Sign in to follow this  
bmwford94

B-80 8 speed

bmwford94

Just recently starte looking for a newer better lawn mower, do you think a b-80 8 speed will do good for mowing grass it is $250 for the tractor and deck. Is this a good deal?

dgjks6

for $250 if it runs and has a good deck you can't go wrong.

Kelly

what he said, if it runs good and drives out good, not all rusted up,with out a deck it's a $200-300 tractor

hodge

The B-80 is a very well built, economical tractor. You can keep one going for just about ever. The biggest issue is keeping a solid mower deck- the tractor is easy to maintain, and parts from many different models will work on it. I'd buy it long before getting one of the stamped metal throw away mowers.

bmwford94

I think its a good deal as well, th deck does have the typical rust like all decks get but the thing is very nice overall. Also I was wondering just out of curiosity could you put a loader on one of these? Id love to have a loader but have never found one yet. Just curious and thanks!

chesbaycruiser

I have the four speed and love it! Jump on it!!!

bmwford94

I'm hoping to pick it up this week. I'm excited now!! Thanks

bmwford94

I also saw in some YouTube videos of the b-80 there is a clutch or brake on the left side as normal. What is the pedal on the right side?

TT

One pedal = B-80 4 speed (clutch & brake on same pedal)

Two pedals = B-80 8 speed (L pedal - clutch / R pedal - brake)

bmwford94

Sounds good, I was wondering because I've never seen two petals before thanks!

chesbaycruiser

FYI...my 1975 B-80 4 speed has separate clutch and brake pedals.

Horse-Drawn

mine too! ...clutch on left, brake on right

TT

One pedal = B-80 4 speed (clutch & brake on same pedal)

Two pedals = B-80 8 speed (L pedal - clutch / R pedal - brake)

Yeah...... oops. :wh:

I am allowed a screw up once in a while. :thumbs: It's only been about 5 years since I had a B-80 4 speed, but with 20 or 30 other tractors since, it's hard to keep track.

As far as I know, velocipedes still have two pedals though. :D

HankB

Also I was wondering just out of curiosity could you put a loader on one of these? Id love to have a loader but have never found one yet. Just curious and thanks!

I know very little about loaders on Wheel Horses but since no one else answered that question I'll offer my $0.02. (That's ignorance speaking here and perhaps someone who knows more will answer.)

A loader puts a lot of weight on the front suspension. What size spindles are on the B-80? How long will they last? Does the B-80 have as robust a frame as it's larger brethren? I would suspect not but I don't really know. I do know it doesn't have power steering.

In any case, any of the WH tractors except perhaps the D series and perhaps some of the larger C models or the 5xx series are marginal to support a loader. IMO a loader is a good fit on a compact utility tractor. My son has a Cub Cadet 7000 series (3 cyl diesel, 4WD, power steering ...) on which he put a loader and it's pretty nice. But he's probably close to $10K into that with stuff like a woods mower, tiller, box blade and some other attachments.

I think a loader on a B-80 would have to be fairly light duty which would limit it's usefulness. Nevertheless, I sure wish I had one when we had snow drifts several feet deep. :thumbs:

bmwford94

Thanks for the reply on the pedals as well as the loader. I've yet to see a loader on a wheelhorse in PA. My parts friends who have a vast collection of every wheelhorse created supriaingly don't own a loader yet. Thank you and my questiOns were answered.

c175inMA

a loader is listed under the attachments on toros website. Good luck finding one though :thumbs:

JC 1965

That B-80 is a strong little tractor. Sounds like a good price, I would buy it. Good luck!! :thumbs:

bmwford94

it will be here on saturday, i am going to change the oil, mess around with it for a bit then mow some grass with it. Then during the winter i plan to restore it, and even plow snow.

hodge

Also I was wondering just out of curiosity could you put a loader on one of these? Id love to have a loader but have never found one yet. Just curious and thanks!

I know very little about loaders on Wheel Horses but since no one else answered that question I'll offer my $0.02. (That's ignorance speaking here and perhaps someone who knows more will answer.)

A loader puts a lot of weight on the front suspension. What size spindles are on the B-80? How long will they last? Does the B-80 have as robust a frame as it's larger brethren? I would suspect not but I don't really know. I do know it doesn't have power steering.

In any case, any of the WH tractors except perhaps the D series and perhaps some of the larger C models or the 5xx series are marginal to support a loader. IMO a loader is a good fit on a compact utility tractor. My son has a Cub Cadet 7000 series (3 cyl diesel, 4WD, power steering ...) on which he put a loader and it's pretty nice. But he's probably close to $10K into that with stuff like a woods mower, tiller, box blade and some other attachments.

I think a loader on a B-80 would have to be fairly light duty which would limit it's usefulness. Nevertheless, I sure wish I had one when we had snow drifts several feet deep. :thumbs:

The B-80 is just as strong as it's bigger brethern. It may not have the big spindles or axles, but many Horses don't. It also may not have an 8 pinion rear, but many others don't. The frame, front axle, rear end, etc. are all the same stuff. If a C-120 or 160 will take a loader, the B-80 will, too. The question is, how well the 8 horsepower will do running the pump and moving the tractor when working it. That is the all important question.

That being said, I think you would be more satisfied with a loader on a higher horsepower tractor.

Mark

bmwford94

well my luck ended. The guy i was buying this off of sold it for $50 less than i was giving him. That in my opinion was about stuid, so now im again looking for a classic to newer wheelhorse.