stevasaurus

4 SPEED #5085 Trans rebuild Videos & Pics

Terry M

Steve,watched your videos on the uni-d assembly. I feel better about tackleing my rebuild. looks alot easier than I thought! Thanks,

Terry

Martin

terry, after youve done your first, you will be thinking to yourself....'that wasnt really that bad at all!' :handgestures-thumbup:

Terry M

terry, after youve done your first, you will be thinking to yourself....'that wasnt really that bad at all!' :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Martin! last night I started tinkering with my spare trans and it was a BEAR just trying to get that pin out of that implement lift piece. WOW! My next chance I'm going to pull the caseing apart and see how it looks...

Thanksagain!

smoreau

Steve!! that picnic table you were building that trans on is lacking some wheels!! I know you can build a trans for it. :ychain: Great video Steve! I watched it 2 times!

stevasaurus

Thanks guys. Scott, I have been looking at that table...if you know what I mean.

Terry, piece of cake. Make sure you have the shallow side of the transmission down when you split the trans. :)

Terry M

Any ideas how to remove the woodruff key off the input shaft? It won't come off.(?)

Wyattrrp

I greatly appreciate this work o flove Steveasaurus. Your time to put this togeather will be appreciated forever on this site. Well done !!!

stevasaurus

Terry, I have an old wood chisel that I use for stubborn wood ruff keys. Come at it from the length of the axle, once you dig in a little (soft metal) it will pry right out. Pick up a new one at Ace Hardware, or TSC.

Terry M

Terry, I have an old wood chisel that I use for stubborn wood ruff keys. Come at it from the length of the axle, once you dig in a little (soft metal) it will pry right out. Pick up a new one at Ace Hardware, or TSC.

Thanks steve for the tip, I was afraid of wrecking the key.

Jon Steffen

ok where is the video of this rebuild

stevasaurus

Jon...the last 2 pictures in the first post are videos...just click on those pictures.

Fun Engineer

Steve or anyone.

Is there a way to down load this video to my laptop? I don't have internet service where my tractor is and would like to complete my rebuild this weekend.

Thanks

Martin

Steve or anyone.

Is there a way to down load this video to my laptop? I don't have internet service where my tractor is and would like to complete my rebuild this weekend.

Thanks

just click on the pic of the video from steves first post. then when the video opens/starts playing in photobucket, cursor over the video and across the top of the video frame will be 'file', move over that and click 'download'. select where you want to save it.

Fun Engineer

Thanks Martin. That worked perfectly. Now I'll need to cover the keyboard with plastic wrap to keep it clean while I put this back together.

jace84miller

Steve the videos are very helpful. Did you replace all the bearings that are in the trans cases? I've got mine apart and i'm wondering if they would be ok to reuse if I clean them up real good and pack some quality grease in them. Also what's the best way to get the woodruff key off the "input shaft". I't won't budge and I don't want to bugger it up.

stevasaurus

How ya doing? I am not opposed to reusing a bearing that looks and feels like it is OK. You really have no choice with the #1533 ball bearing...can't get them anymore. I do exactly what you are talking about...clean them real good in mineral spirits, blow them out and the pack them with bearing grease. I have replaced all the bearings in a couple of transmissions, but they had water in them and the bearings were rusted. I always replace all the seals.

The woodruff keys are available at ACE Hardware, TSC for a few cents. Take a chisel and hit at it along the length of the shaft...you will loosen it and hopefully notch into it. Keep hitting the chisel and prying with it...the key will pop out. Sometimes you have to file the new key a little for a good easy fit also. Hope that helps. :)

Wishin4a416

Thanks Steve!!!! Very helpful and informative.

my new toy

Hi Guy's:I have A 1975 W/H C120, Axel seal leaks I pulled of the hub ith no problem, doesn't seem to have a bearing problen ( no Slop Seems tight). I have worked on a lot of small engins, what i want to know is the best way to remove the old seal with out damaging the axel or ths housing. Any Ideas?????

I am new here love this site. A neighbor gave me this tractor and i am rebuild it. I also have a MTD Yard mechine, it's really not as heavey duty.

Thank You  My New Toy

stevasaurus

An ice pick or an awl works good...especially if the awl has a bend in it near the point.  Some guys use a small sheet metal screw...start it and then pry on it.  It should pop right out.  They are only about 1/8" thick. :)

Jeff-C175

I used a thin screwdriver on mine, pried the outer metal lip up enough to get a bigger screwdriver in and they popped right out.  If they are the original OEM seals, it might be a bit harder than the CR/SK 11124 seals because they are a wider flange.

Turn the hub around and use the flat side as a slide hammer to seat the new seal.  Don't wail on it, go slow... tap  tap  tap ...

Zeus55

Why do I need the manual for :confusion-confused:

When you have Steve you don't need it... great job :thumbs:

• Like 1

Phil Burley

A very useful video , but I am a bit confused  about 3 speeds and 4 speeders , Ours is called a 4 speed , but only 3 forward gears  and a reverse , do the 3 speeders only have 2 forward gears  and a reverse? please excuse my ignorance , but just trying to learn

Regards Phil

tech270154

thanks   nice explanation

Charley

stevasaurus I ordered kit #1. I believe the kit is short 1 #1532 bearing. Would you verify that I need 2 of these to complete this tranny rebuild?

Snoopy11
On 4/15/2011 at 11:17 AM, stevasaurus said:

Still useful in 2021...

Thanks, Steve!

Don

• Like 1