nylyon

How to remove a mower deck

T-Mo

Nice documentation, Karl. I haven't even attempted to remove a deck off either the C-141 or the 314-8. Question, and pardon the stupidity here as I don't have the tractor in front of me (I'm at work) where's the button you refer to in the "Third" step?

• Like 2

nylyon

where's the button you refer to in the "Third" step?

The button is well hidden by my fat thumb! Actually I was holding the button in with my thumb, not sure why I did that since this really isn't an action shot :D

Curmudgeon

I'll add one step to make removal easier.

Lower deck to lowest mowing position. It'll slide out from under the tractor easier.

Lest we not forget, total time to all those steps, about a minute, minute and a half if you take you time. Slightly more going on. Same with snowthrower and many other attachments. You GOTTA this about Wheel Horses!!

Dale

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

Karl, what is that thing attached to the front of the mule drive? I have several mule drives and none of em have anything attached to the front of em.

Mike.......

nylyon

That's for the genuine John Deere dethacher, which can be barely seen in the upper right:

IM000047.JPG

I was originally going to get another mule drive, but that mounting bracket makes for a good brush guard :D

linen beige

Here's another tip to make sliding a deck out the side easier. I use two peices of tempered hardboard, about 1 eigth inch thick. One is cut just larger than the deck and the other is cut to that size width but twice the length. Lay the long one on the ground slick side up. Place the shorter one slick side down under the deck. drop the deck onto the hardboard and you can push it sideways with very little effort. Oh! I do almost all my mowing with a ten year old Craftsman (Kohler powered of course). It takes reaching up under the thing Sears calls a tractor to pull SEVEN keepers, and dislodge SIX levers to drop it off. And it always need adjusting when remounted.

BOWTIE

HELLO, I ALWAYS FOUND IT EASIER ON SMOOTH CONCRETE OR BLACKTOP. IF YOU DON'T MIND WET KNEES WET THE CONCRETE OR BLACKTOP.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

1975 B80 36" SIDE

1982 SK486 42" SIDE

1988 520H 48" SIDE

1994 314-8 42" SIDE

1999 314-8 42" SIDE

6wheeler

I use my floor jack and raise the tractor from the rear. (after the deck is disconnected) Then I can slide it out from either side. When doing that, I can set it on an old creeper and roll it out. (on concrete or blacktop of course) The neighbor down the road has a 416h and says he can remove or install a deck faster than anyone. I think I'll let him show me that on my 165 this spring :techie-eureka:

Tom J

Manual also suggests turning the tires away from the removal side. This gives 1-2" more sliding clearance.

(It only took me 8 years to finally look at a manual online and dicover this simple step.. Now it takes 2 minutes, not three, to remove it...nice design!)

• Like 1

jabadamutt

Just pulled the deck on my B80 for the first time. Used the method as described above and was a piece of cake. Thanks for your post!

tomfame

Thank you Nylon (whoever you are).

I should have bought a wheel Horse snow plow when I first bought my tractor in 1993. As it is I had to find one online, and was lucky enough that someone had a brand new one in storage. Taking off the mower deck, and putting on the plow was "Wheel Horse" easy. Much thanks again for the posting.

Tom F

Salem Virginia.

Whmaverick

I don't have any better suggestions, it just don't get any easier than that. Thanks for the pics. I'm sure it will help someone.

Tankman

Leave the deck on the Horse! Then get additional Stallions for other chores; i.e.: one for snow, another for plowing the earth, one more for grading the drives, a puller for your WH cart, one hydro for the grandchildren, another for township parades.

Makes sense to me, I think. :think:

• Like 3

Crawdad

I prefer to mount and unmount the deck by having it on the lowest cut setting and driving directly over it.

I've never had a problem with that, but it was scary the first time I did.

Tom kite

Trying to find pic or video how to install a plow on a wheel horse 520h can't fine anything on this

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Delhiski

Having problems. Rod for PTO will not drop down far enough. So I needed to take top bracket off to get rid out and remove belt?   Next item, is there a truck to remove belt?  I can not get it out of pulley area as it is twisted and to tight to pull through. What is the trick?  I reserved forcing through as I am not sure it will go back on?  See pics.  I appreciate any help I can get. First time pulling off the deck. 

20171008_115737.jpg

20171008_115737.jpg

20171008_114353.jpg

20171008_114359.jpg

Zeke98

Will the bracket that covers the pulleys come off?

Delhiski
22 minutes ago, Zeke98 said:

Will the bracket that covers the pulleys come off?

Yes. I can remove bracket. I just thought with as slick as the removal "without tools" I was just doing something wrong and there is a simple method.  

Zeke98

The few times I've removed the deck, I've had to use tools.

tunahead72

@Delhiski and @Zeke98 ...

Assuming we're talking about tractors with the Attach-a-Matic hitch system, you don't need to remove the mule drive cover or the mower drive belt to remove the deck.  Just loosening the belt will give it enough slack to allow you to remove the belt from the pulley on the deck itself.  Absolutely no tools necessary.

Check out the first post in this thread again.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KAA 1973
On 10/8/2017 at 1:06 PM, Delhiski said:

Having problems. Rod for PTO will not drop down far enough. So I needed to take top bracket off to get rid out and remove belt?   Next item, is there a truck to remove belt?  I can not get it out of pulley area as it is twisted and to tight to pull through. What is the trick?  I reserved forcing through as I am not sure it will go back on?  See pics.  I appreciate any help I can get. First time pulling off the deck. 

20171008_115737.jpg

20171008_115737.jpg

20171008_114353.jpg

20171008_114359.jpg

Had to revive this thread, I also have to use tools to remove the mower belt from the PTO of my 312-8.

Trying to figure out why I can't remove the rod, when I remove the hair pin I can drop the rod down but it hits

the top of the PTO pulley, just like in the picture above. If I lift the rod it hits the bottom of the PTO pulley before it will come out of the hole.

What's the secret to removing the belt without unbolting the bracket?

Pullstart
On 1/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, KAA 1973 said:

Had to revive this thread, I also have to use tools to remove the mower belt from the PTO of my 312-8.

Trying to figure out why I can't remove the rod, when I remove the hair pin I can drop the rod down but it hits

the top of the PTO pulley, just like in the picture above. If I lift the rod it hits the bottom of the PTO pulley before it will come out of the hole.

What's the secret to removing the belt without unbolting the bracket?

I have had a few different tractors like this and just came to the realization that it’s only once in a while.  As mentioned slightly jokingly, just get another machine(s) to carry out other chores :handgestures-thumbupright:

27185B6A-C0B9-4A68-A5B4-03F423979A1F.jpeg

Jeff-C175
On 5/1/2008 at 12:41 PM, linen beige said:

use two peices of tempered hardboard,

Since this got drug up from the basement vault, and nobody mentioned it...

I always keep big pieces of corrugated cardboard like you might get if you bought a new washer or water heater around the shop to lay on when I need to work on my back.  I use these to make removing the deck easier as above with the hardboard.

Put one large piece on the ground and drive over it.

Put a smaller piece that fits between the tires but is big enough for the deck to sit on underneath the deck.  The whole thing slides so nice, right out from under.  No more dragging the rollers or wheels sideways.

Edited by Jeff-C175