Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

Wheel Horse Tractor Hobby

CHARGER9AUTO

I ask myself the same question every day why did I start collecting Wheel Horse Garden tractors when other other people have a way better collection of Wheel Horses than I'd do ( second hand tractors ) I feel like quiting the Wheel Horse tractor hobby sometimes because I read stories of Mike aquiring a 418-A and the free 656 last week I'm put out for this Ben does not come across any good deals in Monson MA :D:P I minus well quit the Wheel Horse Collectors Club in PA

nylyon

There will always be someone with a bigger and better collection of anything, as long as you enjoy what you are doing is all that matters. I personally enjoy seeing everyone getting these tractors, showing them off and fixing them up and more importantly being able to chat with folks like you who have the same appreciation for these little red tractors.

CHARGER9AUTO

I ask myself the same question every day why did I start collecting Wheel Horse Garden tractors when other other people have a way better collection of Wheel Horses than I'd do ( second hand tractors ) I feel like quiting the Wheel Horse tractor hobby sometimes because I read stories of Mike aquiring a 418-A and the free 656 last week I'm put out for this Ben does not come across any good deals in Monson MA :D:P I minus well quit the Wheel Horse Collectors Club in PA

Karl, I really enjoy working on my Wheel Horse tractors and using them for different type of jobs around the yard

Sparky

Hey Ben. I dont think the higher the number of tractors is what makes someones collection better than others. True, I have a lot of complete tractors and 3 parts machines but sometimes I wish I had a few less so I could spend more time on one and not constantly getting side tracked midway thru a repair/project by another that needs something. Its a pain in the butt trying to remember which one had an oil change and which one had a tranny fluid swap and so on. Dont even get me started on the battery headaches I go thru everytime I need to use one thats been idle for awhile. I have a an awsome D-160 that I have owned for almost a year and I havent been able to use it because it needs a couple days attention and a few $$ put into it and I cant seem to find the time.

Mike......just venting

Curmudgeon

Karl's right, someone will always have more stuff. Someone, like Eldon!!!!! :( will have the skills of rebuilding that will put many of us to shame. There will be people who stumble into the freebies. OKay, I've gotten lucky on that a few times myself, so I can brag a little. :D But those came from shear luck, from having a website that I put a LOT of time into and wound up with a LOT of emails from people who searched and found it. They came from helping others and them giving back in return. Having been doing this for over 15 years now, (yeah, I've been saying 10 years, but I stopped and thought about it, I'm getting OLD, more like 15, crowding 20 years in this hobby) has exposed me to a lot of people who know I do this.

In the end, regardless of my capabilities, others capabilities, how much, or little money I can spend outright, and a hundred other reasons why others can do better than myself, I sure as heck ain't gonna go giving up a good, clean, fun hobby.

Besides, what the devil would I do with 11 tractors, untold numbers of various implements, and piles of parts???? Give them away? NOT on your life, took me 20 years to accumulate it!!!!!!!! :P:(

Dale

kj4kicks

Hey now, I don't have MORE stuff, just weird stuff !! Same reason I like Buicks... cuz not everybody has one!

Ben, if you enjoy it, stick with it !!

PS. Tractors are cheaper than girlfriends, and you can shut them off when you don't wanna hear it !

Rollerman

Hey Ben don't knock your collection...I have heard you mention your 953 before.

Thats a very diserable tractor...worse off I had one "had gremlins" sold it to a friend & now miss it!

As Mike said haveing many tractors can become a maintanance nightmare.

Ben enjoy what you have...I would enjoy seeing pics of that 953?

The deals will come...can't look for them cause they normally just happen.

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

Like Mike said, sometimes having more tractors is a pain. I have, let's see, at present count - 4 JDs, and 2 Wheel Horses. Not only do you need to keep the oil change, the filters clean, but they need to be run. Sometimes finding the time to play with them and drive them is hard, especially during the fall and winter when daylight is scarce. I ran the 314-8 a lot last weekend, but not the others. Friday and Saturday I ran the LT133 to bag leaves a lot, but didn't even start the others. Then comes the storage issue. There are times I think of thinning the herd and sometimes do just that, sell one or two off. But then a few weeks to a few months later I pick up another one or two. :D

T-Mo

Also, ones collection depends on several factors:

1. Money

2. Time constraints

3. Storage capacity

4. Wife's/Girlfriends tolerance

5. Enthusiasm/Motivation

6. Experience/number of years doing this

7. Knowledge

8. Location (some areas of the country, i.e. Pa. is great for WH collecting, Nevada may not be)

9. Intangibles (luck, being in the right place at the right time, friends looking out for you i.e. "Hey, buddy, I saw a WH at so and so's place")

10. Other

Anyone else have anything to add to the list?

