Sign in to follow this  
condo630

Raider 9

ben06351

:wh: What a fun thread this is. EXCELLENT work, really man looking good keep it up. :dunno:

farmerall

Your tractor is looking really nice.

Also when ever I take a tractor apart I try to leave as many nuts and bolts in their places even if they are just loosely in place until I get to the cleaning and painting step.

2tractornuts

Cool restore.If I may you can wet sand with 600 or 800 Grit then finish with 1200 or 1500 grit then buff you wont believe how slick it will look just sand lightly till all the height bumps are gone then reshoot it.

can whlvr

looks great,and like 2 tractor said,wet sand and then reshoot and you will have a nice thick coat

HorseFixer

Yep comming along nicely and I just love the White Rims and IMHO is the only way to go. My 417A was done that way and so shall the 520 be. :dunno:

Cheers ~Duke

AMC RULES

:dunno: Shadetree rules! :wh:

condo630

Hey thanks everybody, I just got my account back up and running again. I have been extremely busy at work and have not had time to get on here much (or work on the tractor... :wh: )

Those runs have been very difficult to remove as well. I'm going to try using a paint nib file, next stop is the sand blaster again :dunno:

I did manage to find time to flush the transmission. I filled it with kerosene, jacked up the rear and spun the tires for a few minutes, drained and repeated several times until the kero came out clear. Re-filled with 80W-90.

Hopefully, before long I'll get the engine running so I can see what needs done to it, then paint and install it. The hood and fenders are going to be a while until I find a heated place to paint.

Thanks for all the compliments, hope I make some more progress soon!

condo630

Engine is ready for oil pan swap and paint.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Condo630: This is a great looking tractor and you are doing a great job on it.

Ken B

She is coming along nicely. That is a nice score on the Kohler motor, you'll appreciate the extra power over the motor that was originally in your Raider.

condo630

Did some work on the engine today. Cleaned up the rust and crud on the block with my new Dremel tool, and swapped the oil pan with one that will bolt to my frame.

Photo12231529.jpg

Looks OK to me...

...anyone know what this is?

Photo12231530.jpg

I found it in the bottom of the oil pan when I took it off. I've never rebuilt one of these, don't know where a washer like that would be from. I don't see anywhere it could have fallen off of either. Is there anyone with experience in building these engines that could tell me what it's from? Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to worry about it. The thing runs great and I can't even think of a place where there would be a flat washer used inside the engine.

Thanks for all the feedback. Progress is slow, but sure. :orcs-cheers:

TT

How big is this "washer"? :confusion-shrug:

It looks like it could be a camshaft shim / thrust washer.

Look between the end of the cam (opposite of gear end) and the block and see if there's anything between them. There should be at least one shim. (washer)

condo630

How big is this "washer"? :confusion-shrug:

It looks like it could be a camshaft shim / thrust washer.

Look between the end of the cam (opposite of gear end) and the block and see if there's anything between them. There should be at least one shim. (washer)

Yes, it's more like a shim than a washer. Do you think it fell off? I don't know how that would happen without the camshaft falling off...

TT

It can't fall out once the pin is in place, but it can fall "up" when the cam pin is installed through the camshaft during engine assembly. If it happened at the factory, perhaps another washer was installed, the rest of the internals went in, and the oil pan went on - without ever retrieving the "lost" washer. Once the engine was flipped over, the washer fell into the oil pan and that's where it remained until you found it.

Did you check for a washer at the end of the camshaft? There really needs to be at least one of those washers installed and more than one if the endplay is not "in spec".

condo630

Did you check for a washer at the end of the camshaft? There really needs to be at least one of those washers installed and more than one if the endplay is not "in spec".

I'll take a look when I get home at the end of the week. That seems like a reasonable explanation, but I don't know if the motor was ever rebuilt.

Rooster

I have found shims in the oil pans of engines before. No marks on the shims , engine never been opened before.

I have a feeling TT is right, it fell out during assembly and no one bothered to retrieve it.

condo630

Photo12231530.jpg

I do have one shim between the camshaft and block, opposite the gear end.

This "washer/shim" type thing that I found in the oil pan measures 3/8" ID, 11/16" OD, 1/32" thick. Does that help?

condo630

Found time to get a few more odds and ends painted. Pretty much everything to do with the engine except the tins is done.

Photo01281110.jpg

Photo01281128_1.jpg

Photo01281128.jpg

There's only pics of the block, but I did the coil and its bracket, governor arm and starter also. I used Plasti-Kote (Valspar) 500 degree engine paint spray bombs on all of it.

I've decided to do the tins in red to match the rest of the sheetmetal, what do you think?

I've also made the executive decision to send the hood back to the sandblaster, since I'll also need the engine tins done. Hopefully I'll then be able to get all of it done in one shot.

Slowly, but surely. ^_^

AMC RULES

Liked the test fire video Chris. :) That ol' Kohler looks like it wants to get off that engine stand in a bad way. :icecream:

condo630

That ol' Kohler looks like it wants to get off that engine stand in a bad way. :icecream:

It got its wish yesterday. I got home early, and was off today, so I went after it full bore.

stack1.jpg

stack2.jpg

stack3.jpg

I picked up the muffler on Sunday, just had to get it on...I love the way it looks!! In the pictures, the engine is "sitting' in place, as is the hood (with it's boogered up paint) to get the stack straight. To give credit where credit is due, I borrowed the exact design from one of Tricycle Terry's posts in the Engine forum. Works great.

The engine is now bolted on, oil drain tube is rigged where I want it and not leaking (neither is the swapped oil pan), drive pulley is back on the transmission after I finally tracked down a replacement set screw and woodruff key,

I am also VERY relieved to be able to tell you that the belt guard appears to fit right back on where it came from. I was a little worried that the Kohler wouldn't allow it. I mocked up the engine pulley, idler and belt to see how everything else would fit; looks good, just need to figure out how to put the clutch/brake rod, spring, parking brake, etc. back together.

As for the rest of the painting, I'll need to wait for an opening in a few different schedules, but it's coming.

Jake Kuhn

Looks good! :handgestures-thumbup:

jay in nc

between you & donamy you are building a fire under me to do my raider 9 , hope it looks as good as those two tractors. jay

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

Looking Good Chris!!!!!!

condo630

Thanks guys. Donamy's looks reeeeaallly nice, doesn't it??? :drool:

Good to hear from another Raider owner. I like the style, not so fond of the Tecumseh engine, but I cured that!

Olratlr

Looks like you are doing good. I worked on my Raider Nine a couple of years a go thought you might want to see.

I added a 14 hp Tecumseh trans plant.post-1304-0-45519600-1330004301_thumb.jp