nylyon

Talk to me about tillers

nylyon

I'm thinking of enlarging my garden (from a very small patch) to a much larger garden. Of course, I would like to use my Wheel Horses to do the work. I don't anticipate I would use a tiller too much. Couple of questions.

What is the going price for a "usable" tiller for the 400 series?

For those of you that have tillers, how much do you really use them?

Does the WH tiller work better than one which I can rent?

Thanks

Sparky

Sometimes it seems like just you and me eh? Anyway, I just sold (3 weeks ago) a complete 36" tiller and ALL the hardware to hook it up to a tractor like yers for $350. Beware when someone has a tiller for sale without all the mounting apparatus cause theres quite a bit of specialty items that I would think are hard to find. The only thing I didnt have was the drive belt.

I never actually used the tiller so I cant vouch for how well it works but it was HEAVY and heavy duty.

Mike....(way to much stuff)

nylyon

Sometimes it seems like just you and me eh?

Yeah, but I like talking to ya all the same. I guess the tillers need to have a rear lift of some sort and I suspect some pullies to route the belt. Still wondering if they work better than the ole rentals. Have to keep my eyes open for a bargain like I got on the 414.

Sparky

Yep, theres a pivoting rear lift arm that mounts under the fender pan and a lift cable that goes thru a tube under the fender and goes to the center lift(the same one for the mower deck). Theres a chain that hangs off the back and a lift spring to take up some of the weight. Also 2 pulleys that mount on the frame up near the PTO that route the belt under the tractor. I think the initial hookup is time consuming but after that the tiller should be easy to attach and remove. The rear draw bar/hitch needs to be removed to use the tiller.

Mike

marvairplanes

Karl...You asked how valuable a tiller might be.

I have a D-200 Auto with a 48 inch, PTO driven, rear mounted tiller on a three-point hitch.

I am the second owner of the tractor...bought it in '88. Have a 60" deck, but the tiller stays on year round! Other WH tractors (520H) do the mowing, etc.

It is without a doubt the most valuable piece of Wheel Horse equipment I have...except of course the mower decks.

I have over 2 acres of nursery stock that we maintain ENTIRELY with the rototiller.

I have the luxury of making my rows far enough apart so that we can get between any two rows to "cultivate"...Used to use my Ford 8N but now use the roto-tiller exclusively. I would challenge anyone to show me a better kept garden area. We have very few weeds that need to be removed by hand (hoe), and the area always looks good.

I have all sandy loam and can take this guy down to its maximum depth of 8 inches on the first pass in "new" ground. We rarely use any of the bigger equipment for prepaing or cultivating.

Take care,

Marv in NW Oh

nylyon

I am leaning towards getting one, assuming I can get a good deal (hey maybe I can find another 400 series with a tiller this time). I won't be tilling anywhere near 2 acres, my entiry yard is on;y 2.5 acres. I was thinking of a 100' x 100' garden, should be big enough. Thanks for the input.

rick

I have a 36" WH tiller I bought complete with all mounting pieces for $300. Since 1975 (Way before I bought my first Wheel Horse) I have owned a Troy Bilt "Horse", which I am still using. The WH tiller does a good job, but is not as easy to mount as anything else in the selection of attachments I own, save maybe a snow blower with which i have no need of here in South Central VA. My WH tiller does not till as deeply as my TB tiller, maybe because the tines are half worn out. Check the price and you will see why I haven"t replaced them. Tines wear out on a TB tiller as well, but they not close to costing what the WH tines do. Tine wear shows up as sharp ends on tines, when they are sharp enough to draw blood, they are well past worn out. When you replace them, you realize what you have been missing!

Long story short, check the tines on any tiller that you are interested in buying. BTW, 100' x 100' can be easily worked with a TB Horse. I don't use the WH tiller, it's easier to pull the rope on my 7 HP Kohler TB Horse. The downside is no seat time, LOL.

Crap, too late I realized that this was an old thread!!!

Edited by rick
clarification

Chris G

I'm not sure we're exactly you are located. But I'm out toward buffalo ny. And I sold a 36in WH tiller with everything for $325 not to long ago. Also they are up for sale on the CL site quite often. Usually in the price range of $250-$400. And as always some are dreaming for it and others  just want them gone and so on.