Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Winter 07-08 Snow Removal Team

nylyon

Here is the Winter SNOW removal team, almost ready to go...

snow13.JPG

snow14.JPG

The snow blower I got from Mike is mounted on the C-120 with the Hydraulic lift. I hope that the machine makes it through the winter, if not, it will be moved to the 416-H.

Since fixing the lift on the 414-8 earlier in the year, the plow moves sooooo much nicer than before and is easier than lifting the mower deck. I hope that I don't need the Toro 521, but it is ready just in case!

1 year ago, all I had was a rusty old shovel and the Toro snow blower. Last winter the 414-8 with the plow came. Getting older, have to make things easier :D

kj4kicks

Looks like you're ready for old man winter !

Nice herd !

Rollerman

Karl looks like your ready, do you use chains also?

I have a few weeks yet to prepare...I hope & when I do I'll post pics also.

Stephen in northern IN....likeing Karls C120 seat cover :D

nylyon

Hey, that seat cover is Genuine Hefty! They don't come like that from the factory ya know, it's a custom item, I know it doesn't look it. I have an extra one I could sell you :D

Next on my list is to order a set of 2-link chains. I was thinking of getting them from here. That looks like a decent price for 2-link chains, unless someone knows somewhere else?

sorekiwi

Next on my list is to order a set of 2-link chains. I was thinking of getting them from here. That looks like a decent price for 2-link chains, unless someone knows somewhere else?

I bought 2 link chains from Cedar Rapids Tire last week.

www.cedarrapidstire.com

$48.00 plus $12 shipping to Indiana. They were really helpful to get a set to fit an oddball size tire, special ordered them and I had them in 5 days. I'll buy from them again.

Mike

nylyon

I just tried them and for the 23x9.50-12 chains, they are about $2 higher shipped to NY, but thank you for the link!

WheelHorse_of_course

I bought my 69 Charger 12 a year ago last August with snow plowing on my mind. It was my main justification to my wife.

It had a knock and I knew the engine would need work "eventually".

For just over $200 I got the Charger and the Plow. The plow is not quite right for it, so I had to remove the angle lever and get off the tractor to change the angle (not too inconvenient). The previous winter I got sciatica shoveling snow. Our driveway is short, but we are on a corner and I insist on keeping the sidewalks clear for pedestrians. Since I got the plow I now clear the rest of the block in either direction as a public service!

Then last winter I got a snow blower attachment for under $50. However one of the differences between the Charger and a C120 is the fact that the front hitch is optional on the older tractors, and changed in the early 70. So finding and installing one (or modifying a newer one) was to be this summer's project.

However old man winter intervened. We had a 3 day snow storm this spring, ending on easter. I slept in for the holiday and then guests arrived so I did not get to plow on Easter till late afternoon. Got my driveway and sidewalk done and then the block to the West. I then headed in the other direction. Some idiot plow service(s) illegally plowed their customers driveways by pushing snow across the street onto the public park property across the street, thereby completely blocking the sidewalk. While ramming this pile I threw a rod.

I found a replacement engine (the correct 1969 complete with its odd electronic ignition) on ebay in June but did not expect to be able to pick it up till July. So I talked myself into buying a 1964 854 and a mower deck to keep the lawn mowed. For one thing I did not want to go back to mowing by hand, but also to get something smaller and with a manual transmission so I could teach the neighbor kids just like I was taught. I have found that the plow fits this tractor properly with the angle lever installed.

Getting this tractor and finding and modifying a mounting for it took some summer time. And for various reasons I was not able to pick up the engine for the Charger till September!

So, now my priority is to get the engine installed and get the mount installed so the Charger will be ready for winter. Last weekend I got the carb and starter moved over to the replacement engine and got all the mounting bolts off. Next I need to pull the belt guard off so I can get the belt out of the way. I have had it off before, but this is an area where the C-120 was better designed. On the Charger it is a big complicated, but it won't stop me.

In the early summer, when I though I would only have the one tractor, I also removed the dashboard so I could replace it with the never style (sick and tired of the throttle slipping) and also started to add a instrument cluster with volt, amp and hour meters. SO I'll need to finish that to get it back together. Once I get that far I'll run it to be sure the new engine is ok and then transfer the PTO clutch from the old engine to the new and also mount the front mount for the blower.

All that and I have to clean up leaves!

With the plow mounted on the 854 and the blower on the Charger I should be in good shape this year, but we'll see.

T-Mo

All this talk of winter and winter crew and the fact that Tuesday night here it was 18 degrees makes me cringe. :D

Karl,

Nice looking crew.

Wheel Horse of Course,

I wish my wife would listen to my justification for getting a blade for one of my WH's. Oh, well, I guess a good snow storm might convince her. :P

Curmudgeon

Ya know.........

I thought putting the third snowthrower on a tractor.

