Sign in to follow this  
glide

Tall chute snowblower

glide

How do you remove the sprocket shaft from a tall chute model 79263 (1998).

Kelly

What shaft do you mean? the one that the pulley is on one end and the drive gear on the other? if so you need to remove the pulley, then loosen the set screws that hold the locking collar on the bearing, remove the 3 bolts on each bearing that hold the bearing flanges to the housing, you only have to remove the one bearing that is closest to the pulley from the shaft, the one on the other end is outside the housing, and the gear fits through the hole in the housing, i just took mine apart last week to install new bearings, still havn't got it back together yet, hope to in the long weekend coming up.

glide

Thanks Kelly. I forgot to mention this blower was set-up for a later model (2002-2003) vertical shaft 416 xt I believe,the tractor is my brothers. On this unit the shaft is shorter and is lower on the blower housing as it pulleys from the center of the tractor rather than the side like a horizantal shaft,and the sprocket is fixed to the shaft(welded). The sprocket will not go through either flange hole so on the pulley side I had to drive the bearing up the shaft so I could pull it back and then up and out of the the sprocket side side plate of the blower housing. The shaft was severly worn on the pulley side because the bearing collar must have come loose.The shaft is pretty expensive but at least I crossed the bearing to a reasonablely priced option at the bearing store $15.50 compared to $49.95. Just need to order the shaft and fit it back together.Thank You again for the response. You wouldnt have a shaft for this model set up by chance.

Mike

Kelly

I found cheaper bearings also, mine were probably the same bearing, @ $49 each, I got mine for $25, I found them cheaper but they were not greasable, the orig. and my replacements have 2 small holes drilled in the outer race so grease can enter, that blower does have the grease zerts on it right?

glide

It does have the zerks , do you have a make and number of the replacement?

Kelly

I'll try to get the numbers off the box, after work tomorrow, pretty sure they are Timkin bearings.

glide

Any luck with those numbers ?

Kelly

Got busy and forgot, :dunno: Timken bearing GRA014RRB + COLAG they are greasable, you can use the nongreasable like the older blowers, and will probably last years, but I like being able to pump a few shots of grease in to them a few times a winter, and another thing I use is motorcycle chain lube, the thick sticky stuff for motor X bikes I coat the chain a few times a year with it, and just before putting it up for summer.

glide

Thank you Kelly. I question how much grease really goes through those tiny holes in the dead of winter,but I always did grease on a regular basis.I too use the Bel-ray cycle chain lube it does stick good and does not just run off the chain.Thanks for the advice.

Kelly

Well I put my blower back together today, and pumped it full of grease, I turned the shaft as I greased it, and grease came out around the seals on the 3rd pump, I did paint the back side of both bearing holders to help seal them and hold grease in bettter, but it didn't help much, grease still came out between the holders, it turns like new now, new chain, drive gear, idler sprockets, and keys should be set for winter.