Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Carb cleaner soaker name?

Sparky

Hey guys, what is the actual name of the solution you can pour in a coffee can and dump your carb in to soak? Is there a particular brand thats considered the best? Does tractor supply carry it?

I have a C-165 8 speed with the 16hp "K" series that has never run correctly, the rpm's are always going up and down, searching or hunting is what I think its called, and I think its time for a soak. I've tried doing a bench cleaning but its never worked.

Mike.........

massey

I bought a gallon can of Berrymans from Pep Boys, but I think TS used to carry it. Autozone or any of those type stores should have a similar product.

Kelly

I use Berryman Chem Dip in the gal. can has a basket to put parts in, I'm on my 2nd gal. in 20 years good stuff, STINKS bad, wife hates it when I use it, get it on your skin and you live with the smell for days, does not wash off, rubber gloves a must.

I buy it at auto parts stores but TSC may have it, about $20 for the gal. I've found nothing better, over night or for weeks, I think there is a carb soaking right now, I rinse them with brake cleaner when done, be sure to blow all the holes out.

Sparky

Thanks guys!

Mike..........

sorekiwi

Another vote for the Berrymans. Napa does their own brand as well, but its $60 for the same size can. I actually rinse mine off with hot water first then compressed air, followed by spray carb clean and compressed air again. I wash most of the crap off the outside of the carb before dunking it, trying to keep the stuff in the can relatively free of sludge.

After about 8 years, the level in my can is down a bit now, so I probably need another can soon, but the solvent itself still works great.

JC 1965

Yea, Berrymans is the best. I'm pretty sure that's what Brian Miller recommends also. :thumbs2:

rmaynard

I use Berryman's Chem Dip. I get it from Wal-Mart. $18.54 + tax. They have it on the shelf in the automotive isle.

wallfish

Extra air flow around the throttle shaft and/or gasket to the motor will also cause it to "hunt". no matter how clean the carb is. You can check by spraying carb cleaner around those areas and if it's sucking air, you will hear it in the RPMs. Improper float level setting can also contribute to the problem. Just a thought and something to look at if the problem is not resolved with a good cleaning.

Jim_M

It's unanimous...Berryman's. It comes in a can with a basket in it so you don't even need a coffee can.

AMC RULES

Seems I too have a problematic carb that must need a bath, I guess the carb spray didn't do the trick. :dunno:

Thanks for the Berryman's tip everyone. :beer:

tunahead72

Extra air flow around the throttle shaft and/or gasket to the motor will also cause it to "hunt". no matter how clean the carb is. You can check by spraying carb cleaner around those areas and if it's sucking air, you will hear it in the RPMs. Improper float level setting can also contribute to the problem. Just a thought and something to look at if the problem is not resolved with a good cleaning.

Mike,

In addition to the things that John mentioned, make sure that your governor is adjusted properly when you're all done. You may have to reposition the governor spring to eliminate the hunting/surging. The procedure's in the Kohler service manual.

can whlvr

up here i priced the only one i could find and it was keen flo,60 dollars a gallon,so i didnt but it,im going to see if wally world has berrymans up here

71_Bronco

Nice, off to walmart today after work to get some of this. Will use it on the carb for my K91 as well as the one on my Bronco 14 motor.

Do you guys use the stuff straight, or dilute it? I'm sure it says on the can, but I don't have any yet and cant read it.

Thanks!

TT

I use mine straight.

P.S.> Make sure the can is sealed tight when in storage.

Steve B.

My local Walmart doesn't carry Berryman's. I asked at Napa if they had any jugs of carb cleaner and they suggested using Seafoam ($15 a pint). Has anyone used this as a soak? How well/quick would it work?

Jim_M

Sea Foam may work, but it's hard to beat Chem Dip. A lot of auto parts stores carry it, as well as TSC, Rural King and other farm stores.

71_Bronco

Got me a can of the Berryman's last night at Walmart, 18 and change for the gallon.

Took a look at the carb last night. Gonna hit it with a stiff nylon-bristled brush, then soak it tomorrow on my day off and see how well it goes.

Told my co-worker about it, he said it will be good to clean it, but he also suggested an ultra-sonic cleaner. Can I used the Berryman's in an ultra-sonic cleaner? Or possibly a diluted version?

Jim_M

The problem with an ultrasonic cleaner is that they generate heat and Chem Dip has a pretty low flash point. Being solvent based, the only thing you could dilute it with would be another solvent and that would probably be more harm than good.

I would just give it a 24 hour soak in the Chem Dip, but if you really want to use the ultrasonic cleaner just put water in it, clean the carb, then blow it dry and put it in the Berryman's for 24 hours.

• Like 1

Sparky

So I ended up with this stuff since Tractor Supply didn't carry anything. Came from an Advance Auto Parts near me for $26 .

post-2-0-22393400-1325442270_thumb.jpg

Here's the first victim. Its the carb off my C-165 that runs but hasn't been running right. Bench cleaning and carb tweaking has not got it right so here's hoping this is the fix.

post-2-0-10938600-1325442399_thumb.jpg

Mike........

Butch

So I ended up with this stuff since Tractor Supply didn't carry anything. Came from an Advance Auto Parts near me for $26 .

post-2-0-22393400-1325442270_thumb.jpg

Here's the first victim. Its the carb off my C-165 that runs but hasn't been running right. Bench cleaning and carb tweaking has not got it right so here's hoping this is the fix.

post-2-0-10938600-1325442399_thumb.jpg

Mike........

I was very disappointed with the Gunk carb cleaner kit. It wouldn't take the paint off and I was hoping it did. I've used Berryman products before and prefer them. Plus they're much cheaper.

smoreau

I used to have some from a 5 gallon can for automotive carbs that was near 30 years old that worked 10 times better then any thing available today, but it sprung a leak and went all over the floor :sad: Butt barrymans is still better then any thing else that I am aware of.

hounddoghundzsa

I've used the Berrymans too - got a can in my garage right now. I have noticed though - it's a good idea to spray everything off with carb cleaner first to get excess oil and grease off prior to "dipping". It makes the cleaner last longer and it won't dull the strength of it..

Sparky

Mike,

In addition to the things that John mentioned, make sure that your governor is adjusted properly when you're all done. You may have to reposition the governor spring to eliminate the hunting/surging. The procedure's in the Kohler service manual.

You were right! After soaking most of a week the carb was real nice and clean. Got all the cleaner goop off it and reassembled the carb only to have it surge again. I ended up moving the governor spring to take up some slack and it smoothed right out. Makes me wonder if the carb needed cleaning at all, no harm done I suppose.

I also redid some wiring and got the charging system back on line so this C-165 is battle ready again!

Mike..........

KC9KAS

"I used to have some from a 5 gallon can for automotive carbs that was near 30 years old that worked 10 times better then any thing available today, but it sprung a leak and went all over the floor"

That is the problem with the good stuff...it eats through everything...including the container!

Cleaverkid

Just like my old high school chemistry teacher kept saying....the single problem with discovering the "universal solvent" is "what do you keep it in"?

Berryman's the best! But tell me this, folks....with today's stupid "tree-hugger" laws about disposal and such, what do you do with the old stuff once it's no good to you anymore?