Sign in to follow this  
multihobbyguy

Dual Restore / Rehab

multihobbyguy

I have been putting off starting on a couple of rebuilds till I got a couple of things completed around the house and this week I finally got to a point to where I could get both of them into the garage. First I took the time to throw them mostly together and make sure they run and operate correctly (been acquiring a few parts here and there). The Suburban is for me and the 704 is for my father. Last year at the Wheel Horse show I wanted to buy a round hood but most were out of my price range and I knew that the Misses would not be happy. So my father found the 704 for sale and talked the guy down and bought it for me. He figured if he purchased it she couldn't get mad at me. Well this winter I found the Suburban for sale and stated how I would like to have it and she told me I should buy it so off I went to get it. So I figure I can gift my father back a tractor he gave me but in much better condition. My father owns a lot of garden tractors and full size tractors but every last one of them is in their work clothes or a 20+ year old restoration so I figure he deserves at least one that is fixed up. My original goal was to have them done by the 2011 show, but being a full time student I just didn't have the time this last semester to get started. I am getting doubtful that I will have them ready by then. So I figured if I start this thread it will give me the push to get rolling. The 704 seems to need the most work and will be the biggest undertaking. The hood is not in good condition the fenders are out of round and the tractor as a whole is a little fuzzy (rust). The previous owner of the Suburban was trying to fix it up and lost interest. The owner seemed to have painted over rust and quite a bit of pitting of the metal so I will have some priming and blocking to try to fix it. I hope to call a place to inquire about having them blasted on Monday but just in case I also bought a large Rubbermaid stock tank to build a e-tank if need be. Well as I go along I am sure to have a ton of questions. I will probably post them outside of this thread and try to just focus on progress here (or lack there of). Here are some pictures to give you a idea of where I am starting. The last two pictures are of how we found the 704 and then the picture that I made him pose for so she would not think I bought it.

tractorphotos013.jpg

tractorphotos014.jpg

tractorphotos015.jpg

tractorphotos016.jpg

tractorphotos011.jpg

tractorphotos012.jpg

tractorphotos010.jpg

tractorphotos017.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

multihobbyguy

Sorry I don't have any updates yet. I purchased a C-175 from another Redsquare member that was completely taken apart and I had to unload it in the garage. Now I have no room. I ended up moving the 704 and the Suburban out so I can jokey some stuff around. I plan on putting the C-175 stuff into my 6x12 covered trailer tomorrow until I figure out what I will do with the thing. I mainly wanted the mid mount blade and the front blade the tractor was just a bonus. I hope to have something for you soon. In the mean time here is a picture of the C-175 in pieces and messy garage.

035.jpg

037.jpg

052.jpg

multihobbyguy

I finally have a small update. I have been trying to fix my hood on the 704 and have been putting off tearing the tractor down until I have it finished. I also needed to add a tab to my drive belt cover so I needed the engine to still be bolted into the tractor. I could only find a 606 belt guard for the tractor which is for a techy instead of a kohler. Unfortunately I was not sure what the tab was supposed to look like or a physical size so I had to wing it, but have since found a picture of it so I need to modify it a little. I also made it to the home improvement store and purchased rebar to make a e-tank. Here a few picture.

003.jpg

011-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

multihobbyguy

Just a little update. Most of the 704 is disassembled and I started soaking the frame in a electrolysis bath. I didn't find any local sand blasters that wanted to deal with a small project so I decided to experiment with the electrolysis method. I already have some things I am going to change with the electrolysis tank when I have to empty and clean it, if it works well. Does anyone know how often you clean an electrolysis tank? Here are some pictures of the progress.

006-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

condo630

Can't wait to see how it comes out of the E tank!

multihobbyguy

I am hoping for good things. I am not real sure how long it needs to stay in the tank. I am thinking until the bubbles quit coming up as that should be the end of the process if I understand it correctly. I have read that it takes anywhere from 24-48hrs to complete its cycle. I am thinking about skimming all the crude off the top here in a bit. I have been watching my charger as it seems to be getting a little warm. If I leave it on 12volts and 2 amps it chugs along but if I change it to 12v and 6 amps it runs for about 10-20mins and shuts off for a minute and then comes back on for another 10-20mins. I seem to be getting better results from the 6amps that cycles than the continuous 2amps but it is really hard to tell other than watching for bubbles. Anyone know why the charger would cycle on and off? I had thought that maybe I had the positive and negative touching somewhere but I have since ruled that out. Also does anyone know how often I need to change the solution in the tub? It actually looks pretty clean under all the nasty sludge. Here is the latest picture at about 20hrs.

001.jpg

multihobbyguy

Well after about 36 hours I finally pulled the part from the E-tank. I learned quite a bit about the process and know of several upgrades I plan to do to the tank. Anyone that plans on using this method just remember that line of sight is how it is removed so I will probably make special ways to do the inside or undersides of parts. I do know that the next time I get a rusty gas tank I will make a plastic cap with a rod in it to remove the rust from the inside using the process. After clean up I think that it worked well but I would almost prefer to just blast the items. I am a little impatient and I still have some mechanical stripping to do. The thing is that I have a place to E-tank but I really don't have a place to sand blast. Another note is that the cast parts start to rust almost instantly which is ok since they will fit in my blast cabinet. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Right before I pull the frame. A lot of the paint is floating to the top.

001-1.jpg

Just out of the tank getting ready to rinse and scrub.

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

After just rinsing with water.

005-1.jpg

After a little scrubbing.

006-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

Then I blow dried the frame and then used lacquer thinner in a paint gun and drenched it to displace the water. I am not sure if this will help or hurt. I also thought about using brake cleaner.

008-3.jpg

Then I brought it into the garage to get ready to clean it up more and weld some holes shut and remove a couple of parts that are stuck on.

Does anyone know, was something mounted here or was these broken welds added by a previous owner?

011-Copy.jpg

010-Copy.jpg

mavfreak

looking really good!

312Hydro

Looks like its working well, although I have not e-tanked anything. It sounds like you have sand blasted before. How do the two methods compare? I have sand blasted using silica for sheet metal and black beauty for frames (not on a :WRS: though). I was thinking about trying the e tank. If you add a pump you could use that as a hot tub when your done :hide: I like the tank, it reminds me of a small garden pond.Could a hood fit in it?

multihobbyguy

Thanks for the comments. As for the difference in blasting and the E-tank. Blasting I have always found to be dirty and hot. I always wore a hood and a 1 piece Dickie's suit. I have only ever blasted with sand and I use glass in my cabinet. I have been told you should not use sand anymore and never reuse the sand because of the silica dust. The E-tank takes sometime to work as the blasting is instant and can be accomplished in a shorter period of time. As far as a hood I think about all wheel horse hoods would fit. The tank is 100gallons and measures 53" L x 31" W x 25" H. They run about $75.00 at Tractor Supply. Thanks, Chris.

By the way does anyone happen to know if I am missing something or a previous owner added something?

011-Copy.jpg

010-Copy.jpg

multihobbyguy

Not much to add so far today. I started a new batch in the E-tank. The wheels and the front axle. The rear wheels were terribly pitted so I hope none have gone through. I plan to run this batch about 24hrs and then get the frame, wheels and axle ready to prime. This evening I plan to sit down and start ordering the stuff I need. Stuff like decals, choke and throttle cables, new tires and many, many small details.

I have a question about tires. would it look ok to have Carlisle 6-12 ags on the rear and then have a different brand of tire on the front like Deestone 4.00x8 tri-ribs?

Anyways, thanks for checking in and here is the only picture I have so far today and it is a pretty boring one at that. Thanks, Chris.

photo.jpg

WheelHorseSteve

Different brand of tires front-to-rear is no problem... pick whatever tires you like. I like Carlisles but they don't make tri-ribs... so stray to get the "real tractor" look.

chris11

keep up the great work

earlleecliffton

Nice job on the tab

multihobbyguy

Not a lot got done this weekend other than some E-tanking and scrubbing. I had too much to do around the house. I need to get back to work on the 704 because packages are starting to show up. Hopefully I will start getting stuff to roll a little faster for me in the next couple of days. Right now I am just cleaning items and putting them to the side till I can get ready to prime. Here is some of the stuff that has showed up so far. One set is for the 704 and the other is a set for the Suburban.

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

014-1.jpg

016-1-1.jpg

• Like 1

multihobbyguy

I have gotten a little done since my last post. Having it ready for when my father gets here for the show seems unlikely at this time but maybe I will study sleep deprivation in the next 9 days :hide: . I hope to have the wheels painted tomorrow and the rear axle painted tomorrow also so that I can start bolting a few things together and in the mean time the tins are soaking in the E-tank. First I need to do some homework for my class tomorrow. Hopefully another update in the next couple of days. Here are three photos from a few minutes ago. Thank you for looking, Chris.

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

312Hydro

It's shaping up pretty nice. I'll bet it will feel great to start assembling it! Really looking good! :hide:

multihobbyguy

Just another short update before I run off to class. I didn't have time to clean the transmission so I just focused on the wheels this morning. I got most of the pits on the front sides out with sanding and then I primed and wet sanded before I sprayed them. The primer was Valspar's restoration series gray. I couldn't find a premixed color for the wheels so I ended up spray painting them with the Valspar Almond. I was actually pleased with the results of the spray paint. If I had not seen the wonderful thing people on here do with spray paint I would have never tried it, so Thank You. Here are a couple of pictures of progress. As you can see with one of the wood piles I am also building a deck in my spare time. I hope to have it done before the show also :hide: .

004-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

• Like 1

multihobbyguy

Quick update before I take a shower and head to bed. I think I now have enough stuff painted that I can start some of my initial assembly. It is late here so here are some pictures. Sorry it is so dark I snapped them at midnight before my final coat. I hope to never have to paint with a flashlight again. Hopefully there are no glaring mistakes when I look at them in the morning. I will try to get more when I start my assembly. Thanks for looking, Chris.

007-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

chris11

Wow that looks awsome, Cant wait to see more of the progress.Thank you

buckrancher

By the way does anyone happen to know if I am missing something or a previous owner added something?

011-Copy.jpg

010-Copy.jpg

yes that is where the belt guard mounts are welded on to hold the drive belt cover they are a "z" shaped pieces

you can make them out of 1/2" x1/8" flat stock drill and tap one end for 1/4 x20 bolt

Brian

multihobbyguy

Sorry there have not been any updates. I have a good excuse. I have done nothing :thumbs2: . I worked on it till the Wheel Horse Show and then after the show I traveled to Kansas for the rest of the summer. As soon as I got back I returned to school and still have not had time. I hope to get back to it in the next month if I can find any extra time. Here is where the tractor sits currently.

020-1.jpg

019.jpg

C-Series14

Looks like a great job! I like the Valspar Almond on the wheels and the tri-ribs!!! Got to get my butt in gear this fall-winter and tear one apart. Want to do ribs on a C-Series! :thumbs2:

multihobbyguy

Just a mini update. I had some extra time the last two days so I took the engine down some and cleaned it up and painted it today. I think the next engine I paint will be completely disassembled. The paint turned out ok. I was trying out a new paint gun and at first I was pouring it on so there is some runs but they might be where no one will see or notice them. Sorry the pictures are from my iPhone. Thanks for looking, Chris.

020-2.jpg

035-1.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

031.jpg

030-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

028.jpg

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Glad to hear you are back on it! Looking good! Jake