CasualObserver

Ben (and anyone/everyone else), In my opinion, one should be into the hobby because one enjoys the tractors, not to "compete" with anyone, or amass the largest collection. Collecting in general is about getting things that interest YOU... not so much, the keeping up with someone else.

Personally I got into the hobby as a way to remember and pay tribute to a grandfather that I was very fond of. (He had a Wheel Horse tractor in the shed ALL my life) So for me it's also a family thing. I enjoy the history, the chase, and the occasional score! I enjoy the people, the discussions and all the new things I've learned. But mostly I the thing that I enjoy most in this hobby is that every single time I look at one of my Wheel Horses, I think about a memory of sunny summer afternoons and seeing my grandfather spraying the fruit trees in his orchards, or when he first let me drive the Wheel Horse, pulling the cart with all the trimmed branches stacked up and taking it out back to the burn pile, or driving the tractor around and picking up all the apples to take up by the house and run through the cider press.... Things I'll never have again, but ah, the memories.

I'm not trying to tell you, or anyone, how they should run their collection, but like I said, in my humble opinion, one should be in the hobby for the enjoyment and love of what they collect. There will always be someone who has a little more money or a few more things. As soon as you turn it into a contest about "he who has the most"... someone's gonna lose, someone's gonna get their feelings hurt, and then in an instant, it isn't fun anymore. So instead of enjoying what you have, you spend more time being disappointed and discouraged about what you don't.

jason (with way more dreams than means)

T-Mo

Well said, Jason. I couldn't agree more.

nylyon

Well Ben, there you have it. We just do this because we like it, what ever the reason, just for fun. One of the highlights of the summer for me was meeting up with Mike in July. Yup, he's got some good tractors no doubt about that, but even better than that, it was good to just meet a friend who I never would have met it if wasn't for these tractors. Oh, and I am envious of everyone elses tractors too :D but I have my small share which I have a lot of fun with.

Curmudgeon

PS. Tractors are cheaper than girlfriends, and you can shut them off when you don't wanna hear it !

:D:(:(:o:P:(

I laughed so hard I snorted.

Same can be said for wives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale

CHARGER9AUTO

Hey Ben. I dont think the higher the number of tractors is what makes someones collection better than others. True, I have a lot of complete tractors and 3 parts machines but sometimes I wish I had a few less so I could spend more time on one and not constantly getting side tracked midway thru a repair/project by another that needs something. Its a pain in the butt trying to remember which one had an oil change and which one had a tranny fluid swap and so on. Dont even get me started on the battery headaches I go thru everytime I need to use one thats been idle for awhile. I have a an awsome D-160 that I have owned for almost a year and I havent been able to use it because it needs a couple days attention and a few $$ put into it and I cant seem to find the time.

Mike......just venting

I needed to remove some brush branches that the tree people cut down with my '73 8 HP 4 SPEED and two wheel dump cart except this time I'd used the Green wagon with foldable sides I bring to the show every year to haul parts in . I understand what all you Guys are trying to say to me I got into this tractor hobby because I really enjoy attending the show in June and making new friends that has the same intrest as me if I've hurt or offended anyones feelings then I am

sorry I meant no harm . Ben :D

CHARGER9AUTO

Like Mike said, sometimes having more tractors is a pain. I have, let's see, at present count - 4 JDs, and 2 Wheel Horses. Not only do you need to keep the oil change, the filters clean, but they need to be run. Sometimes finding the time to play with them and drive them is hard, especially during the fall and winter when daylight is scarce. I ran the 314-8 a lot last weekend, but not the others. Friday and Saturday I ran the LT133 to bag leaves a lot, but didn't even start the others. Then comes the storage issue. There are times I think of thinning the herd and sometimes do just that, sell one or two off. But then a few weeks to a few months later I pick up another one or two. :D

Yeah. Ben

nylyon

I understand what all you Guys are trying to say to me I got into this tractor hobby because I really enjoy attending the show in June and making new friends that has the same intrest as me if I've hurt or offended anyones feelings then I am

sorry I meant no harm . Ben :D

Didn't hurt or offend me, just didn't want to see you go, hope you stick around for a good long time...

CHARGER9AUTO

Hey Ben don't knock your collection...I have heard you mention your 953 before.

Thats a very diserable tractor...worse off I had one "had gremlins" sold it to a friend & now miss it!

As Mike said haveing many tractors can become a maintanance nightmare.

Ben enjoy what you have...I would enjoy seeing pics of that 953?

The deals will come...can't look for them cause they normally just happen.

Stephen in northern IN

I don't know how to download the pictures of my 953 to show you steve. Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

Didn't hurt or offend me, just didn't want to see you go, hope you stick around for a good long time...

Karl, I will stick to the Wheel Horse tractor hobby without any tractors I'd would be board out of my mind . Ben

CasualObserver

I'm with Karl there... you're not offending anyone... I too hope you stick around for a long time, I don't like to see people leaving the hobby. (it means there's less brains for me to pick!) And as far as the pictures thing goes... find a nice site like Flickr or Photo Bucket and open a free account. as long as you make a public album (which means anyone can see it), you can either use the http:// button or the IMG button when your posting, and then put in the link (web address) that it asks for. It's pretty easy once you try it. Don't be afraid to try it, we won't laugh if you don't get it the first time, we all like to see each other's pictures. If you need some more help, by all means, ask. I'll help you. :D

CHARGER9AUTO

I'm with Karl there... you're not offending anyone... I too hope you stick around for a long time, I don't like to see people leaving the hobby. (it means there's less brains for me to pick!) And as far as the pictures thing goes... find a nice site like Flickr or Photo Bucket and open a free account. as long as you make a public album (which means anyone can see it), you can either use the http:// button or the IMG button when your posting, and then put in the link (web address) that it asks for. It's pretty easy once you try it. Don't be afraid to try it, we won't laugh if you don't get it the first time, we all like to see each other's pictures. If you need some more help, by all means, ask. I'll help you. :D

Yeah ok . Ben

kpinnc

I started collecting these things about 10 years ago. All of my friends think I'm just nuts. They play golf (not knocking it, just not my cup of tea...), and spend rediculous amounts of money on "men toys" like Harleys, the latest and greatest SUVs, bass boats, and whatever else just happens to be the flavor of the month.

Most of them give me grief over my hobby. Not one person my age understands why I like doing this so much. Who on earth wants to get greasy, dirty, and covered in blasting media and red paint? What is so great about a (gasp!!! :D ) lawnmower?

The people I've met, including you folks on this forum, are just one example of why I enjoy this so much, and why I hope to continue enjoying it until I simply can't do this anymore. Well, I'll just ride the tractors then, no more restoration! :P

I hope you stick around Ben. You obviously know how to make a tractor look nice, and I'll bet you enjoy making it look that good as much as the compliments you've gotten from it. Besides, if we all had the same tractors, we wouldn't talk about them nearly as much!

I also don't think anyone thinks anything bad because you vent some frustration either. God knows I've done it enough.

My $.02...

CHARGER9AUTO

I started collecting these things about 10 years ago. All of my friends think I'm just nuts. They play golf (not knocking it, just not my cup of tea...), and spend rediculous amounts of money on "men toys" like Harleys, the latest and greatest SUVs, bass boats, and whatever else just happens to be the flavor of the month.

Most of them give me grief over my hobby. Not one person my age understands why I like doing this so much. Who on earth wants to get greasy, dirty, and covered in blasting media and red paint? What is so great about a (gasp!!! :D ) lawnmower?

The people I've met, including you folks on this forum, are just one example of why I enjoy this so much, and why I hope to continue enjoying it until I simply can't do this anymore. Well, I'll just ride the tractors then, no more restoration! :P

I hope you stick around Ben. You obviously know how to make a tractor look nice, and I'll bet you enjoy making it look that good as much as the compliments you've gotten from it. Besides, if we all had the same tractors, we wouldn't talk about them nearly as much!

I also don't think anyone thinks anything bad because you vent some frustration either. God knows I've done it enough.

My $.02...

The first Wheel Horse tractor I picked up was a round nose '64 854 8 HP Kohler it got me interested in buying more Horses the next one was a '74 C-160 Auto well you know how it ends up add another then another tractor it's been 10 years since I started collecing them I'm going any where I :( Wheel Horses . Ben