Sign in to follow this  
jachady

Snowblower - Just for snow?

jachady

So I've been using my tractors on 10 acres of land that I have. Tilling up trails, knocking down mounds and smoothing them out with the plow, and hauling wood.

This was this weekend, trying not to scratch the new paint job.

th_IMG00414.jpg

But I have started on a different project. It entails creating a drainage ditch to make sure any water runoff doesn't go through our camping area. I rototilled about a 150 foot long swath around the camping spot to the main ditch by the road. I started digging the loose dirt by hand, then got to thinking :thumbs2: . What if I used the snow blower? The dirt is actually loose dirt, sand and loam mix. It shovels like powdered sugar.

It has been done before, check this video out. http://youtu.be/Ljd-Kml6S9E

Besides the exposed chain, do you think I'll do irreparable harm to the blower? Should I load up on grease on the chain or do you think that will just collect more sand?

btw: If I have a gently used snowblower for sale in a week, don't buy it!!! :banghead:

John

boovuc

Hi John,

The Liebrecht Ditcher isn't a snowblower. It was designed to throw dirt. In one word, :banghead: Would you do harm to a Wheelhorse snowblower trying to blow dirt? Yup! :banghead:

As much as they cost used, I wouldn't do it. It would also be a good way to hurt the motor when you lock everything up at 3600 RPM with a rock! (But I think you already know this)! :thumbs2:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

smoreau

Install a dozer blade to move dirt. The blower might work but the dozer blade will do it faster and with less damage to your machine.

wallfish

If you've got the balls, I say go for it and let us know how it works. Don't forget the video!!!!!!!!! I think it would work but definitely will shorten the life of some of the parts. And yes, grease would actually attract and hold more dirt.

At least the inside of the chute will be ready for paint. :thumbs2:

SousaKerry

I've done my share of ditching on the farm and trust me you never know what your going to hit that the tiller missed, or skipped over. Rent yourself a ditcher for the weekend and save yourself the grief. :thumbs2:

Hmmm now you got me thinking a ditcher attachment for a wheel horse mwahahaha :banghead:

m2424j

:thumbs2: Hi John,

I want to see the video! The tractor that was on the you Tube post was similar to a wheel Horse just not as much HP. :banghead: I don't think she's going to have the power to go deep enough to make it worth what you'll lose this winter. If the soil is that soft make a row harrow that will do the work much more efficiently. Either way good luck. :banghead:

Forest Road

I'm a big believer of having the right tool for the job. Just wondering if you have a stash of snow shovels? I can't imagine how many you'll ned to replace that blower?

HorseFixer

:thumbs2: I wouldnt do that with a Horse! :D

But with a Deere....... Yep! :banghead::banghead:

jachady

Well, the jury's out and the verdict is - - -

th_VIDEO0042.jpg

th_VIDEO0043.jpg

It actually worked great, it cleared approx 4 - 6 inches of the dirt in the ditch and piled it right along side. The worst part was actually the small 1/2 inch roots. They snagged the blower and actually stopped me in my tracks (thats when you see me lifting and dropping the blower). I did about 400 feet of trench and if it wasn't for the fact that it's hard to make a sharp turn I would have done more. I kept an eye on the chain and sprockets for any wierd wear but all looks good. I'm sure it did some damage, like took a year off the life of the blower, but that means its still got lots of life left. :)

6wheeler

That is cool. I would have tried it too. I always end up using stuff for other than what was intended :techie-eureka::handgestures-fingerscrossed: . Helps weed out the bad stuff :teasing-whipyellow: . Sometimes I look like a genius and sometimes like a :occasion-clown: . But hey, you won't know if you don't try right? So, the classified would read. " For sale , 1 Snowblower/ excavator. Lightly used" :laughing-rolling:

Kelly

well if anyone needs one to move dirt I have a few beater dirt blowers for sale B)

• Like 2

dennist

I have a nice cab for sale if needed.

kpinnc

I've never needed a snow blower down here before, but always wanted one anyway...

Now I have a reason to get one! :ychain:

specialwheelhorse

I've heard blowers have been used down south in commercial

chicken operations to move chicken waste with good results.

But good heavans you would sure need a uniform and gas mask.

Ever hear of this ??

Jim in TEXAS

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Wow that brings new meaning to $h!t hitting the fan

• Like 5

rwilson

Can you imagine cleaning a chicken pen with Dukes chucker?

• Like 2

AMC RULES

...and accidentally(or not)sucking up a couple hens along the way? :jaw::scared-eek::ROTF:

:wwp:

Coadster32

Wow...that looked like it worked awesome for you!! For the back breaking work it saved you, it certainly seemed worth it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

jachady

We were surprised how well it worked. Next year we're thinking having a tractor pulling a wagon alongside and collecting all that good black dirt. Kind of like when they harvest corn.

• Like 1

scifi4all

I I I I don't know what to say!

On one hand that is just cool, to try it and see what happens. On the other hand, really! A tall chute blower, not an old wire crank beat up blower! After what I paid to get a tall chute! You're bringing a tear to my eye!

But, nothin says somethin like pictures and video! Thanks, for letting us see anything can be possible!

6wheeler

Jim, that does work. When I read that it reminded me of when I was younger. I worked for a guy that raised butchering chickens ( 8000 of them). They were in stacked cages in these 2 barns that were 120' long with 2 rows of cages the length of the building. They were stacked 4 high and the droppings fell out from the bottom of each row to the outside onto the walkway. The foreman was named Juan and he came up with this (what I thought) great idea. They had a JD 400 with a snow plow on it. He put an extension on each side of the blade so it would reach under the rows of cages and he would blade the waste onto the walkway which was about 8' wide. He pulled a trailer that he made with hydraulic dump on it. And I would go along with a 7/24 snow blower with a chute extension (that he also made) and blow it into the trailer. There was also fallen feed and feathers but it worked great. We would turn on the exhaust fans because" YES" it was dusty but also for the tractor and snow blower exhaust. He rigged up the chute extension from an old Minneapolis Moline sileage blower, and you could adjust the end of it to change the pitch on the end. It would reach 4' and I could blow it right into the trailer. We could clean the 2 barns in about 2 hours and that included hauling the loads down to the pile and sweeping under the cage supports. So yes jachady, it does work. But, if you were going to move alot of dirt, you may want to put some sort of plastic liner in the chute for rocks and such. Thanks for bringing that up Jim, that is a great memory. Pat

• Like 1

varosd

Jim, that does work. When I read that it reminded me of when I was younger. I worked for a guy that raised butchering chickens ( 8000 of them). They were in stacked cages in these 2 barns that were 120' long with 2 rows of cages the length of the building. They were stacked 4 high and the droppings fell out from the bottom of each row to the outside onto the walkway. The foreman was named Juan and he came up with this (what I thought) great idea. They had a JD 400 with a snow plow on it. He put an extension on each side of the blade so it would reach under the rows of cages and he would blade the waste onto the walkway which was about 8' wide. He pulled a trailer that he made with hydraulic dump on it. And I would go along with a 7/24 snow blower with a chute extension (that he also made) and blow it into the trailer. There was also fallen feed and feathers but it worked great. We would turn on the exhaust fans because" YES" it was dusty but also for the tractor and snow blower exhaust. He rigged up the chute extension from an old Minneapolis Moline sileage blower, and you could adjust the end of it to change the pitch on the end. It would reach 4' and I could blow it right into the trailer. We could clean the 2 barns in about 2 hours and that included hauling the loads down to the pile and sweeping under the cage supports. So yes jachady, it does work. But, if you were going to move alot of dirt, you may want to put some sort of plastic liner in the chute for rocks and such. Thanks for bringing that up Jim, that is a great memory. Pat

Call the Dirty Jobs guy!! hope you stayed 'up wind' !

specialwheelhorse

6 Wheeler Thanks for telling us how that works. When a gentlman that deals in WH

stuff, I think in Alabama, told me about this it took a while for me to realize how neat this

could really work.Now I Know he wasn't pulling my leg.

Now I got to read thru your post again and really digest it. Thanks !!!

jachady

So, now I have another idea for the snowblower. My plan is to make my own flail mower. My thought is to cut the auger off the main rotating shaft and weld a piece of steel in the chute opening. I'll weld actual flail mower teeth mounts and attach the cutters to them. I would beef it up a bit to take the extra stress of chopping through brush. Picture this built out of a Wheel Horse snowblower.

IMG_2409.jpg

And then heres' a close-up of the teeth,

IMG_2403.jpg

So am I crazy again or should I start taking orders!!

John

tommyg

John, you are too much! I had a grin on my face the entire way through that video. Thanks for sharing!