Sign in to follow this  
Janacek

Engines

Janacek

i did a search on the site and didn't find much on smoking motors so thats why i started this topic. i just picked up an 854 (most of you have probably seen the post on it) and got it fired up this morning. she smokes. not awful, but visibly in the day light. now, it sounds like the motor last ran about a year ago and i noticed it was low on oil. I added oil so it was where it should be on the dip stick and got it to fire real easy. now my understanding is that if a motor smokes its probably got scored walls or bad rings, is there anything that doesn't require a full over haul that can fix smoking or is there something else that could likely be causing it? any input would be great. thanks

Kelly

First when you check the oil in the engines with the screw in dip stick you don't screw it in to check it, just set the threads on top of the block, not sure if you knew that, then you can check the breather, to see if it is plugged? you will have to pull the carb and take the breather apart, you will probably need a set of breather gaskets, lay the parts out in order taking note on where the top is on each part, very important, but you will probably need to put a set of rings in it, at the very least, and hone the cyl. pull the head and see what it looks like in there, see if the piston is sloppy in the bore.

Kelly

Where are my manors, :thumbs:

mavfreak

:thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Hi Justin, :thumbs:

John

WH854

:wh: :thumbs:

Chas

sgtsampay

corn53

wheelhorse656

kthack657

hodge

Welcome, and I didn't know that Britney Spears was into Wheel Horses....

she should be sitting on a tractor, instead of a chair...

theoldwizard1

now my understanding is that if a motor smokes its probably got scored walls or bad rings, is there anything that doesn't require a full over haul that can fix smoking or is there something else that could likely be causing it?

I'm not an expert on Kohler engines, but there is another common cause of smoke. Worn valve seals.

Daddy Don

can whlvr

KB9LOR

Here is my experience with Kohler single cylinders, if it is blue smoke it is rings, very rare has it been the valves(not that it can't be) I would pull the head and see what kind of play is in the piston, do this about half way down the cylinder, the top and bottom will give a false reading, because the lower cylinder wall is never as wore as the top of the cylinder, and the middle will be less wore than the top but more than the bottom, hard to explain in words, also upon pulling the head look for carbon(burnt oil) on topn of piston and around valves, then turn the head you just took off over and see if it has carbon around spark plug area. I know this because I just tore down and rebuilt 2 k301AS's in the last 2 weeks. one smoked like a freight train and just needed Piston rings and rod, the other smoked, but not as bad, did the same to it also, Oh and took out the "grenade gears" both run excellent now.

VinsRJ