meadowfield

managed to lay my hands on a GT14 at last - they are apparently very rare in Europe, urban myth has it that under 50 were imported??

gt14trailer.jpg

It looked very sorry for itself, having been parked under cover for over 20 years after the drive belt snapped.

gt14road.jpg

Anyhow, 40 miles later and with some air in the tyres she rolled off the trailer! (after we undid the valve)

gt14serial.jpg

According to the serial no, it's a 1972 model year - engine model matches too :wh:

gt14%20_2.jpg

and after a bit of tinkering she started and settled down to a nice idle :dunno:

Lots of odds and sods to sort out over the winter, but first on the list will be:

Drive belt

Lift valve - missing completely

Choke knob

Steering - either drag link is fitted backwards or theres something missing!!!

So my first question is... can anyone tell me the belt type and length for a GT14?

thanks

mark

• Like 1

Rollerman

In the links section here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143

There is a Gates/Napa cross referance for Wheel Horse belts.

Looks like the GT 14 uses an 85x21/32'nds belt.

Gates part# 6985

Napa part# 21616

Stigian

That's a nice find Mark, it looks quite good for all it's years of being parked up.

Looking forward to see how the rebuild/get in usable condition (not sure what your plans are for it) goes..

AMC RULES

:wh: Hard to believe someone would put that horse down because a belt broke. Glad your brought it back to life. :dunno:

Lars

nice find.. looks good after so many years of storage

here in norway i have seen one for sale whit plowblade and the price is aauch...14000Nok=$2500

Anglo Traction

'Well Played' on the bargaining for it Mark! :dunno: . you have a good Hunk of :wh: there.

Look forward to following the work your planning on it.

Sparky

Great find! Looking forward to reading and seeing the progress on it.

Mike.......

meadowfield

In the links section here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143

There is a Gates/Napa cross referance for Wheel Horse belts.

Looks like the GT 14 uses an 85x21/32'nds belt.

Gates part# 6985

Napa part# 21616

great thanks for that, in the UK I'll have to chase for a metric equivalent. Thats 2160x16mm - does anyone know what profile that eqautes to?

mark

wh1257

looks like my gt 14 have this tractor a 3 pt hitch ?

meadowfield

looks like my gt 14 have this tractor a 3 pt hitch ?

Missing the lower link arms and lift spool valve.... Looking for valve and cat 0 arms of anyone knows of any?

Mark

wh1257

here is my gt 14 in belguim I sold this tractor with no 3 pt. I sold a 3 pt hitch in amerika it was a nos hitch

003-kopie18.jpg

011-kopie13.jpg

013-kopie12.jpg

005-kopie17.jpg

Fotos0759.jpg

meadowfield

I've already been admiring your GT14 ! my 3 point has a position for mounting the lift cylinder at the back - should the need arise for separate mid lift and rear. I can't see them on yours, perhaps it's just the angle the photo is taken at.

Mine is mounted the same as yours though with a the long steel bar connecting the mid hitch and the rocker.

I would appreciate some measurements of the lower arms if you could give me them.

thanks mark

meadowfield

lowerlinkarm.jpg

Vincent, could you please give me some measurements for the lower link arms. I can't find any CAT 0 ones, so am happy to make some.

thanks in advance

mark

meadowfield

Got a replacement belt - though in the conversion from the US measurements to metric the belt is way too long !!!

Size chart said 85" x 21/32" which in european money is 2160x16mm - closest Euro belt code is B83 - ended up with B82- maybe they measure OD instead of ID?

Anyway, its running, drives OK, idler/clutch linkage is worn and belt rides up out of grooves, speed control link is very worn and needs welding and machining back out. Transmission makes some noise, but no idea what it should sound like - it's not really any worse than an 8 speed can be. It will stall on low revs if I overload by trying to push something immoveable
:eek:
which I hope is a good sign.

Haven't got it hot enough to be certain the pump and motor are fully serviceable though.

The required parts list is building up!!!

still looking for some lower link arm dimensions if anyone can help?

