Sign in to follow this  
james

wheel horse 401, 551, 702 attachment mounts

james

this is actually a few questions. First off, what tractors are compatible with the 401? 551, 702? i know engines will be different but attachments i'm talking about.

second, I know that some attachments required tach a matic systems or whatever they're called. I'm interested in a grader blade and things to mount to the front. what tach a matic system would work on a 401 and comparable models?

thanks guys, I know if you guys read this, someone will be able to answer!

CasualObserver

You listed three completely different tractors there.... the 401 has a completely different build than the 551, both in the frame and transmission, and both the 401 and 551 are nothing like the 702. But if your looking for accessory interchange, I would say essentially "most" front engine short frame tractors from the 60s are "compatible." (701-Commando 8)

If you're wanting to put a grader on the 401, you're going to have to build one. The tractor sits too low for the factory mid mount grader to fit. Besides, there is no "tach a matic" system for the mid engine models (RJ, 400, 401, 550, 551). The system that the 701-753 models used was like the "tach a matic" but they were just plates with holes you bolt to the side of the tractor. There was no swinging latch. Look at the parts drawing for the AC-67 cultivator to see what I mean, or in the gallery, you can kind of see them on some tractors like the 653 and 753 examples. The mid hitch with the swinging quick attach latch system came out in 1964 and was called the MA-1 Speed Hitch.

james

interesting...I looked at the frame today and there are holes in the sides of the frame for what looks like mounting something giving me the idea there might be something to mount on this. I can make one easily i'm sure other than the shape of the grader blade. there is also a hole in the front of the lift handle bottom tab...what's that for? snow plow maybe? i do have a snow plow for my tractor, it's a sears blade i picked up for a hundred bucks. I also got a front brush guard from god only knows what (maybe an atv) for 10 bucks and i picked up te brinly plow for 40 bucks the other day. how would you mount a front mounted sickle mower for this tractor then? i'm almost positive i've read you could get them for this tractor? am i wrong?

thanks for your response

james

i looked at toro and it seems that 401 and 551 implements work on both. at least 61/62. I'd imagine other years as well. as long as it has the same frame and mounts, it should work. I'm going to make mounts for implements as i find them or see mounts for cheap off other wh tractors.