Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Can you convert a C-120 to Rear Gas tank?

HorseFixer

My 74 C-120 Gas tank Fueling sucks. :thumbs2: Is it possible to convert

it over to rear gas tank maybe by making brackets to mount the gas tank

seat & fenders?

Thanks ~Duke

546cowboy

As I recall th C-120 has the lift up seat pan doesn't it? I would think if you remove the tool box and put a newer bracket in there for the rear tank it could be done but you would have to change the seat pan to the newer style that doesn't lift up.

That newer bracket has just two bolts in the center and the tool box has a bolt in each corner and I don't have a tractor to look at right now so you might have to drill some holes.

You might have to change that brace under the front of the pan too as that has two bolts that hold the tank at the front. The tank goes through that brace too at the front. It is a formed brace where the original brace is bent flat stock as I recall.

jdog_kustoms

you would have to use the stuff off like a c121 or any tractor that has the tank under the seat i converted a 75 c 120 to a 76 c120 it dont have the tank under the seat but its about all the same work and everything was a bolt on

kpinnc

you would have to use the stuff off like a c121 or any tractor that has the tank under the seat

True, but more work if you want a "bolt-on" option than you'd think. This WILL work, but the C-xx1 model tractors are very similar to the 300/400 series from the dash tower to the rear fender. You'll have to change all of that to make it work. Tower, lift arm, everything. If it's an automatic with hydraulic lift- it'll be even more parts to change out.

Otherwise you're looking at modifications to your existing C-120. The "flip-up" bracket on the fender pan is spot-welded in, which can be drilled at the welds and removed. How much of the supports underneath you'd need to remove to fit a standard under-the-seat tank under there, I am not sure. But, it can be done. You'd also need to fab up a support for the fender pan similar to a 300/400 series.

But, as I said before- it can be done.

ol550

I have a pile scrap metal I would sell you. I'm sure it would fit and it is all there.

wheel horse 1045

it wont have the bolt holes on yours to match the newer style but it will work i did it with my 1974 C160, the holes on the transmission is what im refering to .

WH854
My 74 C-120 Gas tank Fueling sucks.

WH854

This picture show a fender pan off of a 520H with the square hole in the middle,makes it easy to get to stuff under the fender :banghead: Without haveing to remove the seat and fender :thumbs2:

Oct27006.jpg

Chas

smoreau

I think Duke wants to convert a c120 auto to a rear tank, not a 8 speed. The only problem that I see is the holes that mount the tool box on the sunstrand trans are totally different then the eaton trans or the 8 speed. I think it all could be done with some minor modification to the eaton tank-seat stand. Then the front seat pan bracket would have to be mounted to the back of the dash tower. Next would be the to see if the tank will clear the sun strand pump and hydo lines for the lift? I just compared my 520 parts tractor and my 74 c160 auto and I think it will work. Its not a bolt on and go, but with a little modification and some time it can be done. Just how much work do you want to do? It should look good when finished and hold more gas too!

HorseFixer

oooooOOOOKAY thank you all very much for the Ideas, and Motivation And yes now that the Link was reposted thanks travisg84 I remember the Stigsters build as I even Commented On Pete Kissing The Tractor! :thumbs: As I mentioned I love My :thumbs: But uh well :D not that much! :thanks: I decided that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel Soooo what I found by making a few phone calls is a 1980 C165 complete tractor less the engine. :ROTF: Yep if I can get that 17 twin running looks like Ill be the proud owner of a C-175 :thumbs2: and the Snow Chucker Stuff (less the Snow Cab) cause I have a brand new cab late model that I will modify to fit, So everything else will be transfered over to it eventually. :banghead:

:banghead: ~Duke

travisg84

I can't blame you on not wanting to get into it my c120 was an auto I forgot how much was different on it. Most of my c120 is a raider14 now. I'm not sure what I will call it when I'm done haha!

truckin88

duke are you taking the 17 off the 417 A? Why not make that a snow chucker?

CRE1992

Duke I feel bad, I found a C161 that has everything your looking for it just needs a rebuild... Too bad we live so far away from one another :thumbs2: If seller decides to part it I will let you know :banghead:

Charles

HorseFixer

Truckin nope dont want to mutilate the C-120 and the 417A I am leaving alone also. What happened when I got the 417A from Kelly it had a Locked up engine well I swapped engine out with another 17. And after leavin the engine set awhile with AMSOIL FOGGING oil in the cylinders the damn thing freed up!! :banghead: So I am thinking since it seems to have good compression I need a tractor with rear tank and flip up seat so's I can get at the fill stick on tranny to ck the oil See the problem is on the C120 the snow cab bolts to the seat pan so you cant flip it up. Thats my delimma I need a hydro with a bad engine and Oh by the way the the C-165 fell through :thumbs: proplem was it was to crappy lookin and didnt have hydraulics and was missin a dash and other parts. I asked him how much he wanted to pay for me to haul away ? :D needless to say he didnt think that was to funny! :thumbs: Oh well back to the drawing board. :thumbs2:

So kinda what Im looking for is a late model C-165 w hydro with bad engine or a maroon stripe with hydro bad engine. Ill put the 17 in it and if all goes well Ill swap the Snow Chucker stuff to it Yep I realize I will need to modify the Cab for a Maroony. :banghead:

Cheers ~Duke

truckin88

find a 520 w/ a blown motor and eaton 11