Also implement lift valve, choke cable/knob and pepper pot muffler !

mark

TT

Try here:
:eusa-whistle:

meadowfield

Try here:
:eusa-whistle:

gee, what a ****** - like a said I had been busy and missed the post !!!!

thanks again Terry

Brrly1

Mark, the orginal belts are still available. Belt # is 8334

meadowfield

Right, it's taking me longer than I hoped to get on with the GT14, my workshop is taking a lot of time!

But I have now managed to source an implement lift valve from that auction site.

That leaves me with the issue of finding out how it mounts... I know it mounts somewhere on the frame at the side of the speed linkage, and two of the hoses from the lift cylinder connect. But exactly where does it mount and what linkage do I have missing??

Does anyone has suitable pictures they can share? The manuals are not very clear, also looking for the correct hose length for send return pipes, and how they connect into the transmission - maybe when I remove the rear fender and clean 40 years of crud it might be more apparent how it hangs together....

Mark

meadowfield

Been a while since the last update...

Took the sheet off - attached a fresh battery - not even a click :banghead: Checked wires from battery to solenoid and beyond...

No power to solenoid or coil :confusion-scratchheadblue:

removed ingition switch

IMG-20120211-00155.jpg

terminals and wiring fairly shot - but I thought I'd try clean it up a little...

Add some fuel - it starts then stops :confusion-scratchheadblue:

wiggle wires, starts again and warms up for a minute or too - then stops :banghead:

Try to start it, starter engages and jams on - try to push gearback but it's jammed. Squirt WD40 inside gear, it then spins, but doesnt turn main ring gear... :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Undo cowl, note previous owner has beaten the crap out of it before

IMG-20120211-00163-1.jpg

Remove starter and take starter pinion off, theres no actual mechanical connection from the collar on the bendix to the gear. Appears to be rubber cone and rely on friction???

Thinks it's broken...looks on ebay $30-50 for new one - looks closely at pictures and it seems thats how it is :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Clean with carb cleaner reassemble, try turning over - it engages and fires :banana-tux:

note wire on rectifier look at bit sorry and one is trapped under casting, remove regulator and can see why !

IMG-20120211-00161.jpg

replace rectifier and put back together...

...So back to where I planned 3 hours earlier !!!!

I've got the lift valve and the hoses - and now the know how to put it together :icecream:

IMG-20120211-00167.jpg

IMG-20120211-00169.jpg

IMG-20120211-00168.jpg

The result... started her up, moved the valve and it worked!! :woohoo:

Even had the pipes in the right order too!

• Like 2

meadowfield

and heres the video to prove it !

• Like 1

neil

Congratulations Mark :happy-jumpeveryone::flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-wavegreatbritain:

meadowfield

made a little more progress today...

we now have a new implement lift control :D

IMG-20120224-00282.jpg

pretty proud of my handiwork :tools-hammerdrill:

Got the 3 point lift working with my new lift arms

IMG-20120224-00276.jpg

and finally got the transmission to temperature by trying to pull two tons uphill! :scared-eek: and am pleased to say it's working pretty well but for the worn control linkage!

IMG-20120224-00277.jpg

mark

• Like 1

meadowfield

Well today I have really made some progress !

IMG-20120225-00292.jpg

pulled both hubs off - which was good news as we thought we might have had to split the diff and press them out !

IMG-20120225-00294.jpg

dropped the transmission and oil...

IMG-20120225-00311.jpg

converted the GT14 into a hostess trolley of sorts... a rather natty coffee table if a little oily :D

IMG-20120225-00300.jpg

removed the pump and motor

IMG-20120225-00296.jpg

stopped for a refuel... :thumbs:

IMG-20120225-00302.jpg

back on with things, splitting the gearbox to see what goes on inside :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

IMG-20120225-00303.jpg

it's very clean, but wait there's a bearing shot to pieces :confusion-confused:

IMG-20120225-00307.jpg

and what remains of the parking brake.... I wonder where the rest is???

IMG-20120225-00299.jpg

well there is a neat little pile of filings on the strainer :o

IMG-20120225-00309.jpg

and heres just how clean the insides have come up - note the trashed torrington bearing.

Fingers crossed I'll get new seals and bearings early next week then I can get it back together.

mark

• Like 2