Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

The C-141 is Home (again)

T-Mo

If everyone remembers my '79 C-141 Automatic and it's smoking problem. I was concerned about her health as you know smoking is bad on the lungs and one's health. Well I had it over at my lawn mower repair guy for a carb cleaning. He actually replaced the carb with one from a C-125 and he told me he drove it up and down the road - and it didn't smoke. I brought it home today and sure enough, no smoke (just a little when she's cold). I cut my mom's grass today with it for about 20 minutes and it ran great, no smoke and it idled down good. It's still very loud and I found out why. The exhaust pipe is very loose and is leaking before it goes into the muffler. The U-bolt type clamp is tight, but it seems the pipe is too large for the threaded pipe that goes into the engine. I might just put a stack on her yet.

It was a good day.

kpinnc

Ain't it just great when you find a repair costs much less than you feared it would?

Congratulations!

T-Mo

Yes, it is great when the repair is cheaper and less severe than you expect. I was fearing the worst, a rebuild or at least rings. I was so thrilled with the no smoke that she got a good bath today.

kj4kicks

Score one for the home team !

Congrats on the success of the surgery....

Eldon.

Sparky

A bath!! Hmmm....27 degrees here in Connecticut this morning......no more baths till spring for my horses.

Nice to hear the 141 is up an runnin. Tractor Supply has stacks with 1" inlets.

I have one and it works great, and not to loud.

Mike......

Rollerman

Glad to hear the carb fixed it...possibly running to rich before?

If ya put a stack on it just be carefull about the weight...141 has a rubber mounted cradle engine.

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

A bath!! Hmmm....27 degrees here in Connecticut this morning......no more baths till spring for my horses.

I hear you. But I live in Missouri, there is no such thing as normal. The other night it was 18 degrees, yesterday it was near 60. This morning it's very windy and a little rain. We may see snow tomorrow or 70. It's Missouri, who knows what the weather will bring.

Glad to hear the carb fixed it...possibly running to rich before?

If ya put a stack on it just be carefull about the weight...141 has a rubber mounted cradle engine.

Good point, Mike. I haven't thought of that. Any suggestions on how to handle it? Bracket to the stack, but where to attached it to the tractor? I was thinking engine, but as you pointed out the isolated engine cradle. Maybe mounted to the engine. then the engine and the stack will move together, which is good, right? And if I mount the bracket to the frame then the engine mounts will be compromised and the stack will nullified the mounts or put stress on the stack or both. Mmm....I have to give this some more thought. :D