Sign in to follow this  
repairman

need help with engine replacement

repairman

trying to figure out what will work under the hood of this lawn ranger with out modification or minimal I looked at Briggs 6.5 hp and Kohler 6.5 hp these Engines both

have forward swept cylinders and I am not sure that they will work also the shaft sizes on these are only 3/4 so a new pulley will be needed so any suggestion or close up pic's off replacements already done would be a lot of help.

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

smoreau

My lawn ranger is a 66 and has a k161 on it. here are some pics.

068.jpg

066.jpg

065.jpg

hope these help :wh: :thumbs:

repairman

that is a nice job but I was thinking of a new Engine replacement I think some folks here

have used Honda's but not sure what else will work I think there was a thread about

Harbor Freight Engines used on these tractors if one of those fits right on then a new

Briggs will work also :thumbs:

littleredrider

I have a 63 ranger with a 13 horse HF clone on it. The 65 I think to 68 rangers have the gas tank mounted on the engine, whereas the older ones it's seperate.

My other ranger is a 67, I put a Kohler 8 horse in it, and didn't have to modify anything other than the gas tank mount.

I think if you get the 6 horse HF engine it will fit under the hood of either ranger. I'm thinking of going this route, the k181 is getting tired I think...

repairman

Do you have a pic of the H F 13hp on the tractor? making a bracket to support the gas tank is not a problem I just don't want to Hood Wacked :thumbs:

smoreau

Do you have a pic of the H F 13hp on the tractor? making a bracket to support the gas tank is not a problem I just don't want to Hood Wacked :thumbs:

I agree to not wrecking that hood.

littleredrider

I didn't have to hack the hood. I wouldn't have used that engine if I had to, probly still have the Tecky in there, or would have sold it....

rustbucket

I know your looking to not do to much mods to no mods if any to fit an engine in. just thought id post a few pictures of a lawn ranger project my dad is doing that might get your mind going hmm maybe that would work.

0319111807.jpg

0319111807b.jpg

0319111807a.jpg

my dads evil idea make a lawn ranger 8 speed pulling tractor with an 18 hp magnum kohler engine. :thumbs:

repairman

your dad is making a wicked horse :wh:

I'd just like mine to remain original with the exception of a new low maintenance engine

still want to use the tractor for trim mowing both my wife a daughter may use it so it needs to be safe and easy to operate :thumbs:

repairman

Is this the one with the 13hp HF clone on it?

2113949120043830172OqGYXv_ph.jpg

did you move the motor back so that the cylinder would clear the hood?

littleredrider

Yes that's a 13 horse clone. if you look upside down at the recoil you can see it. Turned it that way so I could start while sitting on the tractor. (Gonna paint it soon as it gets warm enough)

If you look, there is a plate that I made so I could bolt the motor to the frame without cutting or drilling holes in the frame. This way I can unbolt it and bolt to another tractor, and bolt the original motor on the ranger if I want to.

Because the cylinder is on an angle, needed to move the engine back. I could have gone back a touch more, but was real close to the glass bowl that was on there, but brought the fuel line lower than the carb. Don't have a fuel pump on there.

repairman

That is a pretty good job! I think a 6.5 hp HF Engine would bolt right on without any

changes? :thumbs: They are on sale this month for $94.99 I just want to be sure before

I buy one :wh:

littleredrider

I'm thinking of getting one too. Got a coupon for additional amount, can't really go wrong that cheap. Guess you can make 20 horse out of those, which is what I'm thinking cause I can't leave anything alone....

can whlvr

i have a true honda on my 308,love it,i have a 6.5 on my c120,its a chinese motor,i hate it,it doesnt start good and runs like crap,i guess you get what you pay for,some people like them,i will never use another chinese piece of crap,jmo

littleredrider

Since there is no way to adjust the carb on a clone, I'd imagine it would run like crap. Don't understand why no adjustments...

sorekiwi

One thing to keep in mind with an engine swap is that if you move the engine back then the end of the crank where you fit the PTO ends up in a different spot.

No big deal, until you want to run a mower deck or snow blower or anything else that needs to be driven by the PTO.

A lot of the "modern" engines are using the slanted cylinder, which wont fit under a roundhood unless you move the motor back a few inches.

Personally I'd go for a small block Kohler and be done with it.

repairman

yea Kohler is great if you can find one and then you can spend a lot of $$$ trying to make one run right and not to mention parts you know we all love these machines but we cant all be putting them back to original there is simply not enough stuff available

any more so alternative solution's is a given :thumbs: