Sign in to follow this  
Giles

Deck Removal

Giles

I have a C175 and was needing to remove deck for regular service and cleaning. I had a friend over and he watched as I removed it and was shocked at what he saw :thanks:

It has always amazed me as to how simple these decks are to remove--app. 3 minutes to remove and app. 5 minutes to replace. :dunno:

But--I am probably "preaching to the choir" :help:

Amazing engineering that is probably non-existent today :wh:

ben06351

Yup it's a real slick bit of engineering. It's just great how well the things work. :dunno:

MaineDad

I agree. I once had a 2005 Sears GT5000 that took a good 20 minutes to remove the deck. It was a big PIA!!!

It's pretty much that easy with the snow blower too :dunno:

Hydro

In between Wheel Horses I had a John Deere(not for long) 6 points of attachment to connect the deck to the tractor. What a pain and the deck clogged unlike the Wheel Horse deck. The deck design was nowhere as clean or as simple as the Wheel Horse. The deck belt tensioning system was much more cumbersome too. It's really too bad someone could not produce new decks for all the good horses that are still out here.

can whlvr

dont quote me gary but i think you can still buy a shell from toro,in parts tree they list a 42 inch shell for 730.00,and thats american so it would be alot more up here

Duff

Has anyone tried taking a shell from another manufacturer and remounting the WH lift hardware onto it? I ask becuase I'm about to be given a '94 green tractor with a 46" deck on it. The tractor is toast but the deck is in terrific shape and the metal in the shell is much thicker than my WH shells. I wonder if the conversion can be done? :wh:

Duff :dunno:

can whlvr

it will depend on how much fabbing you are willing to do duff,it probally wont be too hard to get the lifting harness on but the rear wheels and height adjustment could be a bit of an issue,but with some drilling and welding im sure it could be done

Hydro

I'm sure you could do it. The JD deck I had initialy impressed me because of the metal gauge. They need to be that thick for all the grass they accumulate!! You're right though the W/H deck is thinner and of course we know where they go first but still all in all they are a better cleaner design and an easier method of attachment.