Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Stevebo's New Horse Hauler ....

stevebo

Well in the last 24 hours I have a deposit donw on my Tahoe and I put a deposit down on this bad boy !! It is a 96 GMC 3500 Turbo Diesel Dually 4x4 that is really clean. Has 115k original on it. I hope to close the deals in the next 48 hours. I have done research on the motor of this truck and I believe the 97 and 98's had the most issues. The only thing I think is recommended on this one is to relocate the pump towards the front. I know that many people will give me a hard time about the fuel mileage however this is NOT a daily driver. I have a little Nissan 4cyl hardroll for that. This one is for working around the house and hauling the trailer/boat etc. I am a newbie to Diesels so any advise would be great. Thanks-

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

wh-jason

good luck with that 6.5, i had one in a 1994 3/4 ton and it was the biggest piece of crap ive ever owned. it ruined me on diesels forever.

Bill

Yeah Good luck with that Steve, I had the same truck that my company gave me in 1996 and in 1998 GM put a new motor in it for us at there cost.. I really wasn't happy at all with it. In that 2 yrs it was at the dealer more then it was with me

Coadster32

Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting. Good luck with it. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Some of the 90 GMs had troubles with the turbo. We had one were I used to work and it had three turbos in a year and then the dealer eliminated it. Even with the turbo it wouldn't get out of its on way. We had a 89 ford with a non turbo 7.9 that would run circles around the chevy but not near as nice as the chevy. It was a real piece. Dam nice truck other than that rode nice comfortable and towed really well with the exception of power.

KC9KAS

Sounds like you guys have "burst" Stebo's bubble!

jimbotelho

Guys just got home and steve did get a great deal on this truck( even though its not a ford) n We just drove a 100 miles or so and it is na sound truck and in great shape good luck with it son dad :thumbs: :wh:

HorseFixer

Thats a nice Cow Boy Cadillac :wh: That should haul the horses :thumbs:

zieg72

That is one fine looking truck. I am Chevy man, have 5 trucks, I approve...

Butch

She looks nice Stevebo. If you need any help my Ford diesel can give you a tow!! :thumbs: Good luck with her.

perry

love the chevy duallys :wh: .

my old boss had a 97 GMC 1 ton diesel work van, had injector pump changed soo many times, we lost count :thumbs: .

stevebo

Okay guys.... I was able to seal the deal on selling my Tahoe and buying my new ride. I actually met my buyer at my seller's house in NJ :thumbs: It worked out better as they lived only about 30 mins apart. The truck runs real strong and I am very happy with the end result. Here are a few more pics of it after a very quick wash...

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

perry

thats in great lookin shape for a 96 :thumbs: .

i have allways wanted a GMC dually

stevebo

Thanks Perry. I purchased it from the second owner who only had it for 6 months. The truck is a Virginia truck so it is very clean. There is one area that I will need to take care of that has some rust starting but overall very clean.

Gerry w

That truck looks new! Great grab, even if it's NOT a Ford!! :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Looks like a really nice truck Steve, Good luck!

Ken B

Looks great Steve. Scratch any idea of hookin a chain between our trucks. I still might beat ya to the top of the hill though. :thumbs:

Uncle BO

steve that is a fine looking truck,it will serve you fine goog luck :thumbs:

truckin88

All you Ford guys, if it is a 7.3 you get my respect but the 6.0 from the 2007 era is the biggest piece of junk Ford ever made, it made Ford kick navistar out and develop their own deisels, my job has gone through so many of those 6.0's at around 70K, and we change the oil etc, every 4K or 4months.

Steve really nice truck, those 90's GM's have a huge aftermarket for accessories...please remove the GMC from the backrack...that looks odd....Best of luck on the truck.

BTW if you want a real plow, I know someone who has a mint one that would fit! :thumbs:

jdog_kustoms

steve thats one nice truck (im a chevy man by heart) and if you ever have trouble with the engine its not to hard to put a 12 valve cummins in it then you would have one hell of a truck lol

stevebo

Will,

I agree the GMC logo needs to be removed. I will be cutting that out soon. I would like to find a tailgate for it and put a cover over the bed too.

Ken B

Steve what type of cover are you thinking about? I was thinking about putting an old school tonneau cover on mine as it had one on there once upon a time. I went down to Cap City to get some prices on some alternative options but I gave up with them. I waited for twenty minutes while they were helping this one guy, not to mention there were four other people in front of me! I'm not the most patient guy out there. Are you home after 3:30 today? I'd like to check that rig out.

stevebo

Ken,

I should be. Give me a call when you are ready to stop up.

mavfreak

All you Ford guys, if it is a 7.3 you get my respect but the 6.0 from the 2007 era is the biggest piece of junk Ford ever made, it made Ford kick navistar out and develop their own deisels, my job has gone through so many of those 6.0's at around 70K, and we change the oil etc, every 4K or 4months.

Steve really nice truck, those 90's GM's have a huge aftermarket for accessories...please remove the GMC from the backrack...that looks odd....Best of luck on the truck.

BTW if you want a real plow, I know someone who has a mint one that would fit! :thumbs:

Couldn't agree more on 6.0!

The diesel that GM makes now is an awesome engine! Same with the new Ford!

They all have come so far in since the 90s and early turn of the century

Nice truck steve, Did the previous owner give you any maintenance records?

JC 1965

:wh: Good lookin truck, those diesels will run forever with just a little maintenance. That truck looks like it has been well cared for. I always say as long as the person paying for something is happy with it, then that all that matters. :thumbs: Just my 2 cents worth !!