Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Started to put away the summer machines

nylyon

Well today I began the annual winterizing of the power equipment. Cleaned, removed the gas, put oil in the cyl. on the push mower and chipper then put them away in a corner of the shed for next year. I cut the grass for what will probably be the last time this year, then the mower deck comes off and the plow on the 414-8, but that will be for another day.

T-Mo

I used my 2 Lawn Boy push mowers for the last time couple of weeks ago to use up all the fuel that was in them. I also used both weed eaters to be sure they were dry of fuel. I also put Stabil in all my lawn tractors and ran them for about 5-10 minutes. That way they should be good if I don't used them anymore until spring.

kj4kicks

Here's a tip from the old-school car guys:

When you get ready to store anything long-term that has a METAL fuel tank, it is better to fill it all the way to the top. That way there is no air inside to allow condensation to form. We all know what that does to metal!

I do that with my car. My WH's run year-round.

Eldon.

T-Mo

I try fill even my plastic fuel tanks as any unused space inside the tank may mean condensation which translates to water in the gas. And that's excellent advice for the metal tanks particularly.

Rollerman

I don't winterize tractors, I do add stabil or seafoam & run them on occasion just to wake up the mice or try & use them for jobs around the yard.

Eldon just curious about your metal tank tip....how does the condensation react in an aluminium tank?

Just curious & like to know...I winterised the boat but couldn't bring myself to add 75 gallons of gas to store it.

Stephen in northern IN....thinking I need to be winterized....in the Caribbean

kj4kicks

Aluminum still corrodes, but not as fast as steel rusts.

If nothing else, add a few bottles of "Dry-Gas" (alcohol) to whatever fuel is in it to keep the moisture down.

Moving to the tropics is also an excellent idea!

Eldon.

nylyon

Everything I have has a plastic tank. I totally agree with the steel tanks, have seen many rusted from the inside out. For me, with the plastic, I much prefer to remove all the gas, there isn't much condensation in a quart sized tank anyway. The 416 will get some stabil as well as seafoam, then I'll close the tank valve and run the carb dry, and keep it on stand-by in case the blower tractor (C-120) or the plowing tractor (414) need help this year.