Rooster

Speed up Your Horse

HorseFixer

The information above doesn't actually apply to hydro tractors.

Wheel Horse made the 520-HC models faster by changing the gearing after (beyond) the hydro unit. If it was as simple as changing two pulleys and a belt, I'm sure they would have just done it that way.

That doesn't mean that speeding up the input shaft of the pump won't increase the ground speed of the tractor, but I don't believe that's the "correct" way. :confusion-shrug:

OK maybe someone will chime in then about the hydro units, I definitely don't want to ruin anything

Zeig the HC Hauls Azz what you need to do is find a HC tranny that will solve the problem havent researched what is different but I dont think

changing the pulley is the answer, ~Duke

Rooster

I thought I posted this, but maybe I didn't?

This is for Manual Trannys only!

I have never been in a Wheel Horse Hydro..I know nothing about them.On Other Hydros, Peerless, Dana, ETC..Overdriving the pullies does not make them faster, but it WILL burn them up!

I would not even try this on a HYDRO!

SousaKerry

I have a C-175 AUTO that I broke the original engine pulley and made my own out of one I found at work it was about a 1/2 inch larger in diameter. I can not verify that the ground speed is faster but it sure does feel faster and I have worked that tractor very hard and never had a problem with the Eaton Tranny.

oh and Rooster here is a link to the C-251 project

c161rat

An 8 speed input shaft is 5/8" & very short. (not always easy to find a pulley that has a set screw that properly lines up with the center of the key.

3 & 4 speed input shafts are 3/4" - and they're short too. :disgust:

Note - information provided above is guaranteed to be 100% accurate - unless I'm wrong. :ychain:

Thanks for the info Terry.....u got anything laying around in the "Pile" that would help me???

TT

Thanks for the info Terry.....u got anything laying around in the "Pile" that would help me???

Doubt it, but this place has a bigger pile than I do: Surplus Center ~ pulleys

baerpath

Look for a spoked cast iron pulley the size you want, grind the hub off the back, drill through the center of the pulley hub, tap and move the set screw to the center Like the older drive pulley's. When you look make sure the keyway is centered between the spokes, Thats how we do ours for the pullers

Duane

ricksrj58

I have an RJ on my plate for a resto after I finish my Bronco. It will be my fun driving tractor, and was thinking about upping the drive pulley. Duals in the back are on my mind, so that would help. Not trying to make a speed demon out of it, just trying to get a little more "get-up-and-go" out of it.

i have several rj58s and had the same thought about speeding one up. i swapped the stock pulleys,engine pulley on gearbox and gearbox pulley on engine.i do not know what speed i was going but it did move and was a little sluggish to get get moving.also the stock steering on the rj made it a little dangerous at higher speeds.

71_Bronco

I have an RJ on my plate for a resto after I finish my Bronco. It will be my fun driving tractor, and was thinking about upping the drive pulley. Duals in the back are on my mind, so that would help. Not trying to make a speed demon out of it, just trying to get a little more "get-up-and-go" out of it.

i have several rj58s and had the same thought about speeding one up. i swapped the stock pulleys,engine pulley on gearbox and gearbox pulley on engine.i do not know what speed i was going but it did move and was a little sluggish to get get moving.also the stock steering on the rj made it a little dangerous at higher speeds.

I do agree, the steering on my RJ is on the loose side. Thinking about adding some bushings or something to tighten it up and help reduce the "wiggle". Also, wasn't looking to get massive speed, just a little extra.

Rooster

One more thing I STRONGLY suggest..if you get your tractor much over about 10 MPH you need to change over to a self closing throttle.

The easiest way to do this is using a bike brake Lever mounted on the steering wheel.

You'd be amazed how hard the throttle lever can be to grab ahold of when your headed for a ditch and bouncing around at 15 MPH!

AMC RULES

Wheel Horse made the 520-HC models faster by changing the gearing after (beyond) the hydro unit. If it was as simple as changing two pulleys and a belt, I'm sure they would have just done it that way.

