Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

What is in the Service Manual's

nylyon

I've been seeing these PDF versions of the Wheel Horse service manuals on eBay, and was curious what kind of information is contained in these manuals? Does anyone have a service manual, hard or soft copy, and is it something to spend money on?

Sparky

I would think that with groups like this one, MTF, and the big Yahoo group you could manage without it. Any questions you have are sure to be answered by someone in one of these groups.

And if you need a "close enough" answer then just ask me :D !

Mike.......

T-Mo

Lucky for me I can get one still from Toro, either the downloadable one and the paper version. I have both, but the quality is not good (more on that later). They're okay, but not near as informative or concise as the service manuals you can get from JD on their equipment. JD, in their manuals, take you through almost every step, from engine to mower, to front bumper to rear hitch. Also they have a good electrical section in them. The manuals for the WH's are good, but not as detailed as JDs, IMHO. If the price is fairly low, then I would say go for it.

Now, for the quality. The manuals that I have on the C-141 are taken from a scan and they're almost unreadable in some instances. So, that's where I have the biggest beef on the manuals that I got, both downloadable and paper, from Toro.

Curmudgeon

Tell you what, once Toro finds out they are being sold, they'll not be sold any longer. They WILL take anyone to court who they catch selling copies. You're free to share them for free, but not to sell for profit.

See, they are an american company all about profit, for themselves, afterall.

Dale

T-Mo

This is true also for JD manuals. You can sell an original copy or a JD reprinted one, but you can not sell one that you copied or reprinted yourself. JD has the copyrights on them and they can and will take someone to court over selling one that you copied yourself.

I'm sure Dale is correct that Toro wouldn't want the copies sold unless they printed it themselves.

T-Mo

Okay, what's the deal here. Is this a download from Toro that somebody is trying to capitalize on:

Digital Service Manual

I wonder how many people buy this?

nylyon

Aside from the engine and transmission manuals, I haven't seen an overall service manual available for download from Toro which led to my initial question, what information is in the service manual.

I do agree that with the collective knowledge all the groups provide, there probably isn't anything in the manual which couldn't be answered by one of the team, but I'm still curious what is in the manual.

CasualObserver

Terry, Karl, that manual is available for free download. just pick one of the tractors listed in the listing and put it into toro's product center, hit the manual button, and viola' whatdayaknow... it's free!

And I have to say, rant.gif as a co-owner of the yahoo manuals groups, (as well as a major contributor), the folks selling copies made a couple of us (the owners) so mad, that we started the free groups. It's just technical data, a.k.a. crap to most of the world, you shouldn't be paying five and ten or more dollars for a freakin copy. And besides that... Toro can get you a copy of darn near anything and for cheaper than whoever is doing it on ebay. I can't really be as upset about people who ask for a dollar or two, because there is printer ink, paper, and a mailing cost... but come on.... I sincerely hope nobody is paying $12 to download a manual (a.k.a digital delivery) that you can get from Toro for free!

nylyon

Terry sent me a copy of the manual he had down loaded. I had looked on the Toro site for my models and there wasn't a service manual. This one has some interesting information, but it is no where near the collective knowledge right here.

CasualObserver

A good tip if you can't find a manual on the Toro site for your exact year of tractor is to go one or two years forward and backward, or go up or down one HP size... The tractors changed very little from year to year, you can probably find a manual in one of the years on either side. :D

T-Mo

Terry sent me a copy of the manual he had down loaded. I had looked on the Toro site for my models and there wasn't a service manual. This one has some interesting information, but it is no where near the collective knowledge right here.

Karl,

As I said, the manual is okay, but it doesn't match the information that JD puts in their manuals. But, I still like to have the manuals.