Sign in to follow this  
OhioTractorGuy

Not sure what I just bought, can you help?

OhioTractorGuy

Here is my first wheelhorse purchase. Not really sure what I have here. It came with the mowing deck and the snow plow (not pictured). Runs okay, working on mechanicals first as a lesson in small engine mechanics for the kids, then a paint job. When I bought it, I received the original owners manaual and sales brouchers from 1961 in the original envelop. Unbelievable. However, I'm not real sure. The seller said it's a suburban 550 with a 4 hp engine. Can anyone please help me out? Also, if there are any favorite sites for parts, I'd love to know as I'm in need of an air cleaner and a short, but growing list of odds/ends. Thanks!

WH1.jpg

WH2.jpg

WH3.jpg

WH4.jpg

WH5.jpg

littleredrider

Looking the s/g belt guard I'd say it's a 701. Also has the slim gas tank, foot rests, and can't really tell but different style fenders.

joebob

1961 701 the twin belts ,foot pads, hood stand are the major give aways

rydogg

It's a 701

LeSueur2011014.jpg

Joe beat me to it :banghead:

The motor is a Kohler K161 which is a 7hp

I almost forgot :thumbs2:

OhioTractorGuy

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your input. My boys and I plan to do alot of learning on this little tractor. I love the the photo above, gives me inspiration.

Time to plan tomorrow's tear down to get some things cleaned up!

SPINJIM

It's definitely NOT a Suburban. The Suburbans with a Kohler were 4hp (models 400 or 401). The Suburban 550 was a Tecumseh 5 1/2 hp. They were all 'nut roasters' with the engine mounted just in front of the seat, and the gas tank mounted forward, strapped to the underside of the hood. I'd have to agree that it looks like a 701 or 702 from early 60s. Just my opinion, but it's probably a more desirable model than the Suburban. Neat little tractor, and well worth restoring. Good luck with it. :thumbs2:

Kelly

It is a 701 and they did call them Suburbans still at that point, but not what we think of now days when you say suburban.

Horse'n Around

Congratulations on a great find ! :thumbs2:

dclarke

You can get the correct dash plate for your 701 from Glen Pettit in the vendor section at the bottom of the home page. looks like you have the original choke and throttle cables which are hard to come by. Nice tractor! Keep the pictures coming and :thumbs2:

WHRNaddict

Nice 701, If that's original paint I would consider taking care of all the mech stuff and leaving it original paint, with exception of the rear wheels should be almond like the front, and a square seat pan. Just my thought's, I'm and original guy when it's not already been painted.

:thumbs2:

OhioTractorGuy

Thanks again everyone. This should be a fun project. So glad to know someone makes a 701 dash, I was picturing me whittling one out of wood!!

So I can sleep better, can do you think $350 was a decent price for this and the plow and mower deck? I plan on keeping the plow, but probably will be selling the deck at some point.

rydogg

I think you got a good deal...your tractor has all the hard to find parts such as the starter/generator double belt guard, correct choke and throttle cables, transmission belt guard, the tin also looks correct and pretty straight, it looks like all you need is to get a dash from Glen and I have an air cleaner cover if you need one. The 701 was the first tractor to have the engine moved to the front of the tractor all the previous years had the motor mounted in the middle directly beneath the steering wheel, this tractor has quite a few 1 year only parts and also shares some parts with the 1962 model 702. Kelly is correct these were called Suburbans but when most people think of a Wheel Horse Suburban they are thinking of the mid engine type.

rthomp26

Nice find! Still one of my faves! I really miss mine. Only round hood with a solid grill that isn't a "ball burner"

By the way..one of the pics makes it look like a fender is a little rough. If so I have an extra set I can part with that are straight. Let me know. I'm in Ohio too.

OhioTractorGuy

Since this isn't all original paint, I won't mind doing a paint job on it.

Thanks again for eveyone's suggestions. I just ordered a new dash and have a growing list of odds/ends.

Since it's dry after being pressure washed, time to get it running again.