scv85

Clunk From Rear

scv85

So I've been noticing a clunk from what seem like the trans or the rear. It only happens when I start to engage forward or reverse from a stand still. It does not happen all of the time, but it does concern me. Any ideas???

wallfish

Maybe a sheared or wobbled key on one of the axels ??????

oldredrider

Check to make sure your axles are still tight. A friend had the same problem on his GT-14 and found one of the axles had come loose inside. Good luck

scv85

I will get it up this week and see if there is any play. Where were his axles actually loose, internally or were the hubs just loose on the axles?

oldredrider

Internally :woohoo:

scv85

I put the rear up in the air, the axles have some in and out play both sides but no up and down play. I would assume the axle seals would be leaking if there were up and down play. Is this in and out play normal? I could not duplicate the clunk by turning the tires, only intermittently when going forward or reverse from a stop.

oldredrider

A "small" amount of play in and out is normal. I would check both hubs and make sure they are both tight. Possibly (but not very likely) could be a loose pulley on the pump. Another possibility is a pinion gear (or two) is getting ready to head south.

scv85

I measured the play to be about 1/8" either side. I checked the hubs, tight. I checked the pump pulley although I would believe this to be engine speed related if there were an issue, tight. I think you are correct with pinion gear or something, but either way it is looking like I am going to have to open this up. Think I should run it until failure and find a new unit or is this easily repaired... I have never taken a trans apart on one of these.

can whlvr

if you can afford to get a spare tranny then you can put it in the tractor and open up the original one and fix it at your leisure,and they really arnt too hard to repair,get the manual and read lots of posts here,steveasarus has a video of putting one back together and i think you would find that very handy,but if you dont have the cash to get a spare then i would read up alot before tear down,the hardest thing can be getting the hubs off,i had to make a special puller to do this but it can be done,if you tear it down i would do all new seals,they arnt expensive and thats the time to do it

WheelHorse_of_course

With the wheels up in the air, if you hold one wheel and try to rotate the other (first in one direction then the other do you feel play.

Just because the hubs bolts are tight does not disprove the possibility of play there which is quite common.

good luck

:D :woohoo:

scv85

I was able to duplicate the sound with the parking brake engaged, on the ground, moving either tire very hard forward and reverse. It definitely sounded out towards the wheels more so I quit being lazy and physically checked the hubs. I loosened the locknut and was able to get another full turn out of each bolt. I then tried it on the driveway, forward and reverse and to my surprise, no noise!!! I'm so glad it was nice and simple. Sometimes I'll think the worst and overlook the small things. Thanks for everyones help and thank you wheelhorse of course.