Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

CarFax

nylyon

Does anyone have a subscription to CarFax who can look up a truck for me? Vin number is: 1FTWX33P25EA95560 it's a 2005 F350 Diesel

Thanks

DMESS

Coach, you know diesel is $5.00 a gallon right? :WRS:

Of course I was crazy enough...... :whistle:

superduty.jpg

Nick

Thats a nice looking truck but the price does look a bit low for a 4x4 dually and the low miles. To me anyway. :whistle: This was mentioned before but you might want to look into the 6.0 diesels reliability. Im sure there are some people happy with them but have heard of several problems also. I forget the site my brother reads but you could try this one Diesel stop Forum . Maybe Duane will be around with some better information. but you might want to look at the older 7.3 diesel or maybe the newer 6.4 I think I even hear the old 7.3 gets better milage. :WRS:

I dont own one but use my brothers when my F-250 cant haul it. 14 mpg if you drive slow but its also got 4.88 gears and weighs around 10,000 pounds empty. :D

test002.jpg

DMESS

Reliability issues with the 6.0 have been a product of the early 03'-04' models. many of the injection components were revamped on the 05-07' trucks and the majority of these seem to be good to go. Head gasket issues appear here and there, but take into concideration the sheer number of Super Duty diesels on the road. I find that most guys can't leave them alone either. Tuners and gadgets that make the engine operate outside of its intended parameters are generally a recipe for problems with the heads. I've been quite pleased with my 06' so far although it's hardly broken in with 11,000 miles on it. I've seen over 19.5 mpg on the highway and have done a best tank average of 18 mpg. Most day to day running (which doesn't occur much these days) puts me in the 15-16 mpg range. Not bad for a truck that weighs on the high side of 7500 lbs and has the aerodynamics of a barn. 3.73 ratio in my SRW. Father in law has an 06' 350 DRW with the Tow Boss pkg. running 4.30 rear and can still manage 10-10.5 mpg towing a high profile 15,000lb 5'er. No complaints from him other than a faulty power steering box replaced under waranty. My truck has far more capability than I need at present, but we hope to purchase a 5th wheel when the wife finishes nursing school next spring. I also intend to have a larger "Horse" trailer at some point as well. :whistle:

How about a link to the truck in question Karl?

Curmudgeon

Dustin is right about the aftermarket. I have a brother who's been a Ford Technician for over 30 years. People will put larger turbos on them, use tuners to jack up the boost even farther, increase the fuel pressure, etc., and get twice the standard horsepower in the process.

Then they bring them in stretched head bolts and DEMAND they be replaced under warranty! :whistle: :WRS:

DMESS

Dustin is right about the aftermarket. I have a brother who's been a Ford Technician for over 30 years. People will put larger turbos on them, use tuners to jack up the boost even farther, increase the fuel pressure, etc., and get twice the standard horsepower in the process.

Then they bring them in stretched head bolts and DEMAND they be replaced under warranty! :whistle::WRS:

Yeah, this is a big issue. And of course Ford and International go round and round fighting over the warranty costs. The popularity of these add ons create a bad name as far a reliability is concerned. "I'm making 800 ft lb of torque, why did those heads lift again?''

Honestly there are certain components and areas that Ford/International could improve a bit, but it's a complex engine and the emissions regulations don't help either. The 6.4 addressed some of these areas, but took a dump in the fuel mileage because of it. overall average mileage is not as high on these trucks as the earlier 6.0's. The same can be said between the 6.0 and 7.3 thanks to the emission hardware that was added to the 6.0. EGR is the devel as far as these trucks are concerned and the newer the engine model the more extensive the emissions equpment.

KyBlue

Alot of the 6 liter failures Id heard of were Sensors, oiling issues, and the like.

I have a good friend that handled all the warranty work for a Major dealer in Central Ky (paul miller Ford) and his best advice was to drive them. Use em like a truck. Alot of the problems come from short distance trips that dont let the motor get up to operating temps, and excessive idling.

Ive also heard some excellent things about em. I know the new motor isnt all its cracked up to be, from the owners Ive talked to.

Sorry no car Fax report! But I am in the Car Market - Lookin to add a 06 or 07 Mustang GT to my parking lot.

Curmudgeon

Yeah, this is a big issue. And of course Ford and International go round and round fighting over the warranty costs. The popularity of these add ons create a bad name as far a reliability is concerned. "I'm making 800 ft lb of torque, why did those heads lift again?''

Honestly there are certain components and areas that Ford/International could improve a bit, but it's a complex engine and the emissions regulations don't help either. The 6.4 addressed some of these areas, but took a dump in the fuel mileage because of it. overall average mileage is not as high on these trucks as the earlier 6.0's. The same can be said between the 6.0 and 7.3 thanks to the emission hardware that was added to the 6.0. EGR is the devel as far as these trucks are concerned and the newer the engine model the more extensive the emissions equpment.

Ford COULD build the engines to reliably handle all the add on power packages, but you just added a bunch to the price of an already expensive ride.

I just find it amazing people are so dumb as to put all the power components on, and not put some reliability parts in there.

When I was into motorcycle engines, stronger cylinder studs, welded cranks, etc. etc. etc. was standard procedure when increasing horsepower. We knew and ACCEPTED adding reliability while adding power was OUR responsibility.

But things are different now. No one wants to be responsible for their own actions.

nylyon
This truck will be used to pull our 34' trailer and then we'll be upgrading to a larger fifth wheel like this one. I really want crew cab, but this one for the price is pretty tempting. It's a toss up, with who you speak with, on 6.0 and 7.3's they are both great motors.

Curmudgeon

Oh that's right Karl, the original question....... LOL

DMESS

Seems like a fairly low price for an 05' although I see it is just over 100,000 miles. Go for the crew cab if you can. I know your kids are younger, but you will GREATLY appreciate the extra space and leg room. Resale value is substantially higher too. Well, resale value might not be squat at this point with fuel prices, but historically a crew cab 350 diesel holds a wicked high residuale value for a Ford.

Obviously we have something else in common! Camping! We try to go as often as we can although I work every other weekend which slows us down a bit. Right now we "rent" a room from my wifes parents which is fine but we really want our own rig. Here's there 07' Regal 365BHTS with half bath option.

regal5er.jpg

The Glendale you linked to looks fabulous. the extra bath floorplans are becoming VERY popular and we are considering one of these styles for ourselves having experienced this setup with the inlaws.

Smart to go with a dually if you are considering this weight range of 5'er. I just didn't want to deal with a dually and we're hoping to stay with a lighter unit than what your looking at. I'm still rated 15,500 gross, but I know I don't have the stability the dually offers. Keep in mind even the 4.10 ratio dually is only rated 15,500 gross. Tow Boss pkg with 4.30 rear steps up to 18,500! And of course the new 450 is capable of a mind bending 24,500! :whistle:

Nick

Karl, I found your F350 on Auto trader. :whistle:

Dustin, You think a stock F350 is a brick you should try an ambulance package F-450 with a raised roof. :WRS:

Chip Chester

Karl,

These days, I wouldn't worry too much about passing up a specific truck, since it's quite likely that a few more folks will be parting with similar vehicles. Especially if it's not exactly what you would want, and you have some more time. You might even find a good 'package' deal of truck and trailer, too.

Chip

DMESS

Karl,

These days, I wouldn't worry too much about passing up a specific truck, since it's quite likely that a few more folks will be parting with similar vehicles. Especially if it's not exactly what you would want, and you have some more time. You might even find a good 'package' deal of truck and trailer, too.

Chip

Yes, just look on ebay for "F 350" or "F 250" . About a zillion great used trucks available and it's only gonna get worse. I don't HAVE to drive mine more than once every other week or so. We run my wifes Mazda all over the place and let the truck sit until we need to haul, tow etc.

nylyon

For an 05 it's at a really good price point and if were a crew cab I would have picked it up today. My wife and I are going to look at a similar one tomorrow morning locally to see if the club cab would work for us. Like Dustin said, my kids are young now, but they're gonna grow and I want to have plenty of room for them. I need to keep the cost of this down to under 20K and it's going to be tough to get a nice crew cab F350 for that price. Hey Dustin, wanna trade for a 414-8?

DMESS

For an 05 it's at a really good price point and if were a crew cab I would have picked it up today. My wife and I are going to look at a similar one tomorrow morning locally to see if the club cab would work for us. Like Dustin said, my kids are young now, but they're gonna grow and I want to have plenty of room for them. I need to keep the cost of this down to under 20K and it's going to be tough to get a nice crew cab F350 for that price. Hey Dustin, wanna trade for a 414-8?

Karl, it would take a Lever Steer, a fiberglass hood RJ 25, WT30 tiller, a few 754's, a 706, a few 420-LSE's, a 512-D, a 316-8...........or you could take over the mortgage!

Check the Super Cab out, AND SIT IN THE BACK. Personal experience recommends the crew cab, although yes, price will be tough. Now as a temporary fix that SC dually at 16,500 would certainly fill the need.

I bit the bullet when 0% financing was available late in 06', but sometimes wish I'd just waited for a nice used 06' or 07' to come along. Interest probably would have eaten up the savings I'd have gained buying used, BUT now with fuel prices these things might get real cheap. :WRS:

Have you driven one yet? The 6.0 grin as they call it will eat at you once you do! Just a warning. it's kinda like a disease. :whistle:

nylyon

I knew you were going to make me sit in the back :whistle:

Sparky

Hmm...you couldnt get a big truck BEFORE you dragged me to PA?? :whistle:

Mike...........

wh500special

Holy cow guys, I looked up the weights of those trailers and couldn't believe it! 14k and 15k pounds?!?!?! :WRS:

Amazing! So with a 4 ton truck you guys are grossing out at over 22000 pounds!

What kind of fuel "economy" does one expect with that type of load? Do you have to stop at weigh stations?

I'm just curious (not being judgemental) as I know my F250 4wd (4.10) with 4.6L V8 gets a miserable 16-17 mpg EMPTY and drops off to 10 mpg with a 5000 lb trailer or even with a boat in a headwind.

Keep buying those RV's since a lot of them are made right here in the Hoosier State! We LOVE when out of staters send their money this way! :D

If I recall correctly (and it's a crap shoot most of the time), one of the big problems that Ford/Navistar had to resolve on the early 6.0's was with the piezo electric unit injectors. Apparently engine oil was used to help provide a seal or intensify the pressures these injectors put out. Highly sophisticated at the time (even 5 years later) and some engines had problems, but the problem wasn't - apparently - as wide spread as vocal opinion and pissing contests made it sound. i think the new 6.4 is a common rail design without the unit injectors.

Like Dustin said, i think the issues were resolved pretty quickly in the '04 models.

I've read in many places that the 7.3 got better mileage than the 6.0. Makes sense being that it wasn't as powerful of an engine. The new 6.4 is supposed to be about a wash over the 6.0.

Ford apparently was planning to drop the 4.2L Powerstroke V6 into F150's a few years ago, but the "issues" with the 6.0 held that up for a few years. that engine is available in medium duty trucks and a new diesel is supposed to be on tap for the F150 next year (or 2010). GM has a diesel coming on line for the half tons too.

Not in the same class as your monsters though.

There are definately more used diesels available used around here now than there were a couple years ago. The local Ford dealer is awash in them right now whereas before he couldn't keep them on the lot. I credit fuel prices AND the fact that everybody wanted a diesel (including me) to keep up with the Jones..or the Messinger's as it were :whistle: . People were buying HD pickups and using them as commuter vehicles...silly.

There is about a 30% efficiency increase that comes from transitioning from a gasoline engine to a comparable diesel. So, as long as diesel is only about 30% more expensve than gas it still makes economic sense from an operational standpoint even though the casual onlooker may only see the higher price of fuel on the price board.

I know of several farmers around here who are burning off-road (non taxed) diesel in their older trucks and volkswagons. They have to stay away from the new ULSD vehicles to keep up their practice of skirting the laws. A few guys are brewing their own biodiesel from used cooking oil.

You may find the folowing site useful...or at least entertaining:

www.carbuyingtips.com

hope you find a CarFax subscriber!

Steve

DMESS

Steve, I've seen a highway best of 19.5-19.7 and a best full tank average of 18 running empty. We did a trip to Amherst NH last October pulling a "massive" 1200 lb trailer :imstupid: and averaged 17 for the trip running 65-75 mph most of the time. At a sensible 55-60 I'm confident the truck could pull 20-20.5 on a highway run empty. The FIL's dually returned 10-10.5 last year on a trip to Myrtle Beach towing the 14,000 lb+ condo as pictured above. Not bad given the combined weight and frontal area being shoved into the breeze!

nylyon

Well, I looked at the Super-Cab, and yer right the kids will fit now but I sure don't want to hear all the fighting because of the cramped space. The wife and I are looking at this one tomorrow. I think that price is a tad too high, we'll see what he'll do on that, and I hope the pin stripping is just tape, other than that it looks to be in good shape.

TT

THAT is a :whistle: cool truck, Karl! Got me missing my old '93 F-250 diesel now.

I'd say the fancy swirls are probably painted on, but they can come off pretty easily under the right hands. You still might be able to see where they were because of fading in the paint around them, which happens with the decals too. :WRS:

Nick

Guess I'll second that, it is a :WRS: looking truck and that is some low miles for a diesel. Im sure you will like the crew cab also. :whistle:

T-Mo

Nice looking truck, Karl. So are you going to retire the Durango?

Sparky

Nice looking truck, Karl. So are you going to retire the Durango?

I think the Durangos allready gone Terry.

So Karl...did ya rip out the navigation thingy and the voice activated phone thingy as well :whistle: ?

Mike..............