wh500special

Why do you collect these tractors?

fritz

well i aint been collecting wheel horses very long (like less than a year), but i love them and i have 5 horses. i met this girl at school and we got tal;king. then she is like u should come met my dad. but if you like jd's stay away. he loves wheel horses. so i am like ok???? i dont even know what a wheel horses is. then he basically took me under his wing. he let me drive his b100 alot. i knew i had to get one. so then i started looking. i found a d200 for 500. i was like wooow it better be good. !!!! then i worked for the guy that had the d200. he gave me a little white. i fixed it up. and sold it for 250 all in the same day. a few days later i bought a craftsman for 43.50 then i bout the fuel pump i needed for 30. then i took that craftsman and traded it for the d200. i love that thing but i had to trade it couse i needed a good mowing machine to make money. i am trying to get it back but it will take more than what i got rid of it for. my second wheel horse a paid $20 i cleaned the carborator and it started. i was so happy. now i have 5 wheel horses and am still looking. i am only 15 so i hope my herd grows big. im glad i found this forum becouse i have learned alot. i hope to meet some people from here when i get older and can drive. wheel horses are the best thing i have ever had. they are my therapy when i am mad. i want to find some more.

thank you all sorry if its long

devin

• Like 1

qd-16

I had wanted a wheel horse for quit a while. Then one day about 5 years ago I went by a yard sale and found a horse for sale, a 656 with 8 kohler. I didn't know a thing about wheel horses I just liked the looks of them. After some talking and tire kicking and 140 dollars later I had my first horse. Since then I have gotten three more horses and a lot of spare parts and some accessories. My one 856 I have is thanks to my wife, she found it at a garage sale...shes my best scout.

TR_DIGGER

When growing up on a farm it wasnt nothing to be driving a farm tractor. Being young my dad had a smaller tractor the he had me drive back and forth form the barnyard to the field. I never really knew what type of tractor, but from what I have figured out it was a Farmall "B". Well since the farm is now longer in the family and I dont have a lot of properity I came across a smaller garden tractor the reminded be of that Farmall. With a little dealing I got a tractor with mowing deck, snow plow, and a HL-5 for $80. Later I found out that the tractor was a 701. I dont consided myself to be a collector, but a friend says "Thats called denial" :hide:

61701.jpg

sshell

I have not been around for awhile, work stinks at the steel mills, bad just bad. But anyhow when I was a kid my brother who is 5 years older then me had a friend that had a wheel horse. 8 horse round hood. Then another friend of my brothers and our future brother-n-law picked up an acorn :hide: burner and it started my love of whell horses. My uncle had a D160 and a gt-14 as well. I played with them all at one time or another and went "mudding" with the friends 8 horse many times :horseplay: . Pretty much didnt have one of my own until I came across a deal on a round hood and parts tractor for trade for an old snow blower. Well now the rest is history. This is the tractor that started it all for me. I have her back together now and love every minut I get to spend on her.

Picture235.jpg

fretscha

I like them because in europe there are no other garden tractors like wheel horse. They are stronger, bigger, stabil and much more beautiful as the german tractors. And i love wheel horse because it

Suburban 550

Although I'm a member of this site for almost a year I don't think I ever told my story of how my love of Wheel Horse tractors began. It all started in 1988, I bought my first horse, a 1972 Raider 10 off a retired insurance adjuster who had bought it new. In 1993 while plowing snow I broke the cluster gear in the rear and quickly went out and bought a left over 312-H (never liked that one, but that's another story). After I bought that one, Toro sent me their magazine called "Horse Power". In the magazine was a contest called "Search for the oldest Wheel Horse", and that's where I got to see all the Ponds, RJ's, and Suburbans and hoped someday I'd find one to restore. To make a long story short, I got hooked. Got the rear in the Raider 10 repaired, sold the 312-H, replaced it with a 1979 C-121, found a 1960 Suburban 550 which I completely restored, bought a 1967 1067 really cheap, and finally a 502 which I thought to be a 552. I'm currently restoring the 502 to become a 702, replacing the Tecumseh with a Kohler. The only other tractor I would love to have is a Ride Away Senior, if I could find one at a reasonable price.

stevet

Tickster, funny you should ask because I think it was you that got me started!

In 2006, a new Farmers Market opened in our area. It's a huge barn looking place with 100's of vendors. That summer there was some sort of event there. I hadn't been to the place yet so off I went. For this particular event, even parking lot was full of vendors and exibitors. I was strolling about when I rounded a corner and there's a guy with a bunch of old timey little red tractors! I love old timey stuff (remodeled my kitchen to look like the 50's complete with period appliances, restored a 50's car when I was younger, etc.) and I thought these things were great! I asked the guy a few questions and he was really friendly and knowledgable. He says "You want me to start this one?" I was shocked! I thought, they look great, and run too! Wow!

