Sign in to follow this  
kadetklapp

Bought a Horse tonight! 1984 WorkHorse 1800

kadetklapp

Spark is inconsistant. We fried the coil installing a new solenoid. Completely my fault. Not paying attention and grounded the wrong wire. The coil didn't look to be in great shape anyway. So I install a new coil, and no spark. Reset the air gap, still no spark. Fiddle around with the ground wire, suddenly spark. Then no spark. Push on the brake pedal, suddenly spark. Kind of dumb. Initially, when I installed the new coil, I got the engine to fire for about three seconds. Then it died. I'm getting fuel into the carb, as it's wet in there. The plugs seemed to be gapped properly and are a little dirty, but not corroded or damaged. It just will not fire for some reason.

kadetklapp

It lives!

Now I just have to deal with the front tires pointing in two different directions.....

SAM58

:thumbs2:

truckin88

When it comes to this 1980s series of GT tractors, are tie-rods the same across the board? I'm an EBay addict, I will admit, and I'm finding some "deals" on Wheel Horse tie rods for around $40 new. However, it seems most of the part numbers are Toro PNs, which I'm not sure how to cross-reference with an early 80s WorkHorse 1800.

Also, is there a model break-down of the WorkHorse line by model number?

tie rods are the same, you can buy oem new, stens makes replacements, used, or make your own. I prefer the adjustable to make a better alignment.

Wow you stole that, I am pretty sure that it is an eaton 11 tranny, you should drain, new hydro filter and 10W-30. Great machine and good luck. I would put it dead on equvilant to a 417-A or a 416-H, not a 520...but a great machine, you will love plowing with a hydro. I am a bigger supporter of 8 spds, but still would like a hydro in my possession.

kadetklapp

Serviced the trans first thing with a Napa filter and some fresh 10w30. The thing mows nicely, but the engine is terribly down on power. I've tried tweeking it but it's just wore out. I'm thinking a new motor is in order. Going to probably get a ChiCom diesel to drop in.

Hopefully pick up a plow this fall, but with the way this engine is running, I'm doubting that it will push snow very well at all.

HorseFixer

:banghead: :thumbs2:

mavfreak

Hopefully pick up a plow this fall, but with the way this engine is running, I'm doubting that it will push snow very well at all.

I would start looking for a plow now just cause with me I never seam to find what I want when I want/need it.

Good to see you got it running :thumbs2:

kadetklapp

There are a couple on craigslist near me, but I just bought a truck this week (unexpected) and so I'm out until a couple more months. Hopefully I get lucky, because the main reason I bought the tractor was I could plow with it.

kadetklapp

Well, I found the source of the power-robbing!

IMAG0886.jpg

Whoops!

Looks like we'll be tearing the motor down next week. This sucks because I already need to mow!

We had tons of compression in the back cylinder, but the front had ZERO. Looks like the previous owner had someone do some valve work and they did a poor job. The head bolts were hardly tight, as if they never bothered to retorque them. Not sure if that's what caused the exhaust valve to unseat or what.

kadetklapp

Turns out motor is completely shot and has to be rebuilt. Not able to do that. I guess it's time to get rid of it.

AMC RULES

If you do decide to let it go, you should do well listing it in the classified section here on the forum. :twocents-twocents:

kadetklapp

Well, hopefully a new exhaust valve will fix 'er up. Anyway, if so, we'll be in business. I also seem to have found some front axle parts I need on parts tree.

WH854

Well, I found the source of the power-robbing!

IMAG0886.jpg

Whoops!

Looks like we'll be tearing the motor down next week. This sucks because I already need to mow!

We had tons of compression in the back cylinder, but the front had ZERO. Looks like the previous owner had someone do some valve work and they did a poor job. The head bolts were hardly tight, as if they never bothered to retorque them. Not sure if that's what caused the exhaust valve to unseat or what.

Don't give up on her mate! You could be in for a supprise :thumbs:

Chas

jusjeepn

Where are you in Indiana? I may have some of the parts you need or might even be able to work a trade on a running unit! PM me!