Sign in to follow this  
Rusty'sTractors

551 Restoration

Rusty'sTractors

Anyone know where i can find a new shifter boot?

TT

Visit your friendly neighborhood Toro dealer & ask for part number 3577. :handgestures-thumbup:

sorekiwi

Anyone know where i can find a new shifter boot?

Yep what Terry said!

Alvords on 44 just south of Chardon dont have a lot of older WH stuff on the shelf, but they order a lot of stuff for me and its usually in within a week. Find your own part numbers before you call, it gets complicated if they have to look the stuff up. 440-286-2316.

wildman

Looking good!

AMC RULES

I got a lot done today, washed, sandblasted and primed a bunch of small parts.

IMAG0594.jpg

They are mostly engine parts, the green is zinc primer (not camo) and the white is urethane primer surfacer. Almost ready to mix up some red and get some more assembly done. A few more days and i should be able to put the engine back together. I still need to finish the other 4 wheels but it snowed all day and i didn't feel like going out back and firing up the big sandblaster to do the wheels.

What the idea with using the white urethane surfacer vs. the green zinc on other areas, smooths the surface and makes the red pop?

Rusty'sTractors

The zinc is a self etching primer that goes on the bare metal. It's a good corrosion fighter, than the primer surfacer goes on top and will be block sanded or finish sanded before paint.

Jake Kuhn

Looking Great! :handgestures-thumbup:

608KEB

Rusty, I am restoring a 1974 B-100 automatic. I was wondering what color you used to paint your rims. T I was trying to download some pictures but was having some problems with it. Thank you 608KEB

Rusty'sTractors

Sherwin Williams antique white. Its very popular, most guys are using it.

Rusty'sTractors

If your looking for automotive paint I used a ppg acrylic enamel paint for the big parts. Dar 8799

There's a nice sticky at the top of the restoration page.

Rusty'sTractors

Visit your friendly neighborhood Toro dealer & ask for part number 3577. :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks! It will be in next week.

Matt71

Really nice job on the 551!!!

Really nice job on the 551!!!

speedyleedy

great job on your 551! that is also my favorite too i also have ford tractor's and have parts if theres anything i can help you with i would be willing too if i can just let me know . I live in northcentral ohio ! :)

Rusty'sTractors

Wow! So it's been a long time but I have some new pics and some progress. :) I have to many projects going at once and I've been busy working on the 8n the old wheel horse got a little break, but I have some updates.

I had finished the front tires and wheels and had the tractor finally sitting on all 4's. Came home from work the next day and one of the front tires gave out, it just split right around the tread. Big bummer because those were old BF Goodrich silvertowns, probably the originals.

IMAG0786.jpg

Here it is on a block with the blown front tire off. :banghead:

IMAG0069.jpg

It happenes i guess, so went and bought a new set that i thought may look good and got them all swapped around. I got a few little chips in the rims so i'm going to sand them down and repaint them. Not to big of a deal but i just dont like having to redo things.

IMAG0073.jpg

There she is sitting on tires (again). I have the engine all put together and a few other parts ready for paint. I'll get a coat or red on those and get some more parts on it. Hopefully I can get the old girl finished up soon!

Coadster32

Looks great!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

bowtiebutler956

Your doing an awesome job on your :wh: !! I can't wait to see it complete! :scared-eek::thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Rusty'sTractors

Thanks everybody!

Well I pushed it out in the drive and I hate the front tires. They just dont look right. I got my 1 good old tire out and put it next to the new ones on the tractor and the new tires are a little taller. They are the same size, do the newer tires run a little bigger? I'm going to hunt around and see what else I can find, any suggestions?

faster

Great job, Funny that when you get it looking the best its been since new that you fine little things that could be better that no one would ever notice but you. When I did my 654 I got so insane I was looking for 2 original bolts that I was missing just plain sick. So once again great job and I bit you can find some tire from someone on here.

COMMANDO6

Wow, that stinks about that tire. Are you still using the original rears? I still have all the original rubber on mine, I hope a tire doesn't die.

Gret job on the restore BTW.

krazy_horse

Nice work, excellent masking work on the wheels When you sandblasted your wheels how did you cover the axel bore as to not get sand in them? Nice photos also,this inspires me..

sorekiwi

Rusty, Is your other tire useable? I need to look into it, but I think I know the whereabouts (local) of a single front Silvertown that was in good condition last time I saw it.

sorekiwi

Sending you a PM Rusty.

Rusty'sTractors

Wow, that stinks about that tire. Are you still using the original rears? I still have all the original rubber on mine, I hope a tire doesn't die.

Gret job on the restore BTW.

I have 2 sivertowns for the back and the outer dually rims have Firestone town and countrys

Rusty'sTractors

Nice work, excellent masking work on the wheels When you sandblasted your wheels how did you cover the axel bore as to not get sand in them? Nice photos also,this inspires me..

Thanks! I used a brass drift and took the bearings out. Then tapped them back in later.

Sending you a PM Rusty.

Thanks, Reply sent!