Sign in to follow this  
garybllrdr

shifter seems to be stuck in high gear

garybllrdr

my wheel horse c-125 was working fine then it got stuck in high gear the shifter seems to move except does not take it out of gear any suggesstions as what to do? its an 8 speed trans btw

racinfool40

:thumbs: Well 1st I would check the roll pin that holds the shifter on the rod that sticks out of the tranny. If thats not it then I 'd say your gonna have to split the tranny.. Look at a few of the threads right below yours and you can see what everyone else has done. And let us know what you find :wh:

garybllrdr

roll pin was toast after new roll pin installed still can not shift ant gears

stevasaurus

Is the trans stuck in "high" range, or is it stuck in 3rd gear??? :thumbs:

pfrederi

pull the shifter out again. Then using a big screw driver try to move one of the shifter forks side to side center it then do the same to the other so you have a nice square hole. If you can't move one or the other forks there is a bigger problem. If you can look at the ball end of the shifter is it round?

wheelhorse raider14

I have the same problem with my 8 speed

racinfool40

by the way it sounds it could be the high low shifter fork as you can see in the pics it's not that stout. It either gets wore out or the weld breaks that holds the fork on:

013.jpg

010.jpg

garybllrdr

so trans needs splitted then

stevasaurus

If you checked and answered the questions above, and the problem was not solved...then yes it is time to split the trans.

garybllrdr

Ok after checking forks and all as listed above i noticed the shifter its self looked bent in a fe places not letting it go back into shifter slots on frame so i starightended out the extra looking bends. after heating the metal, and no low and hehold it shifts no problem almost like new. guess my son when roll pin went out tried to force it a lot to much.

thanks everyone. was kinda lost with out that thing running, seems like as soon as it went down i neeed it for 10 difffrent things

stevasaurus

Glad you found the problem and got it fixed. :thumbs: Much easier then dropping that trans. :D :wh: