Sign in to follow this  
anixon92

DECIDING ON WHICH TO BUY ROUND HOOD

anixon92

HELLO

I'm new here and have been reading alot and finding some great info. I been buying and selling case garden tractors, but i'm tried of them and there to big for my yard.

I been looking at the old RJ and early 60's tractors. I been wordering what to look for when checking these older ones out and a rough value on these older ones. For a example i know where theres a 1962 552 with deck with org. tecumseh 5.5 motor in very good condition, runs fine and owner quote me $300. for it to me.

But my concern is if i could fine a snow plow for it and price i would have to pay for something like that in my area. (s. jersey).

I'm open to any info.

thanks

allen

Jake Kuhn

:woohoo: That seems like a decent price if it runs and is all there.You can find the snowblades for it but they arent always for sale.They usually aren't too much around where I live.

Good luck,Jake

chazm

Hello & :D

There are a couple members here from Jersey, They could be a help finding a plow

Good luck

Chaz :woohoo:

Robbie C.

By your description If it was in my area I would have already brought it home, there not many to be found around here :woohoo:

JUSS10

:woohoo:

i usually spend between 200 and 300 for a nice early 60's round hood. i know RJ's can fetch a higher price from what i have seen. if you want a worker, i would stick with the higher clearance round hoods from 61-64. they are very capable and i use mine for regular work around the house every week from mowing to grading to whatever. I plow the driveway with a 854 in the winter. As for plow, we have them for sale all the time here in michigan but i can't speak for NJ. a 552 would be a decent tractor, i have a 654 with a techy in it that i got running pretty good.

as far as what to watch out for, one of the biggest things that seem to be issues for me is steering slop or the lack of proper maintenance over the lifetime of the tractor. there are multiple grease zerks all over the tractor that if not greased parts start to wear. also these machines tend to get "rigged" over time. at one point an owner made a quick fix that wasn't done right. They also tend to loose pieces and parts over time as well such as covers, caps, nuts and bolts.

$300 sounds fair for that machine if its in good running condition

anixon92

here's a pic of it that he send me.

JUSS10

552u.jpg

looks pretty solid. engine might be a replacement? color doesn't match but it could she be the light. as a lot of people will say, these tractors are worth what you are willing to pay. if you really like it, go check it out!

anixon92

how did you get pic up. i try and try

JUSS10

copy the image link then click the IMG button when posting, paste the link, and hit ok :woohoo:

anixon92

ok thanks

rmaynard

Although the picture is small and from only one angle, I think that it look nice. As was stated earlier, the old round hoods in that condition are getting harder and harder to find.

I'd snap it up. :woohoo:

squonk

Being from NJ, you can hop over to PA and find a plow somewhere. Better yet, join us in Arendtsville next June and you will probably find all you need! :woohoo: :D

VinsRJ

Looks like a good deal for $300..... Blades are not that hard to find in the NE.

anixon92

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/552tz.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/5521m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/5523.jpg/

here the one i was checking out. till i talk to seller o phone and i question him about motor not matching paint, he quote the paint faded. to me it looks like it cake off a snowblower.

so i'm still looking.

jcb857

looks nice and :woohoo: you will learn alot from this forum.