Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

My Christmas Gift to Myself... 58RJor59 with Reel Mower and More

stevebo

While at a birthday party last weekend my buddy shows me a picture on his cell phone of a tractor that one of the guys who works for him picked out of an old barn. He/they both knew I was a wheel horse guy so he asked me if I was interested. At first he thought about keeping it but then decided to sell it. I was more interested in the front reel mower set up and the other attachments so I offered it to go in on this deal with a friend/member here but he passed for some very good reasons. In the end I think I did pretty good. on the deal. If it warms up tomorrow afternoon I would like to pressure wash it so I can get a better idea of what I have. The motor is a Clinton but it is white. It does not have any id tag so i assume it is a replacement? If anyone can chime in and let me know if they came through with white clintons that would be helpful. It came with a complete front snow plow set up with attaching plates, A style spike harrow, one bottom rear plow, disk harrow which looks to me home made and the reel mower and rear chains.

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Lars

nice gift :woohoo:

fireman

With the C19-9 casting number on the tranny and the wider 17 3/4" seat I think it's a 1959 :hide: . We'll let the "EXPERTS" hash this one out!!!

Ishman

Sweet! Would it be bad manners to ask what you had to give for that nice package?

Keith

stevebo

If anyone could comment on the info that Fireman posted above. Thanks-

stevebo

I believe I got a "good deal" on this package. I may end up selling some of the attachments (not the reel mower) to make up some of the money I paid.

Kelly

Looks like you did very well, I think the reel mowers are very cool, that is on my wish list someday for one to mount on a front engined round hood, looks to be pretty straight in the pics.

AMC RULES

:scratchead: I thought you guys were the experts? :teasing-poke:

Ishman

OK I got the message. I wont do it again.

K2

fireman

There are truly no experts. Just some who have done a little more research than others. A few clues here and there that we have heard make one a 58 versus a 59 but no one really knows for sure! I know just enough to be dangerous!

Riley088

Good for you. Nice find. Gotta love the old barns here in CT.

stevebo

Ishman,

I think you are fine with asking....

Sparky

Nice find Steve. Apparently YOU think you were good enough this year to warrant such a lavish Christmas gift eh? I guess its time for me to sent off a quick note and straighten out the guy at the North Pole about you :ychain: !

Mike..........

71_Bronco

Very cool find, nice package of stuff

Any pics of the harrow? I might be.interested if that's something you'd be interested in selling, and I'm in CT as well.

stevebo

Here are a few more pics.

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

Not sure what these are ??IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

And the other attachments

clintonnut

That engine is a 498. Was a replacement engine. The ID number is to the right of the silver sticker on the air deflector. It is lightly stamped in and if you use sandpaper or sandblaster lightly it will show up. My guess is it is something like a 498-0301-1xx

Charlie

stevebo

Charlie,

What HP is that and what years were they built?

buckrancher

well what the heck I'll throw my two cents in

casting number C-19-9 march 19,1959 as far as 58 or 59 the five hole seat is 58 as most later machine's seem to have the larger no hole seat that was standard on 1960 tractors I have never seen a picture of a RJ with a model sticker that says RJ 59

which in it's self is interesting as I see it because it seems that with all the collectors out there you would think someone could

produce a model sticker if wheel horse actually put a model sticker that said RJ 59 I personally think they did not

being frugal as the ponds were they most likey had a box full of RJ58 model stickers to use up

TT produced a dealer manifest that lists a RJ 59 tractor and price dated in april 1959 so the dealers were calling them 59's by that time

Vince(vin's RJ) pickup a RJ with original dealer paper work stating it as a 1959 tractor sold in( if I remember) may of 59 but the tractor is missing the model decal

I have the same tractor (casting number ,seat,engine) and mine has a RJ58 model number decal on it.

In my personal opinon I have come to believe wheel horse never actually put a model decal on a RJ that said 59 only 58 but added some changes as the year

progressed like the larger seat and multi position lift sector before the 1960 model year

some may say I don't know what i'm talking about but then they need to produce an original tractor with a RJ59 model sticker on it

I would love to see one

Oh and by the way I hear you haven't been that good this year at all Steve sneaking around in NY and grabing RJ 35's :ychain::laughing-rolling:

and good looking Rj58/59 by the way :text-bravo:

wheelhorse656

nice RJ package!!!! love those little tractors

Coadster32

Naughty or nice Steve...You still got what you wanted for Christmas. :handgestures-thumbupright:

horsefeathers

Guess I've been naughty! An RJ is on my wish... list but Santa still hasn't come through yet!

Maybe this is the year ! I've been good really! I have!! Good one Stevebo!! She's a keeper!

Suburban 550

Wow Steve, what a Christmas gift and what a great find. :omg:

dclarke

What a find Steve! Looks like Santa visited the east coast a little early this year. :thumbs:

Calebintn

Great looking little tractor you have there.

clintonnut

Engine HP is 4.5