Sign in to follow this  
dobeleo

Steering Wheel Help

dobeleo

HI Gang,

I started on this project last spring. It is a 1986 312-A that was sitting outside for over 15 years, as you can see it was starting to to rust a little

100_0066.jpg

Well after a little bit of grinding, sanding and painting I am to this stage:

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

WheelHorse312-ABackSide.jpg

I took off every bolt that was on it, except pulling apart the rear end, did tear apart the Eaton pump, rebuilt the engine, new piston and rings, rattle can paint job.

Now here is my problem, I drove the pin out of the steering wheel but cant pull it off. I put a puller on the shaft / steering wheel, and the tip of the puller sunk into the shaft.

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Dan

Shorewood, Illinois

dobeleo

Messed my pics, see below:

100_0066.jpg

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

WheelHorse312-ABackSide.jpg

dgjks6

looks great.

TT gave me this idea:

DSCF6264.jpg

DSCF6265.jpg

C-Series14

Did you spray anything on the shaft and wheel and let it soak?

dobeleo

Regarding spraying: Oh yea, I had it soaking for a week

Now regarding the pic in the vice, did you bang it from the back side? I may stop by my dads and try that, I broke my vice pressing out bearings, years ago before I knew what I was doing, not that im much better now.

C-Series14

Bring it by the house and we'll throw it in the 12 ton press!!! :hide:

dobeleo

Need to head to Ghent, KY in a month, I will keep you in mind if I dont have any luck!

Dan

Shorewood, IL

corn53

I threw mine in a 12 ton press and it still didnt move!!!! :hide:

dgjks6

Nope, twisted it.

I was able to do it by hand, but TT said you could put a 2x4 thorugh the steering wheel for better leverage. I did end up with vice marks on the steering shaft, but otherwise no problems.

dobeleo

soaked it good with pb blaster again earlier

Going to try some heat tomorrow and torque on the steering wheel tomorrow night

With all the rusted stuff i fought with on this project, this has been the worst!

can whlvr

i agreee that steering wheels are a real pain in the but,you dont want to break them,ive done restos and ended up not taking it off,just left it on the hood stand and worked around it

dobeleo

I have been soaking the steering wheel with PB Blaster and have the shaft in a vice and the steering wheel wont budge. I have been torquing on the wheel, hamering on it, tried a puller, no luck.

I am thinking about just cutting it off, and redrilling a new hole for a roll pin.

I should be able to drill out the shaft left in the steering wheel.

I am only shortening that shaft by an inch.

How crazy does that sound?

Thanks for your input!

Dan

Shorewood, IL

sorekiwi

I'd take it somewhere that has a hydraulic press.

Butch

A machine shop got mine apart. It took 12 ton on his press. I soaked it and even drilled along side the shaft to help in the soaking. No luck.

HorseFixer

On the 417A It cam right out, on the RJ's its a different story. <_< I dont fool around with them anymore, :WRS: If I cant easily drive the pin out I cut it off put it in a dill press vise and step drill it out in the dead center when you get close to the wheel hub you can take a hacksaw take blade off stick it through the hub and put blade back on saw and lightly cut in a couple places till yer almost at the hub then use a chisel or punch to remove shaft ring. Then replace with a piece of 3/4" blower shaft from yer HVAC Supply house is about $20.00 buckaroos. If a gear or pinion is on the other end I just grind the welds off and weld it back on. You will spend more time in aggrivation than the 20 bucks and the welding drilling and fabrication you will do. :hide:

WellsTC

A search for "steering wheel" in this forum led to this thread and an older thread "steering wheels, best method" => This www site is a great resource !

I bought an old very used WH 416-8 basically as a parts machine (but to initially help guide me while put my 416-8 basket case back together). The basket case is back together and running well. Now I'm taking the old very used 416-8 apart and having trouble getting the steering wheel off its shaft. As I figured, I'm not the first person with this trouble.

I just ordered the super penetrating oil but I do not expect it to work unless I'm very lucky. We don't own a press but taking it to a machine shop sounds like a interesting possiblity as does cutting the parts apart.

The old very used WH is in such poor condition that I do not plan to restore it. I am basically taking it apart to see if the chassis is suitable for a radical electric conversion. An electric conversion is expensive! http://www.motorcycleelectrickit.com/gpage4.html (I've done enough research to determine that the kit prices are reasonable.)

The specialized punches were news to me and could make a big difference since I don't have a well sized regular punch for this application. (I've been trying cut down nails as punches!).

Regardless, what I tried before coming "here" is to drill out the "roll-pin" but this approach is hard going. => Is the roll pin made of hardened steel ?

Has anyone ever drilled out the steering wheel roll-pin ?

Hearing that getting the steering wheel off the shaft can be harder makes the machine shop or cutting aproach sound wise.

Tom

P.S. I am also having trouble getting the hitch shaft out of the transmission housing......

dobeleo

I was able to remove the roll pin, I went to a friends shop who had a press, it didnt budge. I ended up cutting the side of the steering wheel down to the shaft, then was able to press it out. I can still use my roll pin when I re-install.

I will end up using some black RTV to repair the cut in the rubber.

Dan

Shorewood, IL

CasualObserver

Yes, roll pins are made of tempered steel, you won't be able to drill it unless you get it red hot to remove the temper.

If you have a tricky one, having a shop press it out will be the best way to save some sanity and knuckles.