Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

CarFax

nylyon

The Durango goes on the 26th of this month. I sure will miss the DVD player, BlueTooth phone adapter, built in GPS, adjustable everything, Big ole Hemi, the heated leather seats, chrome wheels and all but it was a lease and we need a better tow vehicle.

So that F350 looks to be in pretty good shape, I can't really find any problems with it in the pictures.

Nick

Karl, You will have to look at the seats they could be heated like your Dodge. My brothers 2000 Lariat F350 has leather heated seats. :whistle: I notice that above the powerstroke badge it says B&A diesel performance. Could have some performance changes. :WRS:

KyBlue

thats a pretty good lookin truck! those Stripes are probably hand painted, but since most stripers use something Similar to 1Shot, it shouldnt be all that hard to remove - a good buffing will remove the last traces of fading. The beauty of clearcoat!

Good luck in your Search Karl!

nylyon

Went to see the truck today. It is sitting at an auction house and the security folks wouldn't let my wife in, just me. :WRS: Anyway, it was way, way, way in the back so far that we had to drive to go and see it. When we got there, one thing is certain, it is much better looking in person than in the pictures. Beautiful truck, not a scratch on it. Seats look like a maintained 8-year old truck, but no holes. So I started it up, vrooom... fires right up, little bit of blue smoke, after all it is a diesel, but idles beautifully. Smoke clears up, perfectly running PSD Turbo. I think that it has an exhaust brake as well.

Now for the bad part. When I look at a vehicle, I press every button there is. First noticed that the overhead computer console is not working. No big deal, I understand this is the case with these and a replacement is like $125. But the major issue and the one which will stop me from buying this truck is, when I pressed the O/D button, the O/D light started to flash. As a note, unless it's the directional signal, no flashing lights on a car are good. This truck was used for pulling, it has a modified 7.3L PSD and I suspect the transmission caused it to be sold. The guy who has it told me that he guarantees that the transmission is good, but I was never much of a gambler, so we're going to pass on this one. :whistle:

T-Mo

Sounds like a good call, Karl. Transmissions are always the weak spot in the diesel trucks, regardless of brand.

Chip Chester

Karl,

It's not clear from your post if you were actually moving when you engaged OD. Is it possible OD won't engage unless you're underway, and possibly unless you're travelling above a certain speed or gear selection? I've not driven one of those, but I recall some OD units engage conditionally. Maybe the manual is online. Of course, if you've been thru all this already, I'll be quiet and re-lurk...

Chip

nylyon

The truck was parked and with the electronics pressing the button would have kept the transmission from going into O/D, no mechanical actions should have taken place. From what I am reading it could be anything from a sensor replacement upto the transmission.

Certainly this is something which can be repaired, but I need a truck with no major issues as it will need to begin towing as soon as possible.

T-Mo

The way I see it is that as fuel prices go up, more and more pristine diesel trucks that never seen anything heavier than a loaf of bread will be flooding the market. So, Karl, I think not buying this truck with possible problems was a good call. Just my opinion, of course, but.... :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Hmmm, modified 7.3L? Just like the reliability parts of the engine, the driveline was never designed for the added power either..........

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that showed signs of being modified.

OOPS!!!!!! That means I can't even buy my own pick-up! LOL

TT

Good call, Karl. That flashing "O/D off" light is the equivalent to the "Check Engine" light coming on for an engine malfunction.

It can be something as minor as a corroded connector, to a solenoid or computer malfunction. :D

The best bet in that case is to "plug it in" to a diagnostic scanner and see what code comes up. (my Explorer never showed a code for the wire corrosion, but the last code was "incorrect ratio - fourth gear" :whistle: It now has a new main computer courtesy of a service bulletin issued by Ford. :WRS: )

nylyon

Ya know, I didn't even think to bring my OBDII scanner with me. In any event for that $$ on that year, there shouldn't have been any light. I'm looking into this one next.

1210787780.jpg

DMESS

Ya know, I didn't even think to bring my OBDII scanner with me. In any event for that $$ on that year, there shouldn't have been any light. I'm looking into this one next.

1210787780.jpg

See Karl, your turning up clean looking trucks left and right! This SRW looks to be about an 03-04'. These are the "caution" years for a 6.0, although it may still be a 7.3 if it is an 03'. Keep in mind you'll most likely need a sliding hitch with a short bed once you switch to the 5'er.

Okay, I found the link. :whistle: This looks like a VERY nice truck and I see it is a legitimate dealer. When you look at it ask (demand) to see the OASIS report. This will show you everything that has been done to this truck by any Ford dealer/technician.

Looks like it may have a brake controller added already which is a small bonus. I see thay have some other nice looking trucks there as well. Drive a few while you're there and compare. :WRS:

nylyon

It is an 04, but this one doesn't appear to have the "modifications" done to it. It is from a dealer so at least I have a recourse should something be seriously bad. I am number 2 in line, but can't see this until Saturday. It's an F-250 so it's not going to pull the big fiver, but it should get us by for a bit.

Curmudgeon

Hey Karl, maybe you should look out of state. The rumor I heard is, Michigan dealers don't want any more of the those things on trade. The lots are already overloaded with them!!!

Nick

Looks like the rating for a 2004 F-250 is 12K and 12,700 for the F-350. Thats on page 17 of this Towing Guide. .

I know all of the diesel people will groan with this but :WRS: if there is any chance you will buy a truck just to get by with until the perfect truck comes along then you might look into the Ford V-10 trucks with 4.30 gears. I will concede to the diesels a longer engine life, resale value and mileage but the V-10 is a nice engine that will get the job done when comparing stock trucks. Guess Ill go work on the trailer and hide now :D :whistle:

Jim_M

Karl,

If you decide to look out of state consider Texas. There's at least one diesel pickup in every driveway down there.

In 1999 I bought a one owner 96 GMC diesel, ext. cab, long bed, 3/4 ton 4 x 4 with 73,000 miles in Waco for $7000.00. I found it on Autotrader.com

It was a good truck, needed tires, but other than that no problems. The guy couldn't get rid of it, everybody already had one.

I bought a one way ticket to Dallas and he met me at the airport with it with the guarantee that if I didn't like it, he would buy my ticket home. I sold it in 2006 when I bought my Dodge diesel and got just about all of my money back out of it.

The truck had a full tank when I picked it up, I drove from Dallas to Fort Wayne, Indiana and it cost me $67.00 for fuel. Ahh, those were the good old days.

Jim

nylyon

At this point, the furthest I would consider is PA. Saturday I will look at that 05 F-250 in CT. Hopefully I will be able to do a little better on the cost, but I feel better buying from a dealer. When I bought my wifes Jeep, I paid about $1000 more than I would have if bought private, but before I would take delivery I had them fix MANY things which parts and labot far exceeded $1000.

There is an 06 here in town which I am going to try and test drive today, it is more than I want to spend, but it has 12K miles on it, so test driving should tell me what these are supposed to feel like.

Jim_M

Like others have said, with the high price of fuel, there will be a lot of nice ones for sale, you probably won't have to travel that far to find one.

It wasn't that way in 99, everything I found locally was either worn out or overpriced.

DMESS

At this point, the furthest I would consider is PA. Saturday I will look at that 05 F-250 in CT. Hopefully I will be able to do a little better on the cost, but I feel better buying from a dealer. When I bought my wifes Jeep, I paid about $1000 more than I would have if bought private, but before I would take delivery I had them fix MANY things which parts and labot far exceeded $1000.

There is an 06 here in town which I am going to try and test drive today, it is more than I want to spend, but it has 12K miles on it, so test driving should tell me what these are supposed to feel like.

Karl, the 06' your going to drive will "feel" a little different in some areas. The 6.0/Torqueshift combo will be the same as the 03'-04', but the 05' and later trucks benifit from a variety of frame, suspension and brake upgrades. Weight capacities are higher on the 05'+ trucks because of this. You'll also get to experience the coil spring front suspension and revised steering components. These trucks have a turning radius some 5.5 feet tighter than the earlier leaf spring trucks and an improved ride. 05'+ trucks also have the option of the built in Tow Command brake controller. This is a factory installed break controller that is fully integrated into the trucks electrical/brakeing system. Very nice feature and superior to anything on the market as long as you do not have electric over hydraulic brakes. Interiors are improved as well, although still very basic compared to the 08' revision.

nylyon

Sunday we'll be checking out another one in NJ which I am pretty sure we will be getting. It is an 03 (yeah I know) and I got the the Oasis report and it has been to the dealer for just recalls. The PO has had the fluids checked for contaminates and last maintenance has new batteries, tires, ball joints, hubs, bearings, seals and fluid changes. Again if anyone can run a car fax on:

1FTNW21P73EC81720

CIMG1241-good4.jpg

P1010001.jpg

It is looking like this is the one....

Rollerman

Looks really nice to me Karl.

My 02 gasser has served me well!

Wish I could help you with the carfax reports.

T-Mo

Karl,

Nice looking truck. I also wish I could help you with the carfax report, but alas, I don't have an account either.

DMESS

Sounds like it's been maintained properly and had things taken care of if needed. The OASIS report will show you anything ugly like head work, turbos, injectors etc. If it was just small things it's probably a good one. Hey, I'm partial to black myself so I like it! :whistle: Cap is worth a few dollars once you go to the 5'er.

nylyon

The cap is actually part of what I really like, that and that it's loaded. With the cap, Stout, BUD (Big Ugly Dog) will have a place to sit while we're traveling. I spoke with the current owner a couple more times and it turns out this was special ordered and he took delivery in Indiana so it can't be all that bad now can it. He owns a business with heavy equipment and gets his oil analyzed from Cat. This truck's oil has been analyzed and there is no metal or other contaminates. At this point, it seems like a very well cared for truck.

Just in case, does anyone in the Brewster area have a car dolly I can borrow? If we get this I plan to drive down with the Jeep later in the week with a tow dolly, then tow the Jeep back home with the truck. :whistle:

DMESS

The cap is actually part of what I really like, that and that it's loaded. With the cap, Stout, BUD (Big Ugly Dog) will have a place to sit while we're traveling. I spoke with the current owner a couple more times and it turns out this was special ordered and he took delivery in Indiana so it can't be all that bad now can it. He owns a business with heavy equipment and gets his oil analyzed from Cat. This truck's oil has been analyzed and there is no metal or other contaminates. At this point, it seems like a very well cared for truck.

Just in case, does anyone in the Brewster area have a car dolly I can borrow? If we get this I plan to drive down with the Jeep later in the week with a tow dolly, then tow the Jeep back home with the truck. :whistle:

Coach, if this guy is interested enough to do oil analysis, then he has most likely maintained this truck very well. Let's face it, the engine will probably outlast the truck!