Well, time passed and I couldn't stop thinking about those little red tractors. I bid on a few on e-bay and, thank god, didn't win the bids. RedSquare has taught me that they were over priced junk. I did buy really great RJ 58 from a good guy in Tennessee. I see his son's name on this site sometimes. The tractor runs perfectly although I really have no use for it. I live in town (South Bend, Indiana as a matter of fact) and have a small yard. So I go cruising the neighborhood sidewalks. Sometimes I feel kinda nutty, but people smile at me and wave and I smile right back!

My name on this site is SteveT, but it should be Onesenough. I don't have room for anymore. But I sure do like those Suburbans...

So the questions is Tickster, was that you?

Rollerman

So the questions is Tickster, was that you?

Hmm...well Steve, guess were going to create a bigger question with your question??

It wasn't me...not that I know of.

Are you talking about the Farmers Market of SR 19 south of the bypass?

If so I wish I would have known...I would have been there with some of mine.

I think that be great to know I got someone else in the hobby!.

Almost 30 hits here now guys :D & 950 plus registered members. :hide:

Lets keep the stories comeing...I myself really like to hear how everyone got started. :hide:

64s

I bought my first Horse in 1996. It was a 1994 312-8 with 4.2 or 4.3 hours on it. I knew the lady who owned it and maintained it - it was serviced every fall. It cost me $1100 at auction because the lady died and her husband auctioned off her stuff - she was an avid antique collector and gardener and had a rear engine WH for grass cutting and the 312-8 was used to pull a lawn cart loaded with gardening equiptment. The rear engine went for $800 - I wanted both because I knew she maintained her stuff but the price was too much, and I knew her husband paid $3600-3800 for the 312 two years prior, so that was a deal.

Not knowing what I had or what a Wheel Horse was, I was going to use it to cut my mother's lawn. What I didn't know was that you could buy a tractor without attachments - so I was a little surprised to learn that I couldn't cut the grass because the blade/cutting thinggy wasn't there. I called some dealers and they wanted $950 to 1200 for the mower deck - BS - that's what I paid for the tractor!!! So it sat it my shed for four years.

In 2000 I noticed some guys plowing with their lawn tractors so I checked into it and found out you could do a few things with a Wheel Horse :hide: !!!!! I bought a new plow for around $450 and did my mother's driveway for the next two years until the neighbor across the street complained long and loud enough that she did not like the "extra" snow on her lawn - so the tractor sat again.

In 2005 we decided to add onto our home and I needed to move dirt/rocks/stumps etc so I checked into buying a small tractor. The price was a little too steep and remembered the 312. I checked the internet and found out that you could buy used attachments and tractors and that there were people out there who were sick in the head and owned more than one tractor. :hide:

I loved the look of my classic 312 but was taken by the look of the round hoods. I decided I wanted all of the 1964 models and like most newbies ran around and over paid for everything in order to just have it - before someone else gits it. Thankfully I didn't come across too much.

Now I look for whatever catches my attention (as long as it's a Horse) and the 312 does the work around my house. The neighbors talk among themselves - but they don't laugh in my face - so whenever they need help my phone rings. But I don't care - it's just a hobbie and the kids have fun with it and my wife really doesn't care, in fact she's the reason we went to the show last year.

Sorry for rambling but the topic got the brain started!!!!!

:D

WH854

well I have been retired for 11 years. I had a stroke in march 2003 lost the use of my right arm couldn't hold it up or any thing. But i have since regained the use of it

some what.I decided i needed some kind of project. I was down at this place

that deals in all kinds of stuff I forget what i was looking for.But he had this

Wheel Horse tractor siting on a pallet with a couple old mower decks a transmission.The tractor was complete,but the engine had a bad rod. So i asked him how much, he said 450.00 for everything.So I paid him what he wanted.

got a fellow to haul it home, paid him $50.00 thats how I got started.The tractor in my avatar is the one I bought.My arm is still working on the old 854 and C-105

:horseplay: :hide:

Chas. :D

Cody

Hi every one, i am new to this site and this is my first post, hopefully i do it right.

I started collecting wheel horse tractors about 4 or 5 years now. It all started when my older brother told me he had a wheel horse C-160 for sale. I really never herd of wheel horse thactors before. (i was only 12 at that time) My dad always had John Deere so that is what i grew up with. So i went to my brothers house and looked at it. The tractor was decent, it had a home made snow plow and a nearly new mower deck. He told me i could have it for $150. There was something about that old tractor that a really liked so i bought it. i completly restored the tractor maybe a month later and its been my pride and joy. Over the past five iv been collecting i added 33 new wheel horses to the herd and have all but maybe 5 completly restored and iv been hooked on them ever sense.