And the two front blades on some.

Maybe even the rear blade on another.

To take a picture like that.......

Then I thought:

"Yeah right, TOO MUCH WORK!!!!"

Dale, waiting for time to go to work in Michigan................

nylyon

That's the beauty of having only 3 tractors. I can switch things around, in minutes. You guys with more tractors, taking a family shot can take weeks :D

perry

thanks for the reminder. i still need to get the rear axle seals and some welding done in the B-100 , get all the extra sets of tires & chains out, get plow on the cub cadet, plow on the landlord, plow on the 877, & and then plow on the B100.

now if someone wants to drop me off a couple of snow cabs ill be set :D .

Curmudgeon

That's the beauty of having only 3 tractors. I can switch things around, in minutes. You guys with more tractors, taking a family shot can take weeks :D

One of the original huge draws to Wheel Horse for me was the easy change from one attachment to another. Only need ONE tractor, ONE engine to maintain, space for ONE.

What happened???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dale, :P

CasualObserver

Hah... now it's one blade, one snow thrower, one mower for EACH tractor!! :D

kpinnc

I just want one seperate implement (other than a mower deck) for each one! It only snows maybe once or twice a year here, so I don't need a snow thrower.

I'm with you Dale. I don't know how I got here.

42' Plow on the 867

36' tiller on the 310-8

Cultivator on the 551

Dual gang disk on the Charger

10' moldboard on the 701

48' deck on the Bronco

That leaves 3 decks, and another long frame 42' plow....

Krap! I' a couple tractors short! :D Maybe I do know how I got here!

The wife is not gonna like this...

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Even with 11 tractors, the attachments vastly outnumber them!!!!!

Dale, :D

kj4kicks

Hey Dale, I'll volunteer to help haul off some of the excess attachments!

Eldon.

CasualObserver

Kevin, you have a TDH??? :D Can you post a picture of it. I've never actually seen one.

(in case there's any confusion...that's "Tandem Disc Harrow" a.k.a. TDH-163 in my attachments catalogs)

kpinnc

Yeah, I've got one. Unfortunately, it's not what you think. Brinly manufactured a "TDH" in the form of model DD-1000. It was a setup designed for category 0, three point hitch systems. There are scattered pics of the thing on the web, but this is one of the best I've seen:

aaj1.jpg

aag1.jpg

This one is not mine. How I wish it was! :D I saw one go for about $500 on Ebay, and it was a rust bucket.

Mine is pretty much identical to this one, at least as close as I can get it. I had two of the Brinly single gang setups that bolted together to make a dual gang, but it was so long my tractor wouldn't lift it.

I'm still working on the three point hitch...

CasualObserver

Cool... thanks... I forgot Brinly made one too...

WheelHorse_of_course

Treed,

Welllll, I didn't tell her must "justification" until *after* winning the auction.

That said, she had been pushing for years to sign up for a plow service and I had talked her out of it. Last winter she admitted that the tractor had paid for itself (of course since then I bought another!

As long as I stick to the old cheep stuff she has been ok, though space is now becoming a concern.

I paid $138 for the charger with mower (plus this summer another $65 for the replacement engine)

I paid $150 for the 854 plus $100 for a nearly mint mower for it.

Of course there have been numerous incidental expesnes such as hitches, parts, etc.

She know's I love my little red tractors and that for a mid-life crisis I am doing ok! SHe's also seen how well, it works to get the neihbor kids to help me with the yard work!

Rolf

T-Mo

Rolf,

As for as hobbies go, this is relatively inexpensive, though it can get a little expensive.

Rollerman

I thought I'd add some pics in this thread too.

The C 160 I used last winter along with a B100 to plow.....the snowblower & cab worked good...but seemed a bit tight for me to get in & made the tractor feel bigger,less manuverable too.

The C125 is my Wapak swapmeet tractor...just painted up & put the plow on today.

The other is a pic of the former owner of the Pond Senior I had for a bit.

The guy I bought it from had it for many years & had a snow blower on it & a newer 48" attach a matic deck.

IM000822.jpg

1112071732.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Hope everyone likes the pics.

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

Now the cab, that's styling. If all works out this year with the snow removal equipment, a cab will be on the shopping list. Does it keep you warm in there, do the windows fog up easily?

Rollerman

It keeps the wind& snow spray off you, thats about it.

The down sides...hard to get in, noisy in there, restricted movement, can't see & yes the windows will fog....got to watch the exhaust fumes too.

I have received a trade offer for the cab recentley & probably will tkae it.

If you have a long drive or real winter weather & use a blower it would be great to have.

The snow blower to me is a last resort, plowing works better for me in my small area I plow.

Stephen in northern IN

CasualObserver

Stephen, that action shot on the Senior is awsome... looks like a candidate for Terry's next calendar project!! thumbsup.gif