mattd860

C-161 Automatic

mattd860

I'm thinking about getting a 1978 C-161 Hydro. It needs a lot of body work but according to the seller, everything works great. I haven't seen the tractor in person yet since the seller is 2.5hrs away but I have been looking for a good deal on a C-161 Hydro NON-black hood for a long time. This C-161 comes with a deck and snow blower which I will immediately sell to offset the cost of the tractor. I will also be selling my C-81 with rebuilt 12hp K301 transplant.

I have few questions before I buy it though. The body of the tractor looks really beat but to me it looks restoreable. Based on the pictures, it has some deeply pitted rust so what can I do to fill in the pits? I've tried high build primer in the past but never had success however, maybe I just didn't apply enough coats or something. I just want to make sure I can restore the body of this tractor to look nice and smooth again and I really don't want to replace parts since I am on a budget.

Let me know what you all think. The seller wants $750 for the tractor, deck, single stage snowblower that's in much better condition than the tractor, weights, and chains. Or course I'm going to deal on the price first but I don't want to end up with something that will never look good again without paying a professional.

101_5279.jpg

101_5278.jpg

HorseFixer

Matt, IMHO $750.00 is a bit high for the condition of the machine. :D I think you can bring her back but the main thing is ck that it's mechanically sound. :ROTF: As you mentioned try and get the guy down a couple hundred. :woohoo: Good Luck!

Cheers ~Duke

:D

mattd860

Matt, IMHO $750.00 is a bit high for the condition of the machine. :D I think you can bring her back but the main thing is ck that it's mechanically sound. :ROTF: As you mentioned try and get the guy down a couple hundred. :woohoo: Good Luck!

Cheers ~Duke

:D

You think the price is high even with the snowblower and deck attachments?

Dockfishin

The price seems quite high for condition to me. He'd have to do some major dropping to get me to drive 2.5 hours for it. just my opinion though :D but only you can factor how bad you want this model tractor you've been looking a long time for :woohoo: Either way good luck

shootinok

Seams high to me too.

Why sell the c-81? are you looking for more HP?

I'd take the 12hp K301 over that 16hp personally.

The blower is definately worth a few bucks - I dunno :woohoo:

mavfreak

It looks like the engine has been replaced, just cause its gray. I'm not real sure the price is to high but in my area a tractor with a blower and deck would be close to that. See if he'll deal any on it and go from there. As far as body work it looks like is all there and a good E-tank would really help, but fixable in my eyes

mattd860

I like the C-161 because I don't think there were many non-black hood models made from 1978 to 1979. I have also been wanting a hydro really badly since all I ever do with my wheel horse is plow, snowblow, or tote the kids around. It's between a C-161 or a 520h and honestly, I like the looks of the old C series much better. In addition I like the simplicity of the old school wheel horses (i.e. no crazy electronics).

I have a 418-8 that will be the grunt tractor with the plow. I would like to use the C-161 for snowblowing and pulling the kids around.

I guess the most important reason to get a hydro for me is a bad rotator cuff in my left shoulder....

Kelly

Price I would say around me is top dollar, try to beat them up a bit on that, as for the sheet metal, from here looks ruff, I've fixed worse but you say you used high build primer, was it sprayed with a paint gun, or rattle can? you will never fill pits with rattle can stuff, best bet if you can't get a better hood and fenders is to blast it clean then use a lite coat of bondo to fill them then use high build primer to smooth it all out, but I will tell you a good hood/fenders will save a ton of work.

On a side note I've found the C-xx1 series tractors have a tendency to rust bad in the bottom of the dash tower, hard to see till you pull the side covers.

stevebo

Body work wise I would use a lightweight filler (kind used to fill scratches etc. If they are deeper then you will need a fibrated filler. They are a harder model to find so go with what you are comfortable with. I would think the deck should get a quick clean up and paint then you should get about $200 for it and the snowblower is a $150 bill in the fall or $75 -$100 now. Good luck-

Woodsman

I recently sold a very similar set-up for $400. That was for the 16hp tractor, 42" deck, & blower & chains.

mattd860

I recently sold a very similar set-up for $400. That was for the 16hp tractor, 42" deck, & blower & chains.

Was it a hydro? Imp hydros are worth more $$$the but I know its a matter of personal preference.

I was going to say - if it's a rusty one to look at the base of the hood stand to see if there are any cracks where it bolts up. A cracked hood stand doesn't hold the mechanical clutch in place very well, among other things. I see this a lot on the C-**0 models, but the C-**1's have a much stronger looking dash tower - I doubt it's an issue here. I guess I posted before I looked close enough at the pic's.

mattd860

Well the seller called and said another buyer wants it for full price so I said let him have

it but if the other guy pass to call me back. Im kinda bumbed because I really wanted a c-161 non black hood. Maybe it was meant to be but im hoping the seller may be bluffing.

caymanpsa

I have a c-161 auto. My dad left it to me. I have plow blade, 2 - 48 inch decks, I had bought a second deck to be perfect for the restore I was going to do, that never happened.  I have garden plow as well. Not sure what it is worth as a package. Just throwing it out there. Would love to see restored. The tractor and garden plow have been used to handle my garden for last 10 years

psa@caymantech.com

Patrick. 

daveys82

I have a  C-161 Automatic, hydro with, dump wagon, garden plow, and snow plow. grandfather left it to me. I used it about 4 or 5 years until I had fuel problems. had to shoot a lil starting fluid in carb to get running. then it sat for a few years. I pushed it in the garage the other day to mess with it. a lot of things were rusted and seized up. after a few days got most everything freed up. only way I could get it to turn over was to jump the starter. sprayed a lil fluid in carb and sound like it was going to fire up, but didn't. I don't really know much about these things. would really like to get it going again, but not sure how or what it would cost in the long run. maybe if I could do it myself I would, but also thought about putting everything up for sale. guess I am just looking for advice on what to do. any suggestions ?  thanks. Dave