HorseFixer

:D Cody keep the stories comming guys! :hide:

bell

Cody, :D

33 WHEEL HORSES!!!!!? :hide: :hide:

Duff

Cody, a hearty :D from me, too!

If the tractors you've restored look as good as the 704 in your Avatar and profile, you're doing some nice work! Congratulations, and welcome aboard!

Duff :hide:

Cody

Thanks every one, this form is wonderful and everyone seems so nice and helpful. I will post pictures of the horses as soon as i figure it out.

Cody

Ok :hide: Duff that helps an awful lot. and thanks for the comment on the tractor in my avatar. its one of my favorites out of all of them

T-Mo

Cody,

:hide: I'm glad you found us. That's a nice tractor in your avatar. And, remember :D

Coadster32

Hey Cody... :D The photobucket thing works good. Great job on the herd. 33 is a whole new level. :hide: Looking forward to pics.

Teddy da Bear

That Fretscha has a great outlook.

He loves those wheel horses and loves America...

Wouldn't it be great to get him here to see the BIG SHOW in June??

I bet that would be something for him to remember! :hide:

Rollerman

Just a friendley reminder guys to get the thread back on topic.

Let's here more stories yet....TDB I see you've posted twice here but haven't seen any story. :hide:

Thanks to all of you who have shared your stories so far! :D

Teddy da Bear

Stephen.....yes twice and more!

I related my collecting story on that old thread you mentioned.

I thought this thread was for the newer guys.

I could make one up if you like?? :hide: :D

Confused99

My story is, when I was around 10 years old, I started wrenching on small engines trying to learn. My grandfather hooked me up with a guy he knew that was retired and wrenched on them in his garage. I went over to his house every day after school to learn how to work on them. He had several tractors and mowers that he would buy and sell but he had 2 WH tractors that were never for sale and were used to do his yard work. I can't remember what model they were but one was a round hood and the other was an early square hood. I have wanted to buy one ever since I seen/used his WH's. I really had no use for one after mowing yards when I was younger until a few years ago when I got into a house. I did a very small amount of looking but was not trying too hard. One day I got a call the the older guy had died and a couple months after that, I contacted the family about buying his old WH's. They did not want to sell at the time so I waited. A year or so later I got word that the family was having an auction to auction all of his stuff off. I live in MN and this was in IA and I was not able to go back that weekend for the auction so I had my grandfather go and bid for my while I was on the phone with him. I don't remember exactly what they went for but I know it was more then I had to spend on a tractor at the time :hide: . I was very bummed that I missed out on them and now looking back, I should have just bid what ever they went to to get them for the sentimental factor. I still kick myself for not getting them. Fast forward about a year and a half later and I came across a Raider 12 with several attachments for a pretty good price and bought it. I used that most of the summer for different things and then a couple months ago came across the C-125 with no attachements. I would still like to pick up a round hood someday though. I don't think I will ever sell the Raider as that is #1 for me.

That's my story, sorry for the rambling.

Jason

Rideawaysenior

Well, it started back when I was 10 years old. I wanted to make some money so I began to mow some lawns with my old mans 21" Toro Whirleind mower. I started mowing so many lawns, my grandfather who was a Wheel Horse Dealer brought home for me a Charger 10 with a deck and plow. I was told, the deal was, if I would mow his yard, and plow his driveway, the machine was mine. I jumped on that like there was no tomorrow. I used to hang around his shop quite often as a kid, so I would put some time in on the weekends putting together new tractors from the crate, or attachments. I learned alot from his mechanic there. I continued to work there through highschool. When I left for college in 1992, he decided it was time to retire. No one in the family was interested in taking over th business like he did from his father, so sadly it was closed, and the inventory sold off to other dealers. He did hold onto some of his prized machines as they were a Wheel Horse Dealer from the very beginning that WH was in New England.

When he passed, my grandmother gave me most of what he had kept knowing I was now into the collecting of these fine machines. It mostly consisted of adverts, Wheel Horse memorbilia such as a couple of presidents club floor mats, blankets and some NOS parts they couldn't get rid of. The tractors he has are still in the barn at their house. My grandmother told me when she gave me what she did, that she just was not ready to have them go yet. I'm pretty sure I know where they will end up as they are collectables. Until then, I can only hope.

Thats my story. What's yours?

Greg Parnell

I'm in North Carolina and didn't know what a Wheel Horse tractor was until a couple of years ago when my Dad called me and said he had traded a used large lawn mower for an old 753 wheelhorse tractor with a deck, plow and disc. I drove to his house to look at it and have been hooked ever since.

We restored it and he gave it to my son, he's almost 4 years old now and loves to drive it.

I am now in the process of building / restoring another older early 60's model Wheel Horse for my daughter, she's 4 months old today.

I like the older round hood tractors.