That doesn't mean that speeding up the input shaft of the pump won't increase the ground speed of the tractor, but I don't believe that's the "correct" way. :confusion-shrug:

OK maybe someone will chime in then about the hydro units, I definitely don't want to ruin anything

Zeig the HC Hauls Azz what you need to do is find a HC tranny that will solve the problem havent researched what is different but I dont think

wheelhorsinaround281-1.jpg

I'm thinking two extra teeth are the reason for the speed difference between H's and HC's?

• Like 1

TT

Check this out, Craig (yes- you're on the right track):

Older models (C-165, GT-1848, etc.) had the same reduction gearing as the HC. The actual speeds are something like 6.4mph for the 416/520-H and 7.5mph for the 520-HC

I haven't had time to do any more research since that post I linked to was made.

Sparky

Hmmm. If thats the case then Craig, that tranny I sold you was a GT-1800 which just might have the hi speed gearing. You might want to wear a helmet when your on yer new faster 520 after the swap! :grin: .

Mike......

AMC RULES

:woohoo: Let me get this straight Mike. What you're saying is, I should get out my blue helmet, and have it ready to go then? :helmet: Roger Wilco. :ychain:

HorseFixer

wheelhorsinaround281-1.jpg

I'm thinking two extra teeth are the reason for the speed difference between H's and HC's?

:auto-swerve: Well 1.1 mph is pretty fast on a tractor to me! :ychain: hey thats about 15%...... :eusa-think: Fine research there Craig, & TT

there goes finding a C-165 Or GT-18 :)

Don1977

The 8 speed I have has a 5/8" input shaft that has a narrow key, don't remember the width but you won't find that width on the standard pulleys you buy.

zieg72

Still in the planning stages but.... I am wanting to try and make a WH go fast. My neighbor has had a 314-8 sitting behind his barn for about 10 years and hasn't done anything with. Hoping to get it for little or nothing. I don't know if a Kohler KT17 off a John Deere 317 will mount up but my brother has 2 complete engines that between the two should make 1 good running one. Second choice is a K341. Have to find a forward swept front end with the gear reduction steering that is affordable. Next, 4 1/2 bolt pattern front wheel drive rotors for rear disc braking. Fabricate a foot throttle. Unknowns are the strength of the rear 520 8.5" wide rims or go to an old school 14 or 15" Ford/Dodge rim w/low profile tire.

smoreau

Here is the difference between my 96 520h and a older c125 black hood, I thought that Toro slowed down the tractors when they took over for safety sake. My 96 now halls a__!

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-2.jpg

031-2.jpg

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-2.jpg

038-1.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

In the seat of the pants...is the newly added speed really that noticeable Scott? :scratchead:

smoreau

In the seat of the pants...is the newly added speed really that noticeable Scott? :scratchead:

I think so! I know I can lift the front end of the tractor off the ground about 3' on dry pavement know, I wasn't trying to do that as it was a big surprise on my part. When I got the tractor from Kelly last year It had a slight problem with the diff. when I had it apart I was going to swap it out with a parts trans that come from a c125 auto. Thats when I noticed the difference in all the gears. So I decided to put the faster gears in the 520 and I really like it know! Its as fast as my 85 417A and my 86 417A must have the newer eaton 1100 trans as its as slow as my 520 was before replacing the gears. I wouldn't mind finding another set of gears for my 86 417A

AMC RULES

:eusa-think: OH, so you were out doing wheelies huh Scott? :)

smoreau

Its got a heavy duty forward swept axle with 1" spinals up front, It should handle it. I wasn't thinking it was going to lift the front end up like that the first time I jabbed the motion lever forward, but was more like :scared-yipes: when it pulled the front end up like that. I would have to say that its very noticeable difference.

AMC RULES

Yep, definitely sounds like you woke it up. :icecream:

546cowboy

Here is my hot rod.I have changed both pulleys (8" engine- 5" Transaxle) it will run in excess of 25mph. It is not a Wheel Horse but this is before my W/H days. Many of you have seen this tractor here before. With this topic it should be included.

Red-White-Blue.jpg

• Like 1

Rooster

Love the front fenders..and The Paint!

AMC RULES

Yeah, that paint job looks vaguely familiar to me too...I can't quite put my finger on what it is though. :scratchead:

post-3498-0-58088500-1328925292_thumb.jp