Sign in to follow this  
perry

scrap prices

perry

scrap prices are down in my area. went on monday and you could barely drive in & out it was so packed in there with piles among piles. price was down - $200 n/t from $240.

i herd china shut down there big steel plants for the olimpics :WRS: . so the scrap yard is also holding on to their metals.

let me know if anyone eles has herd this info :D

i got this from a friend of a friend of a guy who know's this friend :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Great, just when I was thinking of hauling in a bunch of stuff..... That was supposed to be today, but those plans got dashed. Hard telling when the next opportunity will arise.

catman81056

I think you're right. I took the old Cub frame in with some smaller stuff and I got the Tin price. 3wks ago it was $150.00@ton, this time I only got $100.00.

Buzz

My daughter works for a recycling company (junkyard) here in South Jersey and she said they are holding back on what can be shipped to China now. She also said that when they take a container to the dock to be shipped to China, security is tight and containers are inspected and reinspected before they can be loaded. China's trying to play safe for the Olympics...........

Nick

Perry, I just got around to hauling another load of scrap and if prices were down they must have bounced back up. A while back a load of #2 steel was $290 or $300 a ton and on this load they gave me $320. $105 for 660 pounds. B)

I did not ask the price for sheet or unsorted? steel. By the way also took in scrap aluminum and cast aluminum the next day for .65c and .55c a pound each.

Jim_M

Perry,

I've heard the same thing. China shut down all of their heavy industry for the olympics to cut down on the pollution. We ship some products to China and they sent a letter a while back saying that the goverment shut them down for 3 months, it started well before the olympics, so the air would clear before everybody showed up.

Kind of like when the wife does a quick cleaning job of the most visible areas before company shows up. B)

Jim

CasualObserver

I heard about that. And that they placed all the air quality sensors in the outer perimeter where the air was cleaner to start with! I'd never thought about air quality for the athletes before, but it makes sense. But..... will a short stoppage right before the event really be enough?