grnlark

My New 702

grnlark

Some of you might have already heard the story... :banghead: Yes, my wife was in labor in the delivery room of the hospital when I was closing the deal on this 702 with Jeff (fireman) via PM's with my phone. :banghead:

Needless to say, I went to pick it up this morning and couldn't wait to mess with it a little. It was going to need new rear rubber regardless, so I stuck these old school BFG's on it that my brother gave me a while back. I think they just might stay put. I think it just looks great. Hopefully if time permits, I'd like to get the front rims blasted and painted tomorrow too.

Thanks a lot Jeff! :thumbs2:

702.jpg

• Like 1

grnlark

Question for you guys too:

It was my understanding that the three number designation [702] represented (1) engine horsepower, (2) Manual start - 0 or electric start - 5 (3) and last digit of the year of production. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm wondering how this 702 managed to end up electric start? Or is this maybe a 753? Or did the hydro add-on require dealer installation of electric start? Any thoughts?

Rooster

Looks Great!

And in the background....Is that a Mini Rod?

CasualObserver

Question for you guys too:

It was my understanding that the three number designation [702] represented (1) engine horsepower, (2) Manual start - 0 or electric start - 5 (3) and last digit of the year of production. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm wondering how this 702 managed to end up electric start? Or is this maybe a 753? Or did the hydro add-on require dealer installation of electric start? Any thoughts?

Matt, It is a 702. The 753 would have had the newer style of front axle with two tie rods. Your 702 should have a flat front with Suburban style axle, one tie rod and one flat drag link between the two wheels.

As with all things :thumbs2: (meaning there's always an exception) The three digit naming convention does pretty much hold true from 1960-1967 EXCEPT for the 701, 702 (which were both electric start) and the 633 (the only one with a 3 and it was a recoil start) I think those are the only ones.

WheelHorse58

Good find. That thing looks nice. Hmm... Is that a puller I spy in the corner? :thumbs2:

WheelHorse58

That puller looks amazing when you do something as far as progress goes on it let me know if not post a new post. That thing looks like it ought to turn out real nice. Being from PA haha nice panzer.

wheel horse tractor guy

My wife would kill me :thumbs2: if i was making a deal on a tractor and she was waiting for a baby in the delivery room. TRACTOR LOOKS GREAT GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Edjfleming

Hey Matt,

My 702 has electric start too!!! You should ditch the hydraulics, just doesnt look right. Let me know when you have them off, ill pick them up!!!

stevasaurus

Matt...you probably know this...they made 3 horses in 1962 (not talking about the lawn rangers)...702 (7hsp Kohler--electric start...552 Tecky/Lawson---eletcric start...502 Tecky/Lawson---pull start). The HY-2 was available on the horse if you ordered it, and it was also available as a kit if you had one and wanted to put one on it. You are correct in that it would make sense to call it a 752, but we are not talking about Corvettes. The Tecky/Lawsons were 5.5 Hsp with an oil pump...which I think was the only year they did that....the rest were splash. Anyway...your new 702 from Jeff looks to be correct and a very nice horse. The 702 is one of my favorite horses, reliable, strong, and a lot of them out there...parts are there for the asking. You can not beat this round hood. :thumbs2:

ol550

So... What happend in the delivery room?? :banghead: Got pics? :thumbs2:

stevebo

Yup you have issues !! No surprise here.. I really like the look of those tires on the 702. Glad to see it ended up in your collection. You know that you need to keep it for a few years then paint it pink and give it to the little one ... :thumbs2:

Ken B

Congrats Matt! Nice looking horse as well. Isn't that the 702 Vin has been eyein for a long time? :banghead:

Hey Steve, weren't you supposed to paint a tractor pink for your daughter? How'd that turn out? :thumbs2:

stevebo

The kids are convinced that only the good tractors are red ! They have learned to say that all other tractors are baby tractors. My son says it everytime we walk into the Home Depot and he sees the green and yellow junk... :thumbs2:

Good to see you are around Ken. Do you have any horses in your stable or only things that float?

jbumgarner

I really like the looks for the rear tires. What size are they. I am planning on starting my 702 in a month or so and still considering what direction to go with it.

grnlark

I have mostly floaters these days, however, I think we took care of that today!

Ken, those things are INSANE!

And I also saw your vid with the 1915 Evinrude. That's awesome!

grnlark

I really like the looks for the rear tires. What size are they.

Jeff, the tires are standard 6x12 but they are squeezed on 5x12 rims. That's why they look a little balloonish. :thumbs2:

grnlark

I know it's not factory correct for a 702, but I like the black/silver combo on the red tractors... I'm still not totally sold on the front tires though. I think I want see what a set of skinny RJ35 front rims/tires looks like :thumbs2:

Attached Image

post-3-1316085428.jpg

stevebo

I think you should put a set of small tri ribs up front :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

so I stuck these old school BFG's on it that my brother gave me a while back. I think they just might stay put. I think it just looks great.

Thanks a lot Jeff! :banghead:

702.jpg

Damn right it looks great! :thumbs2: I'm with Stevebo on the Tri ribs to bad there aint a way to get matchin BFG's raised white letters on the fronts! WoW would that ever look sweet! I am diggin those rears they look :D I like the Black Rims I would most deffinatley have matching Rims Pure White may look good also! It looks great on my 417A and got lots of comments. Either way she looks great and needs something hangin off the bottom like a grader blade or mid & rear culters. :banghead:

Coadster32

Glad to see Jeff's horse went to a good home. :thumbs2: I also had some interest in it, but it wasn't happening anytime soon. I like to rears as well. Good luck with it, and the newest family member.

grnlark

...to bad there aint a way to get matchin BFG's raised white letters on the fronts! WoW would that ever look sweet!

I think you should win an award for that suggestion. :thumbs2: I think thats exactly what it needed! :banghead:

IMAG0207.jpg

Pullstart

surely bringing this back from the dead, thanks google images!  those black wheels look slick on this 702!  any updates on this one?