Sign in to follow this  
N1GHT0WL

1978 C-141 8-speed Restoration

N1GHT0WL

Sorry for the double post, but I updated this over in the welcome area too...

Well after a year of sidetracks and setbacks, mostly with house-related projects, I have finally started tearing into the C-141. Some initial pics...

Not really sure what I am doing or how much I want to invest, but I figure that I will at minimum do a full repaint and engine rebuild. The tranny seems solid and was actually replaced in '84 according to my dad. No idea how many hours might be on the engine, but a rough estimate would be 1200 hours. Last time this thing ran reguarly was summer of '99 and she quit in a cloud of smoke! I had a '92 316-8 to use, so at the time no point in restoring it then. Not to mention I was a long-haired punk back then with other priorities! haha.

So after sitting in a barn and encased in pigeon poo for 10 years, the deck is very rough... If you look close at the 2nd pic, you can see "daylight" in a couple spots, lol. It's probably beyond repair, but we'll see when I get to that point.

WH1.jpg

WH2.jpg

rmaynard

Always glad to see another restoration begin.

Take an inventory or sheet metal and other parts that you might need. I am getting ready to take a load of C-101 metal to the recycler. Although it is mostly rusted, it is still pretty good. I don't have a need for it, and if you can use it, I'd rather see it go back into a tractor.

Bob

C-Series14

Have fun on your C-141. I restored mine last year. If you need any help, just ask. As far as what I spent, not really sure. Don't keep track of it. I did replace 90 percent of the hardware with stainless steel hardware, ordered alot of parts, (make a list as you take it apart and order all at the same time, saves on shipping.) I use sepw.com

I went thru alot of paint, Krylon Banner Red and Krylon light gray. I don't get too serious like most do, just clean, sand or sandblast, fix, primer, and paint, put it back together. It gets used so it will get scratched. New decals and other parts from some vendors on here. Have a place to hang and paint parts, take pics before and during if you want, once you have done several, you can forget the pics! :thumbs:

(helps to have several just like it in the barn actually!) :wh:

Oh, and it looks like you have 312 front wheels on it, do you have the originals?

wh5208speed

Mike,

Where are you picking up your stainless steel hardware? I have found a few places that sell it....but never a wide range that would cover all my needs for a restoration project. :thumbs:

Thanks,

Thad

smoreau

Mike,

Where are you picking up your stainless steel hardware? I have found a few places that sell it....but never a wide range that would cover all my needs for a restoration project. :thumbs:

Thanks,

Thad

Try Mid States Bolt and Screw. There is 6 locations in MI and they do ship to other states. They always have what I'm looking for in stainless and any thing else that is a screw or bolt. Nice c141 resto. should turn out very nice! :D :wh:

C-Series14

Mike,

Thanks,

Thad

ACE Hardware...probably more expensive than other places but I just go get it and don't worry about it too much...I have several containers I keep it all in so I buy some every time I go in and build it up.

JC 1965

:wh: Tractor looks very sound, should make a fine restoration project. Good luck with it and take lots of pics, so we can share it with you. :thumbs: