subject in passing on some other post.

But I will do so more formally now.

I think it would be a great idea to have available a button or lapel pin to identify Red Square Forum members at shows, swap meets or various events.

I went online and looked at "button/pin manufacturers. They are kind of like the "instant sign" industry. They likely make a master copy and price is based on how many are produced in production.

What I propose is that we take a poll and see if this would be a popular idea or not. And I also propose that if possible we could even have different grades of buttons for newer members as well as advanced members and so on. Perhaps buttons for us newbies and lapel pins for advanced members, moderators...etc. I also propose that each person pay for his/her own button or lapel pin including shipping to whom ever is in charge of the distribution of these buttons and pins. I know at this time we are not going to get a discount on our number of members. You would have to order them by the thousands to get a discount.

I do not control the rights to the Red Square artwork for the forum. That might have to be handled by whomever created it.

And ask if there is anyone experienced in this button or pin making process, or had any first hand knowledge of how to get this accomplished?

I know the artwork would have to be manipulated from it's "rectangular" shape to a round format to accomodate a round button. However, I think the rectangular shape would be just fine for a classy lapel pin.

I just feel that we could easily identify each other at events and at the same time show our pride in being a member to others...

What do you guys & gals think????

perry

not a bad idea. atleast you'll know if you pass a redsquare member at a show. or maybe the regular show go'ers could purchase a T-shirt with the RS logo.

Teddy da Bear

I thought the buttons and pins would be a little more subtle and personal.

From the sound of it....anyone can buy a T-shirt at the shows.

And while T-shirts are fine.....they only last me a season or two. The buttons or pins might have some longevity.

You could even wear a lapel pin to a more formal affair.

nylyon

I do not control the rights to the Red Square artwork for the forum. That might have to be handled by whomever created it.

That brings up a very interesting question. I'm not sure who owns the rights to the artwork. The original design was by Terry (Vinylguy52) as his avatar. I thought it was cool, so I asked him if he would create us a logo which he did. He wasn't paid, so I suppose that it is his. but ours at the same time. But then there is the RedSquare name. The forum was originally created by Chris (whchris) where he used the artwork called "redsquare", but that was not the name of the board, as the name was whtractor.

Since the redsquare artwork was used, there was a default banner saying redsquare. By the time we got our official Terry banner, the name stuck. So who owns the name, not really sure, but I made it official and renamed the board. I own the name www.wheelhorseforum.com, that much I know.

The point of this, I guess, is that the RedSquare Management (speaking for ya Chris) authorizes the use of the RedSquare logo and www.WheelHorseForum.com or whtractor.15.forumer.com to anyone who wishes to create buttons for sale to members or made available to members of the RedSquare members.

So there now that that's handled, anyone know of a good button maker?

Teddy da Bear

So, If I read you correctly Karl. It sounds like you are in favor of this.

I had another idea. Who makes the T-shirts that Perry mentioned?

Perhaps that person/company would know which button company to

approach?

Perhaps the person who does that T-shirts could handle the buttons

and pins for us?

When I looked at the button manufacturers...there were a ga-zillion

of them.

Buzz

here's a link to the guy who was at the Wheel Horse Show this year. Several years ago i bought a badge that says " Buzz Trimnell Wheel Horse Collector" and has the horse head on it. He charges a one time set up fee of $50 for a custom logo like Red Square. might be worth looking into.

http://www.thebadgefactory.com/Name_Badges.html

Nick

Is there any chance Terry (vinylguy52) could make up some badges/buttons or line up someone who could? B)

chevelletown

I can laser engrave in just about any material. Maybe red anodized alum. or stainless? I can cut red plastic in the shape of a horse head...........many ideas. The set up cost is minimal and I can customize each one with a name & screen name or state. If we can agree on a design people can email me with a request and I can mail them out hot off the laser.

linen beige

The lasercut set up sounds like a winner to me. I would suggest maybe being able to hang smaller red squares or an ADMIN or MODERATOR banner below the main button to denote member status. Kinda like the one, two, three or more squares below the avatars?

That would allow members to purchase one badge and add the dangling parts later for less money than buying a new badge.

As for who owns the Red Square name, If it isn't copyrighted, NO ONE owns it in the legal sense. Some upstart could copyright it and knock us out of using it.

Teddy da Bear

Sounds like some good ideas.

I am not sure about the plastic one though. I would thinking more of metal.

And as far as the red bars idea from Linen.....that is kind of what I thought too.

My idea was to collect more and more pins/buttons as you advance in rank....lol

But it all depends on what everyone else wants...not just me...lol

But as for the pin itself.... I was invisioning a burgundy field with the appropriate logo and wording.......and then surrounded by a gold border (if it remains a rectangular pin). And just plain burgundy for a more traditional round button. Perhaps something 2 inches long and proportionally wide. And the button could be large. Perhaps 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

Perhaps we could do both? Keep the round buttons/badges to pass out at shows and get people interested. Depends on price of each button. You could go broke really fast...lol

GlenPettit

Plastic is lightweight and probably easier to cut, red with white lettering will really stand out.

Little holes and hooks will allow things (signs, tags) to hang down from it (nice to know our 'handles'/screen names).

Glen

Our name would have to be 'registered', that costs less than $100 DIY and it's 'first-come, first-gets'. Can be done on net. I don't think it's that critical as we have it on the net now.

kpinnc

Well, I have to throw my monkey wrench somewhere today. B)

I think the pin idea is just great. Plastic or metal, doesn't matter much one way or the other to me...

Not a huge fan of the "marksman/sharpshooter/expert" attachment though.

Maybe just the date you joined could be on the tag itself? So could MODERATOR and/or ADMINISTRATOR...

Just trying to keep it simple.

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Whatever is come up with, put me down for one.

I've got my fingers in enough fires already......

Teddy da Bear

Not a huge fan of the "marksman/sharpshooter/expert" attachment though.

I can understand that option might not be for everyone, but it does leave you the option not to hang anything on the basic pin even if others wish to.

And while plastic is lighter......we are not talking about pounds here. The difference in the weights when comparing metal to plastic is inconsequencial.

I am just sick of everything in this world being made of plastic. I would think the pin or button could reflect some of the quality that is reflected in our tractors. It isn't necessary....just a preference.

To the man interested in doing some laser cutting work. Could you show us some samples of your work and post them here please? Thank you in advance!