Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

Updated Rat RJ58

VinsRJ

I know in one of my other RAT posts I was done messing around with this thing but, after the 2010 WH Show I had to make a couple changes.

I was surprised by all of the positive feedback I got with this tractor. I seemed to be a litle bit of a hit. The one ocmment I heard the most was to bad it wasn't an altered..... That got me thinking..... so apart came the RAT..... and out came this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLbIM_qz44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirLgr-mfuA...n_order&list=UL

Rollerman

I like it :thumbs2:

Think you'll have to beef up or suport the rear axle tubes any?

grnlark

I think its wicked! :thumbs2:

VinsRJ

I like it :thumbs2:

Think you'll have to beef up or suport the rear axle tubes any?

I was thinking I may. I am in the planning stages of the wheelie bars and might try to incorperate a support system. I like the look of the spindly axels so I'm trying not to ruin that look.

stevebo

One of the RJ's I have the po welded triangle gussets to the sideplates and tubes which is typically a weak point. Not oem but looks fine.

Sparky

I liked it before and I like the new changes :thumbs2: ! How fast is it?

I have a 656 with a Honda 5hp on it but stock pulleys. I'm thinkin about upping the engine pulley a bit. Not sure how much would be to much but I'd like it to hit 10-11 mph if I could.

Mike..........

Rooster

I liked it before and I like the new changes :thumbs2: ! How fast is it?

I have a 656 with a Honda 5hp on it but stock pulleys. I'm thinkin about upping the engine pulley a bit. Not sure how much would be to much but I'd like it to hit 10-11 mph if I could.

Mike..........

Now your talking my language....lol.

A crude but effective way of making a pulley change is to simply figure your final drive ratio and how much you need to change it.

Since we are doing an "about" change, you don't really need to get into alot of math.

If you know how fast your going now, lets say 7 mph, and you want to increase that as you say to 10-11 mph that is about a 50% increase.

A 50% increase in final drive ratio will give you a 50% increase in speed.

But remember, every gear will be faster, including reverse. You will not have the pulling power you used to have!

HorseFixer

Looks pretty cool Vinny. :thumbs2:

~Duke

Kelly

Looks good, to brace the rear, how about a truss bar going from end of tube under the trans to end of the other tube, could be just a small steel rod, we use them on our race cars to stiffen the housings.

AMC RULES

I like it a lot Vince. :thumbs2: You got the show, now give it some more go. :banghead:

VinsRJ

Thanks Guys,

Kelly, I hadn't thought of that but I like that idea.... If I could find a small aluminum I-beam, I could heat it a little to bend it around the trans and drill it out for the look and clamp/bolt it to the axel tube ends :thumbs2:

As for the speed, I did increase the pulley size on the motor to a 3" diameter pulley but run a stock RJ pulley on the trans. I did not want to over drive the RJ 5003 tranny to much seeing its not the stoutest unit in the world.

The 6.5 Honda Clone on it has plenty of power to move it along just fine. My ginger start off in the second vid was due to the fact that the first time out I dumped the clutch in 3rd and pulled a wheel stand high enough to toss me off and skin the backs of my legs to hamberger, I gots pics to prove it :banghead: . it will even pull solid wheelies in 1st and 2nd if you are not careful :banghead:

One thing you have to keep in mind when riding this thing is there is no weight on the front end, so it pushes hard when steering in 3rd at full throttle.

Ken B

Awesome job Vin, it just keeps getting better and better! :thumbs2:

wallfish

I don't see why you would need to beef up the rear axels since there is no added weight to it unless you are going for a "look". It's just like it would be on a normal tractor. I kind'a like that "spindley look" on it too.

Rooster

One thing you have to keep in mind when riding this thing is there is no weight on the front end, so it pushes hard when steering in 3rd at full throttle.

Is there a way you could tip the axle back, you seem to have pretty straight up spindles, adding a little caster to your front end would help that.

I know the point of the thing isn't it's awesome cornering ability, lol, but it might make it a little bit nicer to drive.

Coadster32

Looks good Vin. I like it. :thumbs2:

Wheel Horse Kid

Man is that thing radical!!!!!

AMC RULES
My ginger start off in the second vid was due to the fact that the first time out I dumped the clutch in 3rd and pulled a wheel stand high enough to toss me off and skin the backs of my legs to hamberger, I gots pics to prove it

horsefeathers

Vince , way too cool ... I need the competition! Bring it on!